PDA

View Full Version : Potential Buy 1997 GSX

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25

SlowWhite
06-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Im officially done with this thread, so scattered, not taking any advice, good luck sir.

How so? Im listening to everyone's advice.

-Oil type...check 10w-30
-Coolant system.....check
replace the broken heater core, hook up all coolant lines, fans on via link, water wetter, im upgrading all the parts you listed other then water pump for now. I will do everything just takes time even if the car sits but everything you all have suggested is on the list)
-Oil cooler....check..... will dive into this if the coolant issue persists but id imagine there is something else wrong if its not fixed at that point (motor issues would be my guess)

Dyno tuning - definetely not close to ready for that way to many issues to make it worth the price at the moment

-pull a part... makes sense I just happened to like to one stop shop. If the prices are close enough to other places. Then so be it if not of course ill just keep looking?

-wideband sensor , still working with on this with ecmlink forum, once it'd made official that it needs replacement that will be replaced with everything else from map. For now im doing everything im being asked to do by jery1234 on there.

Have I missed something else?

SlowWhite
06-19-2014, 08:17 PM
And Halon, i just want to say again thank you and thank you to everyone who's chiming in and answering my questions and giving me constructive advice.

I hope you all will continue to chime in even if its only when I finally start making progress on fixing all this stuff.

You all are an extremely valuable resource of knowledge and I am grateful to have that knowledge at my disposal, if im making a blatant mistake on something or have miss understood your advice please tell me.

dsmreck
06-19-2014, 10:26 PM
holy balls this thing is still going? wasn't this car done and ready to go? Maybe i'm assuming things here sorry just don't have time to read after seeing halons post.

SlowWhite
07-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Well over the 4th, since I was banned decided to swap out thermostats for stock one as well as 15% coolant, distilled water and water wetter and did an oil change.

To start with found the thermostat in there was basically there for the gasket there no middle section you could see straight through (basically center was removed) I have picts but will load them when I do my build thread.

Only drove the car in town short distances and coolant temps were around 206-216

However first trip to work today and a 22miles trip. By the time I got to work and let it idle temps wete at 226 again. So lools like a radiator is next.

And we'll would say I would order it this week only now the motor in my X5 is out yet again after 29,000 miles. Warranty was for 25,000 go figure as thats just my luck.

Kracka
07-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Sounds like the previous owner was aware of the high coolant temp issue if he already gutted the thermostat. Hopefully a new radiator helps...and good luck with your X5.

SlowWhite
07-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Sounds like the previous owner was aware of the high coolant temp issue if he already gutted the thermostat Hopefully a new radiator helps...and good luck with your X5.

Thanks, im pretty sure im just going to unload both my bmws and get a truck for the wife.

Her 740 now has the same vanos timing system check engine light my x5 had when the motor went oit the first time. only this one is pulling a code for both not just one. I cleared the code friday and it came back this morning. Supposedly its a $2200 fix for a car not even worth $3500.

Btw doesnt scale there parts like the rest of the car companies it seems.

SlowWhite
07-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Update - ordered up my first parts from map yesterday.
xline radiator and mishimoto radiator cap.

With it raining a lot lately outside temps have been in the high 80's and in turn my coolant temps have been anywhere from 193-206 cruising all week. But I know its not even the peak of the warm weather yet here. So I went ahead and ordered it up as august usually is the hottest time of the year with regular outside temps over 105+ and I know that is just going to put the car back to where it was with coolant temps.

I also found a guy selling a gForce carbon fiber hook never installed here locally (20miles from my house)
I did a quick search and cheapest if found them for was $600 and I believe it was vibrating listed it as $1000 (did the search a few days ago)i know I was reading a thread a few days ago from dsmwreck where they were looking into hoods for the white 2g.... what would be a good price for that hood?

What he emailed me for asking price is almost borderline to good to pass up kind of situation. I planned to replace my hood this coming tax season as the edge of mine looks like it was dropped or something and is bent. So before I get paint I was going to replace or have to have it fixed.

If it wasn't for his asking price I wouldn't even normally consider it till I got a few more things for my car that normally would taken priority

SlowWhite
07-11-2014, 08:29 PM
http://www.carid.com/1998-mitsubishi-eclipse-custom-hoods/vis-racing-hood-13005974.html

Here's a link to the hood in question

SlowWhite
07-11-2014, 08:32 PM
http://www.andysautosport.com/mitsubishi/1995_1999_eclipse/exterior/hoods/carbon_fiber_hoods/vis_racing/visr01020559.html

Same hood only different company/price.

tehehodi
07-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Can you just make a build thread already?

http://fav.me/d5cx9mx