MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-04-2008   #21
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3
Re: clutch kit suggestion

Puck discs aren't near as bad as some people claim. You just need to get used to driving with them.

Of course there is no good reason for you to go with one at that power level, but I have to say I don't mind driving my car with a 6-puck, even in traffic.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #22
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian

Yea I'm sure I'd get used to a puck clutch. Kracka I'll look into the southbend clutches as well. They seem pretty comparable to the 2600. Either way I'm sure I'd be fine. It really depends a lot on what kinda deals are goin on with em.

map care to pm me prices of the southbend and 2600 clutchs???
Old 01-04-2008   #23
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Have you considered RRE's X-Clutch? They don't advertise it much, but it's very comparible to an ACT 2600. It's their own PP, and utilizes a full face organic disc like ACT does. I believe there's has a 2700lb clamping force, but seems a little easier on your leg then an ACT 2600. I think a 2900 is overkill. One thing I do not like about the ACT 2600 is the fact that sometimes they will drag around the 7.5-8k rpm levels, which synchros don't seem to enjoy much. But if you're not revving that high, then it's a non-issue.

As for the Fidanza clutches Chris was bringing up, that is actually going to be my next clutch. Their 4.3 one.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #24
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

You can reuse the ACT pressure plates through about three street discs, I'd just replace the disc for $110 and call it good. You sure aren't wearing out a 2600 with 300 whp. I just clean up the surface of the PP with some 80 grit sandpaper on a palm sander, never had a problem at 395 whp.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #25
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

If you do order just a new disc, you need to figure out which PP you have. ACT revised their disc's and have beefier springs in them now. They also revised their PP's to accomodate the larger disc. If you have the older PP, and throw in the newer style disc, there is a possibilty that you can cause some tranny damage.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #26
HiImBrian

Yea I heard something about that. I was sorta just waiting for somebody to say something instead of bringing it up and being wrong and sounding like an idiot haha. Would anybody else recommend this as well?

hey kracka, do you know for a fact that the clutch installed is in fact a 2600? I have had swanny and shane feel it and they agreed it felt like a 2600, but besides their guess I don't really know.
Old 01-04-2008   #27
HiImBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
If you do order just a new disc, you need to figure out which PP you have. ACT revised their disc's and have beefier springs in them now. They also revised their PP's to accomodate the larger disc. If you have the older PP, and throw in the newer style disc, there is a possibilty that you can cause some tranny damage.
The only shitty part to this is I can't tell what pp I have until I drop the tranny correct? btw, I really do appreciate all your guys' help. I swear I've got like 5 tabs open but I'm not finding too much useful information.
Old 01-04-2008   #28
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

If Swanny and Shane both think it feels like a 2600 I'd be willing to bet they are right. I don't know for certain what clutch Andrew had in there. He might have even bought it like that (he bought it from Steve Hill).

Good call on that new disc design Brandon. Use an OEM Mitsu disc if you have the older PP design (which you do).
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #29
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

You can find out what PP you have if it's an ACT, they have the part number on the inside of one of the fingers. It's something like MBxx or something, it'll correlate directly to the part numbers on their website. On the custom ones I got from Brent, the exact pressure was actually written on the outside and it had a funky part number as well.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #30
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion

Ive got a 6-puck Competition clutch in mine and I love it!

http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...cat=457&page=1

I did the restricter remove mod and its light as hell! absolutely no clutch chatter.

I have owned dsms with the act 2100 (great cluch for stock power), act 2600 w/organic disk(best combo ever), and a act 2600w/sprung 6-puck (chattery, but awesome slip-launches!)
Old 01-04-2008   #31
HiImBrian

Anybody know when ACT revised their pressure plates? I know mine is at the very least 3 years old. So considering my pp is the 2600 and is the older one would I be safe to throw in the oem disk? I'll more than likely get a lightweight (11.5ish pounds) flywheel and for sure get the pp cleaned up.
Old 01-05-2008   #32
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

The revision was fairly recent (maybe a year or so ago?) so you're safe to assume you have the old version.
Old 01-05-2008   #33
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
What kind of power are you planning on making? I have really enjoyed my RRE X-Clutch and it's held my 50-trim power levels just fine. Plus they have excellent customer service!
im planning to hit the 350ish awhp mark daily driven all year long. does the 2600 clutch feel very heavy compared to the 2100?? because my cousin used to have a 2600 in his talon and i thought i was pushing a wall through the clutch pedal. Thanks for the advice guys. much help needed indeed. I also was reading about the southbend DXD and heard they were good but couldnt take much before they start to go... thanks for the feed back
Old 01-05-2008   #34
HiImBrian

Just by reading this thread you should be able to see that the southbend dxd and the act 2600 are very comparable clutches. I think I will end up with a southbend dxd for the main reason that they are a fair amount cheaper than the 2600s and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

btw, my 2600 was very stiff but I actually loved it.
Old 01-06-2008   #35
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Southbend DXD can take almost as much abuse as the 2600 can, plus the pedal is lighter and the engagement is smoother.
Old 01-06-2008   #36
crazy_skier
A.E.K.Δ.B

Beer Dude 2 Champion!
Drives: 1994 Suburban

I really like my act2600 pp with a south bend clutch kevlar spung disk. It keeps the drivability easy and is super grabby compared to my old full 2600 set up. Also, it is holding a sold 350 at the wheels. Twicks69 on dsmtuners was running this exact set up in his car that was pushing around 500 awhp. but he has now upgraded to a twin disk since he's into the 700's.

here is the pm that he sent me

I ran the South Bend Kevlar sprung disk for 30K+ miles with around 500AWHP running as fast as 11.0 @ 133.

The setup with a fidanza flywheel and a 2600 pressure plate was fantastic. I only stepped up to bigger and better things (quartermaster twin disk with PTT flywheel) because the clutch was starting to get a little worn out, and the horsepower was increasing (GT40R).

When I took the clutch out, there was still a good amount of life left on the disk, and the pressure plate and flywheel were in fantastic condition. No real hot spots, no friction plate warping on the flywheel, etc.

I had well over 200 launches on the disk, over 100 dyno pulls (all over 400awhp), at least 100 1/4 mile passes.

I definitely reccomend it ( I did 2 reviews on their website for this clutch also -- http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ch_Disks//2188 )

I hope that this helps,

Sincerely,

Tim Zimmer

hope that helps
crazy_skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #37
ESchwanz

Drives: 97 GSX

ahhh southbend DXD

I had it replaced with a competition clutch stage 4 and an ACT Streetlite flywheel, Solid braided line Master direct to slave cylinder & I love it!! http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...cat=457&page=1

Last edited by ESchwanz; 01-06-2008 at 03:26 PM..
ESchwanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #38
scheides
flips McGee

Geez you guys, so many posts ragging on broken clutches that are several years old and have tens of thousands of miles on them holding lots of power and taking lots of abuse. Clutches are freaking wear items, they're meant to only last so long, go so far, take so much abuse. If you have something that holds power and the way you drive your car for a long time, and you know its limitations, why rag on it and why change to something else?

Eschwantz, I know for sure if I had your car again and knowing what that clutch has been through I would for sure put a new one on exactly like it.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #39
scheides
flips McGee

Also, Eschwanz, you need to proceed your dxd pics with some specifics: 2 years of 280+whp, then ~220whp-ish and sold to 16-year-old for 1.5 years, then you have had it for a month or two before it broke...that's a lot of abuse for a part like that!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #40
TsiEagleTalon92

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Palisade

So what should I go for then? I currently have 2600 which blows chunks. It's slipping with less than 10k on it and I don't beat on it very often for sake of fuel consumption. The only thing I like is the heavy pedal pressure. I want one that could hold up extremely well with that kind of pressure.
TsiEagleTalon92 is offline   Reply With Quote