MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-08-2006   #1
wile

1g bolc VS 2g block

I have a 95 Talon (turbo) I am building and have 2 blocks one is a 4g63 1G the other is a 4g63 2G out of my 95 the reason to ask is I have looked at all the bold holes etc they all look the same but looks can be deceiving so i figured i would throw it out there to see if anyone is sure.
wile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: 1g bolc VS 2g block

What are you asking? Are they different? Yes they are!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #3
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

you're asking if there are any differences between a 6bolt and a 7bolt? haahahaha i suggest you do some research bud.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

What year 1G block do you have?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #5
wile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!!
you're asking if there are any differences between a 6bolt and a 7bolt? haahahaha i suggest you do some research bud.

no i said the block NOT the crank I am asking about the BLOCK not the crank I am interested in only the block to make sure it will mount in my 95 with my 95 head other than that the rest works I just woas wondering if the block itself will work..
Old 08-08-2006   #6
wile

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kracka
What year 1G block do you have?
it is a 92 block
Old 08-08-2006   #7
wile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides
What are you asking? Are they different? Yes they are!
i am asking if the blocks themselves are different I know the cranks are but the rest looks the same. You can use the rotating assemble with some machine work. but i was mainly wondering if the head would bolt up. trans should. knock sensor is the same. but it is just little things that i am sure like water jacket that feeds turbo etc. oil pump stuff like that. any help would be great as i said the look the same
Old 08-08-2006   #8
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

I swear the only difference is the crank and also that the head studs for a 95 are 11mm and the 92 is 12mm.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #9
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

The 2g has the big girdle also. A 95 head will work on the 92 block, but you will need to get the headbolt holes drilled a little bigger as the 2g head won't fit over the 1g arps very well.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #10
wile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbubblecar
The 2g has the big girdle also. A 95 head will work on the 92 block, but you will need to get the headbolt holes drilled a little bigger as the 2g head won't fit over the 1g arps very well.
this is the kinda info i am looken for Thanks......
Old 08-08-2006   #11
wile

well after some tearen and comperen the 1g block is missing 1 bolt hole to moke this happen the bolt hole for the timing side is missing so the 2g mount will only have 3 bolds to hold it on as oppsed to 4 so i guess back to square 1 thanks for all the help with what to look for the rest would seem to work including the head bolts just a couple short on mounting
Old 08-08-2006   #12
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

Umm.... People put 1g blocks in 2g cars all the time. If you are wondering how you can do it, check www.vfaq.com

The blocks are different yes. They are known as 6 bolt and 7 bolt blocks. No one was talking about the crank. 6 bolt cranks go with 6 bolt blocks, 7 bolt cranks go with 7 bolt blocks. Enough said.
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #13
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wile
well after some tearen and comperen the 1g block is missing 1 bolt hole to moke this happen the bolt hole for the timing side is missing so the 2g mount will only have 3 bolds to hold it on as oppsed to 4 so i guess back to square 1 thanks for all the help with what to look for the rest would seem to work including the head bolts just a couple short on mounting
Dont let that deter you.

Spend some time on www.vfaq.com and http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ecltechtips.htm

You will learn a lot. Since you have the 6-bolt already you might as well use it.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #14
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

there are actually many subtle differences between the blocks. One of this differences is where the water tap for the turbo is, on the newer blocks its in the worst possible place (on the block right where the compressor cover would be) on the 6bolt blocks its not there.
The 2g head will fit on the 1g block, the 2g pistons fit in the block (current setup i have.)
Next time you ask a question (which you really never stated a question in your first post) please make it clear as to what you are getting at. (i.e What kind of answer are you looking for? What differences were you thinking they may have? etc)
And please learn how to type, or learn how to spell.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #15
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

The insides of the two blocks are also quite different. The 6 bolt is more stout, but the 7 bolt has the full girdle.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #16
wile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX
there are actually many subtle differences between the blocks. One of this differences is where the water tap for the turbo is, on the newer blocks its in the worst possible place (on the block right where the compressor cover would be) on the 6bolt blocks its not there.
The 2g head will fit on the 1g block, the 2g pistons fit in the block (current setup i have.)
Next time you ask a question (which you really never stated a question in your first post) please make it clear as to what you are getting at. (i.e What kind of answer are you looking for? What differences were you thinking they may have? etc)
And please learn how to type, or learn how to spell.
Well what is looking to find out was like the water jacket for the turbo and the engine mounts if they were the same after tearen the blocks down i found the one that mounts to the car on the driver side is different and does not look like it would mount up. The car is a 95 i would like to use the 92 block and rotating assembly with the 95 head, turbo, intake and trans. I know people make it work but I was unsure how you bolt it in if the mounts are different. I will check the other websites Tim sugested and see what i can come up with. Sorry for the dumb a$$ questions I was a Honda guy and have always built them THEY ARE BORING now and I want something new to me so that is why I got a talon.
Old 08-09-2006   #17
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

You need to mod the drivers side 2G motor mount, use a 1G tensioner arm and then get figure out what route you are going to take to aviod the dreaded random misfire error.
Old 08-09-2006   #18
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
You need to mod the drivers side 2G motor mount, use a 1G tensioner arm and then get figure out what route you are going to take to aviod the dreaded random misfire error.
SCRRRRRRR... wait a minute.... What Random misfire error? How do you correct this? I have been getting that off and on for the past couple months. I all of the sudden get this error and how i usually correct it is shut the car off with the ignition on and go into dsmlink and clear the code, it usually corrects it for about a week or so but then it comes back.
Do you know where this comes from?
Sorry for the O/T but i really would like to correct this.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #19
9guy9
Dumb and...........

Quote:
SCRRRRRRR... wait a minute.... What Random misfire error? How do you correct this? I have been getting that off and on for the past couple months. I all of the sudden get this error and how i usually correct it is shut the car off with the ignition on and go into dsmlink and clear the code, it usually corrects it for about a week or so but then it comes back.
In DSM link dissable the randon misfire code check.
Old 08-09-2006   #20
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

For emission reasons, often OBD2 cars(not just DSMs) use a crank sensor and cam angle sensor. When the ECU sees that the 2 sensors are not 100% in sync, the ECU thinks a misfire has occured and throws that error. That error sometimes gets thrown on cars that have cams or a lightweight flywheel. The wiring hack to make a 1G motor work in a 2G often causes an extreme version of the random misfire error that makes the car run like crap. The main fix for the problem is to get DSMLink and uncheck it in the DTC menu.

Quote: