MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 05-22-2006   #1
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm
Stock ECU questions

Concerning 91-94 awd 5 spd:
Can someone explain to me why exactly a stock ECU sucks once you get to the point of upgraded turbo and supporting mods? If I remember right it has something to do timing or airflow?

What kind of benefit would a burnt chip add?

This is kind of vague, I know.

For example, my car has:
20g, 650cc, maft, apex 5 knobber, etc.
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #2
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Re: Stock ECU questions

From what I understand (which could easily be wrong): the algorithms the stock ECU uses to "run" your engine based off of the OEM timing and fuel maps can not compensate for the increase in air and fuel you are seeing due to the modifications. By having a custom chip burnt, the timing and fuel maps are adjusted to compensate for the increase in air and fuel which allows the ECU's algorithms to properly "run" your engine (within reason).

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #3
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

I think it has to do with being able to be in the right timing maps. The car will idle like stock without having to be so negative on the safc and will be easier to tune. I think you can be running in the wrong timing map if you have big injectors where you are way negative. What do you have your safc for idle? I would personally ditch the 5 know and get the blue faced model one above it.

I have a socketed eprom and just had a chip burned for it to idle my 780s as stock. I would probably need to be around -45 or so on the safc and it is a lot harder to tune like that.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #4
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

having a socketed eprom also is helpful because you can have a studder box programed in, it setup to compensate for 2g mas, no fuel cut and many other things. If you look at the dsmchips site, there is a big list of what can be done.

7/25/09
Old 05-23-2006   #5
sleepydsm
Kevin

Yeah, I have a MAFT so the injectors are compensated. Then the AFC is used to adjust off of that. I know I'm running super rich, because I shoot flames when I shift at WOT and my exhaust tip is all black. So I have no negatives on the AFC, everything is positive. I figured, since the injectors are compensated, I should start at zero on the afc and then I added fuel as needed.
Old 05-23-2006   #6
tim

I dont have much technical to add to this but talk to "Steve" on toonerz and you will get all the help you need. He is very helpfull.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #7
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
"Steve"
http://simon.chi.il.us/ECU/Index.html

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #8
sleepydsm
Kevin

thanks guys.
Old 05-23-2006   #9
sleepydsm
Kevin

So do you guys think a 5knob AFC is really holding me back?
Old 05-24-2006   #10
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

I think is is much easier to tune with the electronic one as you can set high throtle and low throttle settings as opposed to just one setting.

7/25/09
Old 05-24-2006   #11
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm
Concerning 91-94 awd 5 spd:
Can someone explain to me why exactly a stock ECU sucks once you get to the point of upgraded turbo and supporting mods? If I remember right it has something to do timing or airflow?
The problem has to do with a few things. The stock 1G ECU is programmed to support 450cc fuel injectors. One problem is that the stock ECU runs on the extra rich side stock from the factory for safety and then when it sees additional airflow it over compensates even more in the fuel department. Second, the timing maps in the 1G and 2G max out at an airflow level that isn't all that high. Sometimes that is a good thing for tuning(on a higher HP race gas car), sometimes it's a problem and sometimes it makes no difference. Third, people often run bigger injectors than they need. Or the injector they need for high boost and race gas is too much for pump gas. The fourth and biggest problem is that tuning devices like an SAFC, MAFT, E-Manage, work strictly off of fooling the ECU by modifying the airflow signal.

Here is a typical 1G stock ECU timing map:

The X-axis is RPM. 5.5 = 5500 RPMs.
The Y-axis is airflow. The numbers in this chart on the Y-axis don't mean anything.

A car making somewhere in the 280-320HP range will hit the "high" row of the timing map with an unaltered airflow signal. So it will try to run 22 degrees of timing advance at 5500 RPMs. This is often fine for a stock 7.8:1 compression 1G motor at 15-18psi.

The high row is for 2.06 grams/rev of airflow. When your airflow exceeds that, it just keeps running the same timing found in that highest row. So, if you are making a lot of power and using 3.00 gm/rev of air, it would still try to run 22 degrees of timing at 5500 RPMs with an unaltered airflow signal. On pump gas, this might be too much timing for the boost required to get that kind of airflow. On race gas, it might be perfectly fine. So, going off the top of the map can be a problem is some circumstances, but it isn't the main problem.

On the Evo, the stock fuel and timing maps support a fair amount more airflow than the 1G/2G ECUs, but they run a lot more boost stock than a 1G/2G. You will see timing in the negatives in the higher airflow parts of the stock Evo timing map. The Evo motor in general requires very little timing though compared to the older 4G63s.

The real problem shows itself when you run bigger injectors, on pump gas. So you have a bigger turbo, you turn up the boost, and bigger injectors. Let say you have 660cc injectors. They will flow around 32% more fuel than the stock 450cc injectors. So you go into your piggyback style fuel controller and remove 32%. Under boost with your bigger turbo, the ECU sees extra airflow overcompensates by adding too much fuel and say you need to take out another 13% fuel to get it to a reasonable A/F ratio.

So now you are taking 45% out using your SAFC or whatever at full boost. Say for example, you are flowing exactly 2.06 gm/rev and your timing values should have been pulled from the top high airflow timing row, but since your SAFC, MAFT, E-Manage, etc is interupting the airflow signal from the MAS and reporting 45% less airflow signal to the ECU, the ECU sees 1.13 gm/rev and pulls from row 7.

So now instead of it running 22 degrees of timing at 5500 RPMs, it is trying to run 28 degrees. Even worse, at 6500 RPMs, it is trying to run 33 degrees instead of 20 degrees. The engine ends up knocking like crazy and the car becomes untuneable. You can do things like retard the base timing using the CAS on the 1Gs, but you end up losing power everywhere else besides at full boost and you can only retard the base timing so far before the car won't even idle.

The excessive timing problem is much worse on a stock 1G ECU car that is running higher than stock compression. In the 1G timing map, you see 20-24 degrees in the highest airflow sections of the map. In the stock 2G timing maps, the highest timing value in the high airflow row is only 16 degrees. So, when you stick 8.5:1 to 9.0:1 compression pistons in a 1G and the ECU is trying to run all kinds of timing for a 7.8:1 compression motor, you end up with even more knock.

On race gas when you run high boost, the timing problem isn't as severe. If your airflow is way up, say 3 gm/rev and you remove 45%, then you still end up close to the highest airflow row in the timing map. Also, race gas can safely handle more timing than pump gas.

When you get a basic EPROM chip for your injector size, you can get rid of a lot of the correction that needs to be done in the piggyback. And that way you aren't getting too far out of wack in the timing maps. You can also have the commanded A/F ratios leaned out a bit in the chip and/or have exteneded timing/fuel maps put in to make it handle higher boost better.

With a custom tuned EPROM chip or DSMLink, there is no fooling of the ECU going on. The ECU sees the full amount of airflow and you tell it how much fuel to add and what timing to run. I run a custom chip in my girlfriend's 1G, she has 2G 8.5:1 compression pistons in the motor, very hacked 1G MAS, some of my old 720cc injectors, HKS 272s, and a very old inefficient Mutt turbo. All of the tuning is done in the chip. We only run 12 degrees of timing under full boost on pump gas or else it detonates.

sleepydsm: Your MAFT unit should be capable of finer tuning than the old 5 knob AFC, with the options it has besides the base injector size change. You still might have to go leaner with the MAFT or AFC because of how rich the stock ECU likes to run under boost. The way the MAFT compensates for injectors isn't like having an EPROM ECU with a chip in it to compensate, you might run into "too much timing" problems because both the MAFT anf AFC are just tricking the ECU by lowering the airflow signal it recieves.
Old 05-24-2006   #12
sleepydsm
Kevin

Wow, that was incredibly informative. Thanks Shane!