Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2007   #21
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: best head gasket for 91 tsi

That is exactly why I now use a stocker. I melted some big channels in the head when I was on the dyno with the cometic HP. I would rather spend 3 hours changing a head gasket than having a head rewelded.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
Old 04-11-2007   #22
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer

No one will ever agree on what head gasket to use.

Cometic = High High Boost applications (28plus PSI, ONLY if block and head are both properly machined)

SCE ICS = High High Boost applications (28plus PSI, can be used on non true surfaces, but not recommended)

OE Mitsu = Any regular old DSM (up to 25psi on anything up to a 50trim)

While I haven't seen much about the SCE ICS headgasket, I know that copper is a FANTASTIC material for a head gasket, and I see it possibly making cometics go obsolete. The fact that it has a built in steel ring that acts a tiny bit like an O-Ring I find sweet. Downside is if the head starts lifting (fucking cylinder pressure!) you can start to ruin things. Same goes with any other gasket though.

Thats my .02
Old 04-11-2007   #23
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb_ricer View Post
No one will ever agree on what head gasket to use.

OE Mitsu = Any regular old DSM (up to 25psi on anything up to a 50trim)
I've ran 35psi with the OEM head gasket and 42psi with an o-ringed head and OEM head gasket.

As for the opinions...

I'd use a OEM H/G as well.
Old 04-11-2007   #24
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Yeah, saying the stock HG is good to 25 psi on a 50 trim and under is just dumb. I know one member that finally got the stocker to pop at 41 psi on the dyno. It held high 30's fine. Oh yeah, it was bigger than a 50 trim too and made over 500 whp.

Old 04-11-2007   #25
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Yeah, saying the stock HG is good to 25 psi on a 50 trim and under is just dumb. I know one member that finally got the stocker to pop at 41 psi on the dyno. It held high 30's fine. Oh yeah, it was bigger than a 50 trim too and made over 500 whp.
"No one can agree".

Unless everyone on this website is wrong for successfully using OEM headgaskets for years, I think there is an agreement.
Old 04-11-2007   #26
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer

On a motor that is going to be running 40lbs of boost, please give me a good reason to run a OE composite gasket other than inability to tune.

Wait, wait, I got it! The OE's are wrong for using non composite gaskets in almost all high HP factory engines now! Sorry, MLS and Copper head gaskets suck!

For high horsepower applications, there are MUCH better options out there IE Cometic and SCE ICS, or hell, even an OE Mitsu MLS.

Last edited by dumb_ricer; 04-11-2007 at 10:56 AM..
Old 04-11-2007   #27
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
"No one can agree".

I really think someone from there could actually give proper tech input on the subject at hand.

Unless everyone on this website is wrong for successfully using OEM headgaskets for years.
Maybe if you would stop being a jackass and listen to what we are saying rather than think of yourself as the almighty car god you would get the point we are trying to make.

Will the OEM head gasket work for this application? Yes

Is it the best head gasket available? No.

Perhaps you should read the title of this thread more closely? And you can't honestly tell me that the OEM head gasket is the best choice running upwards of 40 psi???

Here is some "proper tech input" on a material known as Copper, and three reasons why it makes a better head gasket:

1. Conductivity. Copper is the standard by which all other conductors are measured, therefore a copper gasket provides superior thermal conductivity, acting to stabilize head and block temperatures which makes tuning easier.

2. 25% coefficient of elasticity. One of the properties of copper is that it stretches before a catastrophic failure, thereby providing an extra measure of safety in case of severe detonation.

3. Strength. Copper has a tensile strength of approximately 32,000 psi, compare this to the 1,200 to 1800 psi tensile of most facing materials used on conventional performance head gaskets.
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!

Last edited by v8klla; 04-11-2007 at 11:00 AM..
Old 04-11-2007   #28
scheides
flips McGee

Easy now boys.
Old 04-11-2007   #29
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Copper normally shouldn't be used unless you are doing an O-ring/reciever groove setup on the block/head. People have had nothing but problems with copper headgaskets the last 10 years on DSMs. Maybe these new ones are better, but the older SCE stuff was crap.

Stock headgaskets are awesome, I run 28psi on stock headbolts with them on my own cars. The Mitsu metal HGs are awesome until they start leaking between the layers. Cometics are great also when the surfaces are prepped properly. There is a reason why they stopped making the Cometic HP versions also.
Old 04-11-2007   #30
v8klla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Copper normally shouldn't be used unless you are doing an O-ring/reciever groove setup on the block/head. People have had nothing but problems with copper headgaskets the last 10 years on DSMs. Maybe these new ones are better, but the older SCE stuff was crap.

Stock headgaskets are awesome, I run 28psi on stock headbolts with them on my own cars. The Mitsu metal HGs are awesome until they start leaking between the layers. Cometics are great also when the surfaces are prepped properly. There is a reason why they stopped making the Cometic HP versions also.
I agree without the ICS (Internal Combustion Seal) the SCE wouldn't be a viable option. It is as close to O-ringing as you can get without actually doing to machine work lol. And as far as I know the Cometic HP's were discontinued based upon their version of the ICS which moved around freely and caused several issues when not properly installed...

Stock head bolts huh?

Chris

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!
Old 04-11-2007   #31
JET
Is funding Exxon.

This block in question is not being honed, so it will not be flat. He is also not going to be running 40 psi, therefore for this application the stock headgasket IS the best for this application. If he were going to consistently run over 35 psi or had both the head and block remachined, then that would change.

Old 04-11-2007   #32
v8klla

There is no question that the OEM will work, my point is simply that the ICS Titan would be better if he decides to add modifications down the line. Also, with the ICS Titan it is not required that the surface be machined. Therefore we will be using these on all non-machined high boost applications.

Old 04-11-2007   #33
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Stock 1G head bolts are very strong, maybe stronger than ARPs. There is also a huge difference between 28psi on a 14B and 28psi on GT35R. Cylinder pressure is what spins that crank device in the bottom of the motor, not boost.
Old 04-11-2007   #34
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Get one of those Cut-it-yourself gasket makers. It's cheaper than stock and you can get it close to round if you try hard enough.

Better yet, RTV!!!!!!!

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)

Last edited by At-Least-It's-An-Evo; 04-11-2007 at 01:43 PM..
Old 04-11-2007   #35
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

Don't even run a hg. If the surfaces are flat enough, just tighten down the headstuds! Duh!

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Old 04-11-2007   #36
scheides
flips McGee

+1 for RTV!
Old 04-11-2007   #37
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8klla View Post
Maybe if you would stop being a jackass and listen to what we are saying rather than think of yourself as the almighty car god you would get the point we are trying to make.
Why thank you. I tend to think that I know a thing or two about cars, but a car god? You shouldn't have.
I am hearing EXACTLY what you are saying. We have these instock and on sale. I've got this sweet account and can link information from the vendors website for supporting facts. Give credit where credit is due? Why would I do that?

Quote:
Will the OEM head gasket work for this application? Yes

Is it the best head gasket available? No.
Well Duh. But if you looked at what the customer has for modifications, not your shelf stock, you would realize your recommondation is WRONG. He has intercooler piping and a fmic as modifications. Unless he is trying to make a car that makes more power than most people on this website, he'll be fine. Now if he listed stuff like "I want 600+awhp" then yes a properly configured copper/composite headgasket with the proper surface on the head deck will be a good idea.
Quote:
Perhaps you should read the title of this thread more closely? And you can't honestly tell me that the OEM head gasket is the best choice running upwards of 40 psi???
Yeah he said best head gasket for 91 tsi. Not best headgasket for my 71mm, built motor, built car. He blew a headgasket on his stockish car, he wants a replacement. Yes he does not want to replace it again, but spending extra money for an item that is not needed is a bit foolish.

Quote:
Here is some "proper tech input" on a material known as Copper, and three reasons why it makes a better head gasket:

1. Conductivity. Copper is the standard by which all other conductors are measured, therefore a copper gasket provides superior thermal conductivity, acting to stabilize head and block temperatures which makes tuning easier.

2. 25% coefficient of elasticity. One of the properties of copper is that it stretches before a catastrophic failure, thereby providing an extra measure of safety in case of severe detonation.

3. Strength. Copper has a tensile strength of approximately 32,000 psi, compare this to the 1,200 to 1800 psi tensile of most facing materials used on conventional performance head gaskets.
http://www.scegaskets.com/techtips/benefitsof.html

You could have just linked it you jackass. Great copy and paste.

The difference between you and me, is that I WRITE the fucking tech articles, you just copy and paste them.

Now back to designing upgraded oil pump gears for the 6g72's and other products for vehicles that NEED it. Forgive me for devoting R&D time into worthwhile products with my "godlike" powers, LMAO.
Old 04-11-2007   #38
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

Com'on guys, no need to call out eachother on a forum where you are both vendors.

Here is a hose.... Wash that sand out your vagina. Its the internet guys!

Last edited by EclipseGST; 04-11-2007 at 02:34 PM..
Old 04-11-2007   #39
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Wow, simply wow. There goes the "we welcome competition". Ditch the Buschur-like better than God attitude Swanny; in the long-run, its never good for a business nor is is good for friendly competition.
Old 04-11-2007   #40
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Swanny- You DO need to stop acting like a "Car God," it gets real old and definetly is going to hurt you. Everyone has different opinions and yours is NOT always correct. If you would have done things right on your 3S in the first place, you would not have blown how many engines? So don't get into the topic of spending extra money for an item that isn't "needed."

Original topic was what is the BEST head gasket for a 91 tsi AWD, didn't say anything else. So technically the best is usually the top model of X brand. Therefore a stock mitsu is not correct, even though it might be good enough or the best option for now.

All this one sided shop talk is getting pretty rediculous.
Closed Thread