MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-12-2007   #1
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle
Decision troubles

I have a couple DSM's and a shit load of parts. I just bought a house so I will finally have all of my parts in one place at one time! I have a 91 talon TSI slightly modded and I just bought Nates 92 talon TSI awd. Trouble is I don't want the 91 now that I got the 92.

The 91 has 3inch exhaust, 14b, 255 fuel pump, adjustable FPR, MBC, eprom ecu and a couple other minor things.

The 92 needs a turbo, exhaust, injectors, ECU and a couple other things as well. ( non performance related crap like tranny, radiatior etc)

My trouble is this. My 91 goes through oil from either the motor or the 14b. I haven't had the time to figure which is the cursed annoyance but it's not really a big deal either way. Car still runs, drives and gets 20+ mpg consistantly. The 92 probably already has a 255 FP. I have a small 16 g in great condition sitting at my house. I don't really want a race car anymore. I just want to enjoy a nice reliable ride. However... if I could make the car operate with just some exhaust, s16g, 450's and a 255.. I'd be happy. Even stock boost.

I just need some guidance. I've never tried to make a car close to stock with a 16g turbo. The ONLY reason I want to use the turbo is because I think my 14b is on it's way out the door and the 16g is in great condition. Hell I don't even plan to own a MBC. I want to run 11 psi and not go through any oil!

Open to criticism!.. hopefully more ideas / information though :P
Old 03-12-2007   #2
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3
Re: Decision troubles

I mentioned this to you before, but I had my 16G on befor einjectors and fuel pump. I was able to run 14-15psi. At 15 it started knocking from 6K up, but that was mostly due to the fuel pump running out of steam. The unjectors were running high duty cycles, but supplying enough fuel as long as the fuel pump could match.

I don't see any problem with running that setup as long as you can keep the boost low.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #3
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

I don't intend to have an AFC or any sort of fuel management system so I really would have no way to know how the duty cycles were on the injectors but if a couple people have tried > close to stock boost on a stock or larger pump and stock injectors with a s16g or larger < I should be able to trust it.

The setup *idea* was S16g, 255 walbro, Adjustable FPR, 2g o2 housing, stock DP and 2.5inch cat back, stock injectors, ECU, SMIC etc. Stock boost levels. Just so people that don't read the first long thread have an idea :P

If I could find a way to keep the boost down, I'd keep the 3inch exhaust system. I just can't keep it from boosting. Either 3inch system is flat out overkill on a 14b or it's something else causing the creeping.. Not really sure what else to relate it to. Possibly the turbo but I'm not sure how to tell!
Old 03-12-2007   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Simple case of boost creep, you need a better o2 housing and/or a ported wastegate.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #5
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kracka View Post
Simple case of boost creep, you need a better o2 housing and/or a ported wastegate.
I have an o2 eliminator. It shouldn't be that. The 16g on the car before didn't creep with this exhaust.
Old 03-12-2007   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

If its a totally stock 14B try porting out the wastegate and using a larger flapper if needed. 3" exhaust is overkill for a 14B though.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #7
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

I've had this 14b on 3 different cars over the past 3-4 years so I wouldn't doubt if the area where the waste gate seals is completely cracked to shit. I'll give it a shot when I take it off the car.

Anyone else ran a 16g with a setup like the one I'm shooting for?
Old 03-12-2007   #8
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

A smaller exhaust will probably stop creep as well.

You can check injector duty cycles with a data logger. If you don't want to buy one you can easily borrow one and check it to be sure you're in a safe zone before keeping the setup long term.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #9
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

My car has a similar setup to this. I'm running 15psi on stock injectors and a small 16g. I don't have any kind of logging equpiment or anything, but it seems to run out of steam above 6k rpm or so. I'm not sure if it's because I'm running out of fuel, or if it's knocking, but I don't usually drive it that hard, so I'm not too concerned about it at the moment. I have some sort of a high flow fuel pump, but I'm not quite sure what it is. It was over-runing the stock fpr, so I ended up throwing an Aeromotive afpr on there, so now it doesn't studder at full boost anymore.