MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 03-10-2021   #1
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
I finally have another Mitsubishi...yes this is my old stealth

Well I bought it back last weekend.

After selling it roughly 12 years ago I bought it back from the guy I sold it to. It came complete with everything I sold with it.

Acquisition and drive video:

https://youtu.be/qhv4Ps35tuc

So why?

The Corvette has hit the point to where I don't want to go much further and ruin it's street car"ness"

I feel like I have unfinished business with this platform.

The plan?

Assess parts conditions and start to acquire parts end of 2021. I need to build my shop this summer first before I tear it apart. Right now the car is loaded up with parts that I sold with it. I'll probably start with the PTE 76mm GTS single that came with it.

The parts?

76mm single to start, bigger later once I shake out the bugs (I expect the turbo to get me into the 9's)
E85/98 fuel to start
6g72 based engine
AWD Auto transmission
Proper suspension/drivetrain/tires
Keep the chassis as light as possible (for those that don't know this has a 8.5 second NHRA certified cage in it).

The goal?
Get kicked out as the cage isn't certified enough. I want to put this car well into the 8's, maybe better as time progresses. No rush but there isn't constraints on this car.

Do it right, do it proper, don't be a cheap ass. This is the new money pit.

Anyone need any 3s parts? I've got a few parts transmissions and a complete one, some stock engine parts, transfer case stuff that I know I won't be using.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stealth aquisition intro picture edited.jpg
Views:	1704
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	17399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front shot.jpg
Views:	1725
Size:	696.8 KB
ID:	17400  
Old 03-10-2021   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: I finally have another Mitsubishi...yes this is my old stealth

You know who to call when you're ready for some of that E98 eliteness.

Did the buyer turned seller ever do anything with it, or did it just sit there as you left it?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021   #3
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Nice, Congrats! Should be fun to play with it again at this stage of life. Good luck with the performance goals, should be fun for us to watch.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021   #4
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
You know who to call when you're ready for some of that E98 eliteness.

Did the buyer turned seller ever do anything with it, or did it just sit there as you left it?
He didn't touch it. I still don't get it. Well I take that back, he bought a stock motor and transmission for it and then didn't touch it.

Didn't realize you were in the E98 game. I'll need barrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Nice, Congrats! Should be fun to play with it again at this stage of life. Good luck with the performance goals, should be fun for us to watch.
Thank you sir! It should be an adventure for sure. Hope to do it right and make it entertaining in the process. I'm excited to get started on it; but adulting takes priority and I have other projects ahead of it.
Old 03-11-2021   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
Didn't realize you were in the E98 game. I'll need barrels.
How about a tote? Probably be easier to haul in the bed of a pickup (or on a trailer) that way. I could do $2.50/gal if you get the tote and drive up to one of my plants (Hereford or Plainview, TX).
Old 03-12-2021   #6
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Re-buy is awesome, congrats! Can’t believe previous owner did nothing with it for a decade, did you sell it running condition? Any more miles on it? New plans sound amazing and also deep money pit haha. I thought it had twin 16g but that was a long time ago and my memory probably wrong.

Quote:
How about a tote? Probably be easier to haul in the bed of a pickup (or on a trailer) that way. I could do $2.50/gal if you get the tote and drive up to one of my plants (Hereford or Plainview, TX).
Like one of those 300ish gallon plastic chemical cubes they use in agriculture? Dayum that’s a lot of fuel haha. I guess they are airtight but I’d be worried about water absorption over time.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021   #7
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Like one of those 300ish gallon plastic chemical cubes they use in agriculture? Dayum that’s a lot of fuel haha. I guess they are airtight but I’d be worried about water absorption over time.
Correct, typically ~300 gallons. Really depends how quickly he plans to go through it, but 6 months to a year would be no issue at all. Moisture absorption is one of the benefits of ethanol vs. gasoline, plus it doesn't have an additive pack to go stale while sitting around.
Old 03-12-2021   #8
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Deal! I'll look into this in a year or two when I need it; nice to know you still have connections near here. I can just use my trailer and tote it; remove with my tractor. Tractor can't do much more than 1000lbs on the nose so it might be a few smaller totes; easier to keep sealed; or I borrow a neighbors bigger kubota and can do 3k.

I'll reach out to you when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Re-buy is awesome, congrats! Can’t believe previous owner did nothing with it for a decade, did you sell it running condition? Any more miles on it? New plans sound amazing and also deep money pit haha. I thought it had twin 16g but that was a long time ago and my memory probably wrong.
It was twin SCM 50 trims making 720awhp back in 2005-6? In 2007/8 it went to a PTE 76mm single. That made 1 dyno pull and if memory serves correct did 5xx on a break in pull and pushed coolant due to head machine issues. We shut down the shop and I sold it in pieces. Shortblock went one way, AEM went the other, radiator and suspension another, someone wanted the fuel pumps... Everything else went with this car. (Single turbo setup, caged car, etc). From what I can tell he stored it in his parents pole barn and bought a car cover; that's it. couple of scratches/chips were picked up that I don't remember for for 12 years of free storage (I bought it back for less than inflation cost of what I sold it for, and it came with an extra transmission/longblock)....can't complain.

Plan is to most likely build a 3.+ liter stroker with forged bits and go after some 6g72 records. New standalone system (TBA), etc etc...race car shit.

Going with a JDM GTO AWD Auto trans (DSM awd trans/t-case) as those seem to be easier to make go really fast as the dsm guys really have those transmissions sorted. Plus this is now becoming a drag car so I don't need to row gears (I have the corvette for that, plus a TR6060 shifts WAYY better than any cable transmission imho). Having a converter to keep the turbo lit will be really nice for going straight fast. I'll start with the little 76 to get the cobwebs off.

End game is to exceed 8.5 ET's in the 1/4 mile. Once that's done I am really interested in some 1/8 mile no prep stuff near me, so once it starts to ET well I'll most likely be "underground" racing this thing in no time situations. AWD auto + radials = party time. Who knows; maybe I'll try to campaign it for a rocky mountain race week/drag week thing if it proves to be reliable (HAHA, probably not).

This will be my "fuck it, send it" rocket.
Old 06-10-2021   #9
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Boxed up and shipped out all my manual transmission parts here.

Have the clutch/flywheel from the old 700whp setup for sale on 3si.

Auto transmission + tcase here next to the 4 bolt motor on a stand.

Waiting on 6 speed diff to arrive; then I'll yank my 5 speed out and most likely sell that.

I may get it running from a swap perspective on a mild transmission build + motor and the 76mm turbo just to iron out bugs. Run it at 500ish at the track and just do shakedowns to sort out 12+ year old bugs before really turning it up. That way it isn't a forever build project.
Old 01-27-2022   #10
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Man this forum is really kinda dead .

Sniffle.

Update:
Sold all the 6g72 stuff and the car actually turned me a profit. Now I'm acquiring 4g63 stuff.

Yes it's going drag 4 cylinder 4g baby.

Follow along on YouTube (please? thank you? How do you get followers?)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCK...7zewunBHNQ-cjA
Old 06-16-2022   #11
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Update:
AEM EMS here
partially filled o-ringed and arp'd 4g63 shortblock here
OEM crank here
Ported head with 1mm over valves here
Vband manifold here
SMIM here
2g auto awd transmission, tcases, etc.

Still need to order for shortblock:
Pistons, rods, bearings. Have assembly balanced. Assemble engine.
Longblock:
cams, gears, head studs, gasket
Drivetrain:
Center driveshaft modification/creation (aluminum)
Swap around some axle bits to get the fronts to work.
Swap out my 5 speed diff for a 6 speed diff (here)
Fuel:
Drop tank, clean, install hellcat pumps
New lines (need to buy and install)
Injectors (need to buy)
Chassis:
Finish wiring delete. Install AEM and 4g63 harness
Misc:
Exhaust piping, intercooler piping.

It's coming along but been busy bass fishing and working on the ranch. It'll be ready for single digit 1/4 mile passes when it's ready is my motto.
Old 07-21-2022   #12
URV8SUX

Wow this is a cool build I’m looking forward to seeing it at the track. Keep up the progress!!!!!

Your goals seem very achievable have your considered other ECU than AEM?
URV8SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022   #13
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by URV8SUX View Post
Wow this is a cool build I’m looking forward to seeing it at the track. Keep up the progress!!!!!

Your goals seem very achievable have your considered other ECU than AEM?
Oh yeah. I just got this for cheap to get the ball rolling. Not an end all solution by any means.

Project update:

Longblock parts are here or on the way.
Rotating:
Weisco 1400HD pistons
FFWD Aluminum Rods
Stock uncut 6 bolt crank
ACL Bearings
Straight cut oil pump gears, "race" rear balance shaft

Block:
1/2 filled
O ringed
Kiggly Main girdle
ARP's
Head:
Kelford 280/276 cams
Kelford springs/retainers (1030's to start)
1mm over intake/exhaust valves
SMIM with dsm throttle body

Trans:
2g Auto
3 speed conversion
Kiggly 5 friction clutch pack to start
Welded center diff
Translab shift kit with IPT mods
Kiggly Billet diff support saddle
Line pressure to the moon
Trying to find a place to shot peen transfer gears until billet ones are available to buy
T-case is getting a frontline fab brace to start. I may send out my spare to boostin for the 300m upgrade. I'll think about that stuff Q4 2022/Q1 2023 when I have a motor and trans in the car. Lots to get before that.

I have a JM Fab TiAL v band manifold here. Thinking I'll go with a Borg Warner S372 with a .85 housing or so to start the party. Keep it simple 4" exhaust side exit. Still air to water.

Twin Hell cat pumps. -10 an feed to rail. 2150's most likely for injectors to start. Will most likely convert it to COP with R35 coils.

Things still to order:
Turbo setup
Radiators/coolers
Piping
Alternator relocation kit
DSS Center shaft
Suspension

Then to do a bunch of wiring and plumbing. The rest of this month will be getting the rotating assembly balanced and the block at the machine shop to validate the line hone is still good with the girdle. Will have the crank checked of course as well.

Get a longblock together and trans put together before Thanksgiving. Hope to have that in the engine bay to really start to make some progress. Will eventually need to weigh the car so I can figure out torque converter stuff.
Old 09-14-2022   #14
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Whats the axle and driveshaft solution for fitting 4g63 stuff in one of these?
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022   #15
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Whats the axle and driveshaft solution for fitting 4g63 stuff in one of these?
A few different options. Bolt on mounts exist. Depending if you are going automatic or manual you use one of the two rear ends available in the vr4 version.
Axles work with mitsubishi components. Generally a FWD pass axle and some cup swapping to make the driver side work (assuming you are starting with a TT chassis, another route is to go with a Non turbo chassis and its a bit easier as hubs clear, but then you're fwd).
AWD - move the yoke to match the dsm driveshaft. Or talk to DSS and have a shaft made to replace the front 2.

Of course I haven't finished all this, just research. Will post my results here as the drivetrain goes in. Confident it'll work out.
Old 09-24-2022   #16
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Update:
Selling the AEM. Have a FuelTech 550 here
Old 10-17-2022   #17
Mark Leasure

Good call to ditch aem, Fuel techs are good equipment.

Assuming you are making a new harness too?
Fastest: 92 Talon AWD – 8.14 @ 171 MPH
www.maperformance.com
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022   #18
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leasure View Post
Good call to ditch aem, Fuel techs are good equipment.

Assuming you are making a new harness too?
Yes sir. Completely new harness. Finally just finished removing all the miles of factory wiring. I'm keeping lights and power windows for the pit lanes. Everything else deleted. OEM harness to the rear, new to the front and the window motors.
Old 02-14-2023   #19
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

This is awesome, I remember seeing this thing on the LSE dyno.

So cool you got it back! Keep up the good work
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote