MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-22-2009   #1
Spikesoftail

Drives: 96 Talon Tsi AWD Auto
3" Exhaust

I've got a 96 Talon Tsi AWD Auto, I've got a nice cat back 3" system on it, 1g BOV, but pretty much stock. Would it be worth the couple hundred bucks to do my down pipe and cat in 3"? Or would it be a waste for a mostly stock car?
Spikesoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: 3" Exhaust

A 2.5" (or 3", but that would be more expensive and louder for no reason) downpipe and testpipe would be great. That would give you more performance gains than just the catback did.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #3
scheides
flips McGee

Do it. I got plenty out of my apex downpipe on my 2G, I think it was 2.5" then opened up a ways back to 3". Testpipe or resonated testpipe ftw, you'll be pick up some good gains with it.

What other mods do you have? Boost gauge and MBC would round you off with a nice, responsive setup It's all downhill once you do that stuff though...the mod bug will have you!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009   #4
deadeye

Drives: 95 TSi AWD POS

I was pretty happy with the gains I got with my old 96 talon. Basically the same setup as you got and it did pick up noticeably.

The apexi one probably fits the best and is gonna bolt up to the stock housing the nicest. That being said, I ran a megan (cheap as hell, but its been pretty durable). It did't fit quite as nice, the bracket hangin off the block had to be removed (bout 5 minutes of work) but once it was on there it was nice. It has a huge flange and I had to adjust it so it wouldnt leak but it's 3 in all the way back.

Like the others said the mod bug is easy to catch, before you know it there will be a scm61 hangin there and a laptop on the passenger's seat tuning the car . And your gonna wonder what happened to all your money.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009   #5
Spikesoftail

Well heres the update. Thanks for everyone who repllied I got the 3" done from the manifold back. New flex, high flow 3" cat (yeah I know... being a shop owner I like to keep my stuff legal) all mandrel bent and tied it into my already 3" cat back'd system. Thanks to Tim, at Tim's Custom Exhaust, in Coon Rapids.<----Shameles plug I have to say this has opened up my car unbelievably. The turbo spools so much quicker, and theres definatly a power increase due to that. The butt dyno definatly feels a power increase. Next will be a turbo upgrade and a cold air kit. I've got the turbo taken care of anyone got a cold air kit for sale?
Old 10-24-2009   #6
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Just put a filter right on the turbo and get a maf-translator
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009   #7
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

No way, too much hot air right behind the radiator.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009   #8
Spikesoftail

Agreed, filter right off the turbo a very bad idea
Old 10-24-2009   #9
deadeye

Drives: 95 TSi AWD POS

Get one of those cheap mass airflow adapters and a cone filter from oreilly's or pep boys. I bet you would be out the door for under 30 bucks. It works great for the money. You really dont have to have a super smooth path to the turbo since the air is pretty much just getting chopped up in there anyway.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote