MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-25-2005   #1
97GSXAWD

3065 or 3575

I am trying to decide between these two turbos. I am looking for advice on which to run; mostly from Shane, Cher or anyone that has experience with a 2.4 and a 65+ Lb/min turbo. If someone has any other options for turbos that flow between 65 and 75 lbs/min let me know. I am hoping for spool in the mid 4K range at the latest and I think the 3575 could do it but I am not 100% sure it will spool before 5K.

I am looking to make between 6 and 700Whp. I have been hoping to find something with a compressor that can flow about 70 lbs but have had no luck. I don't want this to turn into a thread where people are saying that these are big turbos and that I do not know what I am getting into. Please keep it to a suggestion with a possible spool rpm. The engine mods that will be done when the turbo goes on are:

2.4L Eagle/CP
Ported head with Crower 414s
Fidanza cam gears
DSMLink
950cc injectors
3.5" maft
full 3" exhaust
QPR built intake manifold
dvdt FMIC
255HP in-tank with Bosch -044 in-line

Thanks in advance for the help

Chris
Old 06-25-2005   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: 3065 or 3575

I am not going to check the compressor maps for ya, but the PTE line has several in the area you are looking at. Are you going full garrett? The 6152S like I have is supposedly good for 650hp, but I think that is a little high. The PT-63 looks like it would work well for you or the PT-61 possibly too.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005   #3
97GSXAWD

I havn't really looked into the PTE turbos because I fell in love with the FP housing. I like the idea of having the wastegate on the housing like that but I would be willing to go with a t3/t4 or possibly a full t4. My biggest fear is that I won't be able to get something to spool in the range I want and the turbo is going to turn into a lightswitch.

So, you think the PT-63 or 61 would work well? I would kind of like to get Cher's opinion on the FPT67 that he used to run. I would also like Shanes opinion for my choices cause I know he can pick a turbo.

How is the spool-up with your 6152? Something a little bigger may be exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the help Jet.

Chris
Old 06-25-2005   #4
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

My 67 is very laggy. It spools around 5400-5600 on the dyno, and thats with my 5" 3.5" exhaust on it. Cher's FPT67 was very very laggy, it was lucky to spool by 6000. PTE's 3767 and FPs 3575 use a GT37 exhaust wheel, which spools a tad bit better than the exhaust wheel me and Cher had. Just remember, big exhaust wheels and bit exhaust sides make power, but add crap loads of lag. The compressor wheel is the lightest component of the turbo, so going to a bigger wheel isn't usually the main reason why a bigger turbo is laggier, it is because in order for it to make the power that the compressor wheel is capable of producing, you need a big exhaust side to get it out. The FP3065 is a good choice though, if you want spoolup and throttle response, since it is dual ball-bearing, while the FP3575 is not. You could also possibly get them to make an FP3565, while is essentially a GT35R with their turbine housing on it.
Old 06-25-2005   #5
97GSXAWD

Wow, I didn't realize how laggy yours and Cher's turbos were. I was going to ask about the 3565 but I wasn't sure if anyone had much info on it. Do you think that with enough tuning the 3565 could make 600+ at the wheels? I only ask because the 3065 is rated at 650hp and I am assuming that is stating a number at the flywheel. So, that would be pushing the turbo towards the limits.

Shane what are your thoughts on a PTE turbo vs. a Garrett. I take it your favorite would be a garrett but if you have any opinion on the PTE's let me know.

It looks like I will have to give FP a call the next time I get a rain day from work. Thanks a ton for the help Shane and Jet!!

Chris
97GSXAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005   #6
JET
Is funding Exxon.

My 6152S (S cover instead of the E cover) spooled around 4000 on the dyno and 3800 on the street. I am pretty sure that is what it was. I didn't get to drive it much, but it spooled just like the 50 trim did on my 2.0. It will be a great street turbo on the 2.4.

Old 06-26-2005   #7
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Lag is overrated. Get a 67 and be done with it. But just an honest opinion; get a 3575. You will get use to it.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #8
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97GSXAWD
Shane what are your thoughts on a PTE turbo vs. a Garrett. I take it your favorite would be a garrett but if you have any opinion on the PTE's let me know.
PTE is Garrett parts, same with most of the turbos out there. They take turbos and parts from Garrett and build different turbos for different applications and make some of their own housings. Most unmodified off the shelf Garrett turbos are either very generic like the cheap 57-trim and 60-trim turbos you can get everywhere or the wheels are too much of a mismatch for smaller displacement apps, because they are meant for a diesel truck. I run a PTE turbo, most people I know also run them.

I think a 61mm turbo could make 600whp with a 2.4l, enough boost and the right exhaust side. I would try to GT35 exhaust wheel instead of the GT30. Speedfreak made 556whp with his 61mm/GT35 turbo at 30psi. Turning the boost up to 35psi should have made over 600whp, he also had some problems that we figured out later. So he might be close to 600whp at 30psi, the next time we dyno it with everything fixed.

600+whp is a lot though. There are very few people out there making that kind of power with a DSM. With a light car, you can go fast without needed 600+whp. Even Brent Rau wasn't making 600whp when he went 10.0 without nitrous at Rock Falls in his AWD. Be ready to break stuff.
Old 06-26-2005   #9
97GSXAWD

Thanks for the input Shane. After realizing that the 3565 is basically a GT35R I have looked more into those turbos and was wondering what kind of prices you have them for? It seems like a turbo with the 61mm/GT35 wheels and a .82AR may be the ticket for what I want. Would it be possible to get the prices on the 61mm/GT35 or a 63mm/GT35 and I would think a .82 housing because I know the 2.4's like to breath up top. You can PM me prices if you prefer.

As for the comment about not really needing 600+; I am looking to make that mostly because I plan on running a heavier than stock car when I go to the track so i will be needing the power to make up for my extra weight. And for breaking stuff thats okay too. It's only my weekend/track/show car. If it's not running I still have ways to get around. I do understand though that this is going to be a lot of power and things will break.

Thank you very much Shane for all of your help. It seems as though I may be coming to you in a week or two to order a turbo.
Old 06-26-2005   #10
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Yeah, ask Shane about running a heavy, high HP car!

Old 06-26-2005   #11
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

I can't supply any GT35 exhaust wheel based turbos right now. Your best bet is to talk to FP, they might have some still. PTE hasn't been able to get any GT35 parts from Garrett for months now and has no idea when they will be back in stock.
Old 06-26-2005   #12
97GSXAWD

Thanks for that info. I guess I'll give FP a call when I get a chance hopefully someone will be able to get parts within the next six months when the car should be getting put back together. Thanks Jet, Shane, and Cher for the help with chosing this.
97GSXAWD is offline   Reply With Quote