Old 01-07-2009   #1
scheides
flips McGee

Pics of sleeved 4b11t block

AMS and ERI teamed up to do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
From Tim our engine builder:

Over the last few months I have been looking at internal engine upgrades for the 4B11 evo X motor. We knew to push the limits and be reliable with these new aluminum blocks we’d have to look into sleeving. I contacted our friends at ERl, who are pioneers in the sleeving industry. From upgrading Honda blocks to tricked out tall deck LS1’s I knew these were the guys I wanted to work with. Starting from a brand new OEM block we started machining away the OEM cylinder liners. During the machining process measurements were taken to verify we weren’t disrupting the structure of the block. After removing all of the necessary material and machining a step at the top of the bore a final inspection is done to ensure no block distortion. This is where ERL can work their magic. ERL then installed proprietary ductile iron sleeves which are pressed in and sit in the machined step so they will not sink during engine operation. Once in place the new sleeves are machined flush or in our case a few thousands above the rest of the deck surface. This is similar to an o-ring and will help increase the clamping force on the head gasket. Each block then receives final bore sizing and cross hatching. Next we install AMS spec main studs and align hone the main journals. This is done to 100% verify that there was no movement in the block during any of the other machining processes. Now I’m ready for the internals!! Here are some pics of the build so far.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-e...roof-4b11.html

400whp (Mustang) has been done on the stock block already, so I'm not sure at what point doing this will be necessary.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #2
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529
Re: Pics of sleeved 4b11t block

I saw this a little bit ago on evom ...looks so nice! Wonder what they are planning for this engine!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #3
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

I like the 4 bolt mains.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #4
scheides
flips McGee

Ya pretty sweet! Kinda cool that the sleeves are left a few thousanths above the deck of the rest of the head, so they act like o-rings.
Old 01-08-2009   #5
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

They should have machined and drilled for dual oil squirters per cylinder. The bungs appear to already be there.
Old 01-08-2009   #6
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
They should have machined and drilled for dual oil squirters per cylinder. The bungs appear to already be there.
Why? Keep it simple. There probably isnt an oil galley behind those bumps either.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #7
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

simple isn't cool.
Old 01-09-2009   #8
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

AMS is selling these blocks now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports View Post

AMS EVO X Sleeved Cylinder block

AMS is proud to announce the release of our new engine program for the EVO X. At the core of this program is our new iron ductile sleeved 4B11 shortblock. In conjunction with ERL PERFORMANCE we are now able to provide a much stronger building block for those looking to run some serious power through the 4B11.

Each AMS block starts with a stock 4B11 core. First the block is machined down until the OEM cylinder liners are no more. During this process precise measurements are taken to ensure that there is no structural disruption of the cylinder block. After removing all of the necessary material and machining a step at the top of the bore a final inspection is done to ensure no block distortion. From here ERL then installs proprietary ductile iron sleeves. The sleeves are pressed into the block to sit on top of the machined step. This ensures they will not sink during engine operation. Once in place the new sleeves are machined a few thousands above the rest of the deck surface. This acts much in the way an O-ring does on a closed deck block and allows for a tighter sealing surface between the block, head gasket and head. From here each block is cross hatched and gets its customer chosen final bore size. One of the last steps involves installing a set of AMS spec main studs and align honing the main journals to allow for perfect fitment. Align honing is crucial as it ensures everything lines up correctly even after the machining process.

As you can see it’s a pretty involved process but when it’s all said and done you have yourself a pretty stout shortblock capable of taking a great deal of HP.

The cost for this service is $1895.00 and it gets you everything you see above.
If you do not wish to send in a core to have machined then there will be an additional $1534.00 for a new OEM 4B11 block. You are also given the option of choosing any bore size between 86mm and 88mm based on your needs.

We will be offering built short blocks in the future but for those Do-It-Yourself guys out there we thought it would be a beneficial to offer the possibility of choosing your own internals.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. Our engine builder Tim will be monitoring this thread to field any questions on this particular part. Thank you and enjoy the pictures!

Eric

http://forums.evolutionm.net/automot...ved-block.html
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #9
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

I wonder if a bunch of typical evoM tards are going to jump on these engines and make a screaming 400hp.

I bet the stock block can do 600hp at least.
04 E55 AMG
Old 01-09-2009   #10
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
I wonder if a bunch of typical evoM tards are going to jump on these engines and make a screaming 400hp.

People are making 400whp on pump gas on the stock block on stock appearing turbos already, so we'll see
Old 01-09-2009   #11
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post

X guys don't seem to be as retarded as the typical EvoM VIII/IX owners. They remind me more of the timid S2k owners where doing a few bolt-ons and a tune is huge deal.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #12
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
X guys don't seem to be as retarded as the typical EvoM VIII/IX owners. They remind me more of the timid S2k owners where doing a few bolt-ons and a tune is huge deal.
Sounds like the infancy of most new platforms.. Turbo S2k's are much more common now.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #13
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion

Are those steel mains on a aluminum block? WTF?
Old 01-14-2009   #14
scheides
flips McGee

More....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports View Post
The below is from our shop manager and engine builder Tim Salefski on some exciting new developments in AMS 4b11 Engine program:

Using the recently released sleeved block I have gathered the parts needed to continue the build. I am straying away from the standard 2.0 4B11 specs and decided to do some experimenting with some undisclosed strokes and bores. Here are some pics highlighting the second part of the build. ENJOY

Here we are setting the piston ring end gap

This is the cleaned block awaiting the crank. Note the AMS main studs.

The crank sensor reluctor wheel is installed on the crank and the bolts are loctited and staked so they don't come loose. Now we can do final cleaning on the crank. The crank is measured as well as the id of the main journals with the bearings installed in order to verify proper oil clearance. Then the mains are plastigauged to verify previously measured clearances.

Once the crank is torqued down the end play is measured to verify the proper thrust.

Here is our custom designed aluminum rod manufactured by BME. Aluminum rods were made to speed up the entire testing process. They are much faster to make compared to steel rods which typically take 2-3 times as long for a one off set. The piston is also a custom designed Ross piston. It utilizes AMS spec pins, ring packs, and special machining processes on the bottom side to help reduce weight.

The first piston is in!! Everything looks good it looks like I did pretty well with the math. I wont know yet but it looks like the piston is sitting right where I wanted it to compared to the deck surface. I will use a dial indicator to measure this height a little later.

Here the second piston is being installed.

All of the pistons are in and clearances have been verified.

This is the second half of the block. It is being installed and checked to make sure the crank or rods do not make contact with it. Everything look good!!

Here are a few shots of the block with the pistons installed and some of the accessories installed. Notice the lack of timing belt. The 4b11 utilizes a timing chain! Notice the well engineered oil squirter that helps lubricate the chain.

To build the ultimate motor we decided to go ahead with development of bigger head studs. We are going to see how this works compared to o-ringing like we've done in the past to prevent blown head gaskets. We were able to utilize 13mm ARP studs. Here they are installed in the head.

Note the size difference between the OEM studs and the 13mm studs!!

Please stay tuned I will be addressing the top end of the motor in the near future.
Old 01-15-2009   #15
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Looks pretty nice!
Old 01-15-2009   #16
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

That looks like a serious engine.
Old 01-15-2009   #17
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

I just don't like how the sleeves aren't supported on the one side. Otherwise, nice build.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #18
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
I just don't like how the sleeves aren't supported on the one side. Otherwise, nice build.
good eye, i didnt even notice that. Wonder why they designed it like that.
04 E55 AMG
Old 01-15-2009   #19
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Maybe they are all supported halfway down the sleeve where it matters.