MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-29-2007   #1
driftn1g
Banned

Send a message via AIM to driftn1g Send a message via MSN to driftn1g
Whats the difference? Blow off valves

whats the difference between something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...11982908QQrdZ1

or an HKS one for 250$$+
driftn1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: Whats the difference? Blow off valves

Get a Greddy for an in between price or just keep your 1g, it is fine. You shouldn't vent it to atmosphere anyway, so you won't get the sound, if that is what you are looking for.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #3
driftn1g
Banned

i want the sound..

bovs look like there an easy install right?

what do i got to make sure i do when going about an install like this?
Old 04-29-2007   #4
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

What is your reason for upgrading to a different BOV? What kinda car and what's all done to it?
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #5
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

The knockoff eBay ones often leak at even low boost levels.
Old 04-29-2007   #6
driftn1g
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
What is your reason for upgrading to a different BOV? What kinda car and what's all done to it?

Well why not?? i got a 1990 talon TSI.. stock

Last edited by driftn1g; 04-29-2007 at 09:59 PM..
Old 04-29-2007   #7
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer

The stock 1g blow off valve is fantastic, and the odds of a blow off valve under 75 dollars being better is pretty much zero. They even sound alright if you vent to the atmosphere.

The reason you shouldn't vent to the atmosphere is because the car will die after you go into boost and blow off. It gets too rich because air that has already been metered (measured) gets expelled to the atmosphere. It happens on *most* DSM's that try to do it.

The AFC Neo has something built in that is supposed to remedy this issue, but I have yet to hear anything good or bad about it.
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #8
sleepy2lazy

That Greddy Knockoff Ebay BOV is skeptical.

IMO, you really don't need to change your BOV yet. The first gen dsm' blow off valve does the trick for its purpose already.

The reason why you shouldn't change your BOV is because you can save yourself 1-250 bucks, which is the typical price for a REAL BOV. Unlike the 95-99 dsms, yours come with a real bov, unlike ours which is a plastic pos.

I think that you just wanna change your BOV to get the sound similar to the Greddy Type-S. Pssssss.

With all due respect, I would rather save the money and get me a nice K&N Filter or exhaust system. The Air Filter would make your increase the sound of your BOV, and give you some performance. The Exhaust system will make your car louder, and is another first step towards performance.

But all said n done, If your really into it, find a greddy or just keep the original 1g. They are easy to install. Just do it properly so no boost leaks.
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #9
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftn1g View Post
Well why not?? i got a 1990 talon TSI.. stock
Why do people get all edgy and defensive when you try to just get a little info about the setup so you can actually give good advice?

But you ask why, well because you have a stock 1G, and have absolutely zero need for a new BOV, that's why. Like mentioned above, that thing may actually be a downgrade from your stock one. The ebay replica BOV's seem to be a hit or miss type thing. Some work fine, some leak right out of the box.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #10
tim

You should spend that money on the exhaust that is sitting in my shed, if your car is an AWD, rather than a POS BOV that will hurt your performance.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #11
kennydawgg

Quote:
Why do people get all edgy and defensive when you try to just get a little info about the setup so you can actually give good advice?
kudos for wanting to give good advice but what he wanted to know was the difference between the knock offs and the real hks version. generally speaking knock offs have zero quality control so they leak and do not perform up to spec where as knock offs may have same design/look/sound they will not perform they way the expensive ones will. Im sure someday he will ask what the best way to spend his money will be, but that was not the question asked.

until then I would say go with the greddy I think its about $129 or so, my roommate has one on his 90 tsi vented into the atmosphere and its obnoxiously loud. I think if it was vented into the intake you would still get a good sound but it wouldn't be as loud, I'm not positive about that but a turbo xs one on the wrx is still noticeable when recirculated.
kennydawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #12
sleepy2lazy

Generally,
Greddy's are about $175 bucks for the Type RS and the Type R is about $200 bucks.
HKS SSQV is about $225-250 and you'll need the recirculation kit for about $30-50 bucks.
50 mm Tial BOV is about $200.

They no longer make the popular Greddy Type-S.
~~~~~~~~
And i think the sound that you want, is the Greddy Type-S. The Psssssss

Last edited by sleepy2lazy; 04-30-2007 at 02:17 PM..
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #13
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Quote:

But you ask why, well because you have a stock 1G, and have absolutely zero need for a new BOV, that's why. Like mentioned above, that thing may actually be a downgrade from your stock one. The ebay replica BOV's seem to be a hit or miss type thing. Some work fine, some leak right out of the box.
I didn't pick up on defensiveness... was that because of the two question marks? Seems to me he just wants the sound, doesn't care too much if it is better or worse than stock. So, the solution that seems to have been overlooked is the electeic blow off valve sound maker!
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #14
driftn1g
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
I didn't pick up on defensiveness... was that because of the two question marks? Seems to me he just wants the sound, doesn't care too much if it is better or worse than stock. So, the solution that seems to have been overlooked is the electeic blow off valve sound maker!

LOL

basically i just wanted to know why they would be so cheap.. im not sure if i want one anyways.. obviously intake, ignition, exhaust will be before any supporting mods of the turbo..

so far of having this car for 2 days, ignition has been so far covered (nothing serious). next is K&N cold air intake (thinking thursday), then a custom magnaflow setup(soon)..
Old 04-30-2007   #15
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftn1g View Post
LOL

basically i just wanted to know why they would be so cheap.. im not sure if i want one anyways.. obviously intake, ignition, exhaust will be before any supporting mods of the turbo..

so far of having this car for 2 days, ignition has been so far covered (nothing serious). next is K&N cold air intake (thinking thursday), then a custom magnaflow setup(soon)..
You should get your oil changed first. Next do the free mods on Vfaq. Skip the cold air intake go straight to more reading on this car before you end up blowing something up. This is my honest opinion. There is no such thing as going cheap on these cars. If you did you will regret it later. If you want looks get a boost gauge and pillar pod. That will give you more stares than a whore on crack.
x-pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #16
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

agreed.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #17
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

I wouldnt go with anything mechanical off of ebay, Something like BOVs and Turbos would be stupid to get off of ebay. (Especially if the turbo is an electric turbo).
If you really want a ebay bov, i have a Knockoff Tial Blowoff valve that ill give you for 50 bucks.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #18
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian

I'll give you an ebay hks box with all the flanges for $40
Old 04-30-2007   #19
driftn1g
Banned

I never said i wanted anything off ebay! i just wanted to know the differences.. now i see why
Old 04-30-2007   #20
92EvilTalon
3.1L v6 power...

Pit Stop Challenge Champion!
Send a message via AIM to 92EvilTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride View Post
You should get your oil changed first. Next do the free mods on Vfaq. Skip the cold air intake go straight to more reading on this car before you end up blowing something up. This is my honest opinion. There is no such thing as going cheap on these cars. If you did you will regret it later. If you want looks get a boost gauge and pillar pod. That will give you more stares than a whore on crack.
That right there is the best way to do it. Like I said in your welcome thread. Please make sure things are up to snuff. If you get a K&N filter and cut that airbox. Make a custom heatsheild for it. You be set. No need to do a Cold Air intake on the cars. I never seen one for a 1g...besides the Bushnuts one for the AEM setup.

At LSE Performance: 92 Talon TSi AWD
Driving a: 93 Ford Festiva L 5spd
92EvilTalon is offline   Reply With Quote