MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 05-23-2005   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question Started car for first time Need Help

Well late last night i finally started my '99 GSX up after being down since late Oct. Had head ported, HKS 272's installed, 50trim, 780cc injectors among other things upgraded.

I saved the valve cover for last because i wanted to add the oil directly onto the valves,springs,etc. That way she wasn't starting dry. Since the lash adjusters were dry i knew she was going to 'clack' for a little while. Fastened the valve cover down.

So with the fuel pump fuse out, i turn it over 3 times with a duration of 10-15 seconds each time to prime it some. I put the fuse back in and started it and she fired right away. Just as i thought she clacked pretty good. I let it run for about 4-5 minutes and the clack still continued so i looked in the car and the oil dummy light is on. So my first impression was she's not getting oil but i never monkeyed with the bottom end of the motor to change anything that would make that stop. So in the front of the head on the passenger side is a little 1/8" plug for oil pressure gauge. I took the plug out and set a rag near it. I started car for about 5 seconds and oil gushed out of the plug. Definately oil getting to the head. I pulled the return line off the turbo and oil is definately going through the turbo.

#1 At an idle speed, how long would a motor clack for, or take for the lash adjusters to fill up?

#2 Any ideas on why the oil dummy light would be on? The sending unit was fine before the project.

Thanks for your help.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #2
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Re: Started car for first time Need Help

Is the wiring for the oil dummy light hooked up?

Is the oil distribution block in the head?
Old 05-23-2005   #3
Onefast99gsx

Yes, that one little wire that connected to the sender IS on. However it has fallen off at times. I think the connector is worn out. I might try hard wiring it for test purposes.

I did put the distribution block back on when assembling, I believe it was a cover with 3 or 4 10mm bolts. I think there was only one way of putting it on too.

Thoughts???
Old 05-23-2005   #4
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Are both senders hooked up? There is one for the gauge on the dash and one for the dummy light.
Old 05-23-2005   #5
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Does the lifter noise continue when you rev the car up a bit? Are you sure the noise isn't from the PCV valve?
Old 05-23-2005   #6
Onefast99gsx

I'm gonna have to look at the wires again. If i told you, i'd be just guessing at it. I know what you mean, there is the sending unit and the switch and each has it's own wire. I will check.

When reving, the ticking just seems to get faster the higher the rpms get. I have my PCV valve in but no hose is attached to it because i'm waiting my my catch can to come in. What would you say is the longest it's taken for the lashes to adjust after a rebuild?
Old 05-23-2005   #7
Onefast99gsx

Update: Went home for lunch, fiddled with the wires that goes to the sender and switch(what a poor design). Started car up and i bet it wasn't a minute and the tick that i described above was gone. Popped the oil cap and the cams were nice and oily so if i would have just waited a little more last night i would have been fine but when i think something isn't right, I always STOP. There still is a nice tick coming from the behind the head. I had to be the injectors. Are PTE 780 style injectors pretty noisy??? The only way i can describe the tick is like a electric bug zapper in high speed.

Thanks...
Old 05-23-2005   #8
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Yep, that should be your injectors.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #9
Onefast99gsx

Thanks Jet for you input on this. It was an exciting night lats night to start it for the first time in months. The idle sound of the 272's is sweet!
Old 05-23-2005   #10
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes

yeah, i have same damn loud mouth injectors... they are louder than my engine they must be female injectors
Old 05-23-2005   #11
Onefast99gsx

Haha! A laugh out of that one. boy! painting the exhaust manifold and 02 housing with high temp 1200 deg paint was a mistake. That stuff won't hold up for nothing. Looked pretty but now it's starting to burn off. I thought for sure it would hold up longer than that.
Old 05-23-2005   #12
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

The electric zapping noise is probably your PCV valve. Cams make the ball in it bounce back and forth at idle.
Old 05-23-2005   #13
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Drives: 1993 Talon AWD
Send a message via MSN to 1slowdsm

sorry to interrupt, but that zapping noise is the injectors then? I thought it was my lifters! It ticks really slow sometimes and when I rev up it ticks quickly. Sometimes it just ticks quickly at normal idle.

I'd like to hear how those cams sound like. I gotta try them out sometime in the far future! Does it have the mean idle to it?
1slowdsm is offline   Reply With Quote