MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Whats the difference? Blow off valves (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15293)

driftn1g 04-29-2007 09:41 PM

Whats the difference? Blow off valves

whats the difference between something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...11982908QQrdZ1

or an HKS one for 250$$+

JET 04-29-2007 09:43 PM

Re: Whats the difference? Blow off valves

Get a Greddy for an in between price or just keep your 1g, it is fine. You shouldn't vent it to atmosphere anyway, so you won't get the sound, if that is what you are looking for.

driftn1g 04-29-2007 09:47 PM

i want the sound..

bovs look like there an easy install right?

what do i got to make sure i do when going about an install like this?

Halon 04-29-2007 09:52 PM

What is your reason for upgrading to a different BOV? What kinda car and what's all done to it?

Shane@DBPerformance 04-29-2007 09:55 PM

The knockoff eBay ones often leak at even low boost levels.

driftn1g 04-29-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 188690)
What is your reason for upgrading to a different BOV? What kinda car and what's all done to it?

Well why not?? i got a 1990 talon TSI.. stock

dumb_ricer 04-29-2007 10:00 PM

The stock 1g blow off valve is fantastic, and the odds of a blow off valve under 75 dollars being better is pretty much zero. They even sound alright if you vent to the atmosphere.

The reason you shouldn't vent to the atmosphere is because the car will die after you go into boost and blow off. It gets too rich because air that has already been metered (measured) gets expelled to the atmosphere. It happens on *most* DSM's that try to do it.

The AFC Neo has something built in that is supposed to remedy this issue, but I have yet to hear anything good or bad about it.

sleepy2lazy 04-29-2007 10:18 PM

That Greddy Knockoff Ebay BOV is skeptical.

IMO, you really don't need to change your BOV yet. The first gen dsm' blow off valve does the trick for its purpose already.

The reason why you shouldn't change your BOV is because you can save yourself 1-250 bucks, which is the typical price for a REAL BOV. Unlike the 95-99 dsms, yours come with a real bov, unlike ours which is a plastic pos.

I think that you just wanna change your BOV to get the sound similar to the Greddy Type-S. Pssssss.

With all due respect, I would rather save the money and get me a nice K&N Filter or exhaust system. The Air Filter would make your increase the sound of your BOV, and give you some performance. The Exhaust system will make your car louder, and is another first step towards performance.

But all said n done, If your really into it, find a greddy or just keep the original 1g. They are easy to install. Just do it properly so no boost leaks.

Halon 04-29-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftn1g (Post 188693)
Well why not?? i got a 1990 talon TSI.. stock

Why do people get all edgy and defensive when you try to just get a little info about the setup so you can actually give good advice?

But you ask why, well because you have a stock 1G, and have absolutely zero need for a new BOV, that's why. Like mentioned above, that thing may actually be a downgrade from your stock one. The ebay replica BOV's seem to be a hit or miss type thing. Some work fine, some leak right out of the box.

tim 04-29-2007 11:19 PM

You should spend that money on the exhaust that is sitting in my shed, if your car is an AWD, rather than a POS BOV that will hurt your performance.

kennydawgg 04-30-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 188704)
Why do people get all edgy and defensive when you try to just get a little info about the setup so you can actually give good advice?

kudos for wanting to give good advice but what he wanted to know was the difference between the knock offs and the real hks version. generally speaking knock offs have zero quality control so they leak and do not perform up to spec where as knock offs may have same design/look/sound they will not perform they way the expensive ones will. Im sure someday he will ask what the best way to spend his money will be, but that was not the question asked.

until then I would say go with the greddy I think its about $129 or so, my roommate has one on his 90 tsi vented into the atmosphere and its obnoxiously loud. I think if it was vented into the intake you would still get a good sound but it wouldn't be as loud, I'm not positive about that but a turbo xs one on the wrx is still noticeable when recirculated.

sleepy2lazy 04-30-2007 01:27 PM

Generally,
Greddy's are about $175 bucks for the Type RS and the Type R is about $200 bucks.
HKS SSQV is about $225-250 and you'll need the recirculation kit for about $30-50 bucks.
50 mm Tial BOV is about $200.

They no longer make the popular Greddy Type-S.
~~~~~~~~
And i think the sound that you want, is the Greddy Type-S. The Psssssss

FattyBoomBatty 04-30-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 188704)

But you ask why, well because you have a stock 1G, and have absolutely zero need for a new BOV, that's why. Like mentioned above, that thing may actually be a downgrade from your stock one. The ebay replica BOV's seem to be a hit or miss type thing. Some work fine, some leak right out of the box.

I didn't pick up on defensiveness... was that because of the two question marks? Seems to me he just wants the sound, doesn't care too much if it is better or worse than stock. So, the solution that seems to have been overlooked is the electeic blow off valve sound maker!

driftn1g 04-30-2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty (Post 188807)
I didn't pick up on defensiveness... was that because of the two question marks? Seems to me he just wants the sound, doesn't care too much if it is better or worse than stock. So, the solution that seems to have been overlooked is the electeic blow off valve sound maker!

LOL

basically i just wanted to know why they would be so cheap.. im not sure if i want one anyways.. obviously intake, ignition, exhaust will be before any supporting mods of the turbo..

so far of having this car for 2 days, ignition has been so far covered (nothing serious). next is K&N cold air intake (thinking thursday), then a custom magnaflow setup(soon)..

x-pride 04-30-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftn1g (Post 188828)
LOL

basically i just wanted to know why they would be so cheap.. im not sure if i want one anyways.. obviously intake, ignition, exhaust will be before any supporting mods of the turbo..

so far of having this car for 2 days, ignition has been so far covered (nothing serious). next is K&N cold air intake (thinking thursday), then a custom magnaflow setup(soon)..

You should get your oil changed first. Next do the free mods on Vfaq. Skip the cold air intake go straight to more reading on this car before you end up blowing something up. This is my honest opinion. There is no such thing as going cheap on these cars. If you did you will regret it later. If you want looks get a boost gauge and pillar pod. That will give you more stares than a whore on crack.

FattyBoomBatty 04-30-2007 05:47 PM

agreed.

tpunx99GSX 04-30-2007 05:53 PM

I wouldnt go with anything mechanical off of ebay, Something like BOVs and Turbos would be stupid to get off of ebay. (Especially if the turbo is an electric turbo).
If you really want a ebay bov, i have a Knockoff Tial Blowoff valve that ill give you for 50 bucks.

HiImBrian 04-30-2007 06:29 PM

I'll give you an ebay hks box with all the flanges for $40

driftn1g 04-30-2007 08:22 PM

I never said i wanted anything off ebay! i just wanted to know the differences.. now i see why

92EvilTalon 04-30-2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-pride (Post 188836)
You should get your oil changed first. Next do the free mods on Vfaq. Skip the cold air intake go straight to more reading on this car before you end up blowing something up. This is my honest opinion. There is no such thing as going cheap on these cars. If you did you will regret it later. If you want looks get a boost gauge and pillar pod. That will give you more stares than a whore on crack.

That right there is the best way to do it. Like I said in your welcome thread. Please make sure things are up to snuff. If you get a K&N filter and cut that airbox. Make a custom heatsheild for it. You be set. No need to do a Cold Air intake on the cars. I never seen one for a 1g...besides the Bushnuts one for the AEM setup.