MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 11-01-2004   #1
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle
bogging in boost

My car was just put together and just started running so it could be a number of things. Im not sure what my car exactly is doing when i hit the boost , but it bogs down hardcore if i hit max boost ( stock). My RPM guage is not hooked up yet so i cannot see what the RPMS are doing, but i will be getting that hooked up asap. What could be some issues with this? ANY help or suggestions would be awesome. thanks.
Old 11-01-2004   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Do you have acess to a Logger? If so, those are generally a great help in figuring out a problem. The easiest places to start looking would be your plugs and wires. Any check engine lights?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #3
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

no check engine lights. I can get ahold of a pocket PC i think but i think its only for obd2?
Old 11-01-2004   #4
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

It was fuel cut. I guess i have no sort of boost controller and the way its all setup is allowing the boost to spike as high as the fuel will let it, then it bogs... That problem is being solved friday and will not be driven till then. I also have some other fix up work to do then.
Old 11-01-2004   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Run a vacuum line straight from a boost preasure source to the turbo wastegate. You'll run about 10 psi that way and you'll have no problems (assuming its the stock wastegate).
Old 11-02-2004   #6
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lazerRST
It was fuel cut. I guess i have no sort of boost controller and the way its all setup is allowing the boost to spike as high as the fuel will let it, then it bogs...
Fuel cut would by no means be classified anywhere near a bog. You were probably detonating because of too much boost on pump gas. If you hit fuel cut you would have been trying your damndest to keep from eating your steering wheel! I would really recommend staying out of the throttle until you get that fixed, like talontsidude said, just run a vacuum line to it and run 10 psi.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #7
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Bogging was the best way to describe it i guess... i know when its gonna come so its not a huge shock. I am pretty sure thats what it is. Im gonna reroute some lines and get it at stock lvl and we will see if that is the case. If its not the case, i will be back here begging for help
Old 11-02-2004   #8
Emcee gsxtc

Send a message via AIM to Emcee gsxtc
Yeah be careful, fuel cut hurts, and steering wheels do not taste good.

Pick Two: FAST CHEAP RELIABLE
Emcee gsxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #9
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
Fuel cut is scary, it feels like you just left your motor and trans behind you when it stops.

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #10
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Well i got my lines adjusted properly, and when i can come up with some money i will get a boost guage so i can see where my boost is exactly at. However, every once in a while, when i go past 5k hard ( WOT) it occassionally does this "bogging" It could be a bad misfire.. it is quite scary but its not how you guys describe fuel cut ( mouth in the wheel kinda shit) . Any ideas? If it is misfire, is that my timing or what?
Old 11-05-2004   #11
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
Fuel cut occurs when the ECU sees entirely too much air compared to the amount of fuel it thinks it is delivering. It then tells you by doing something that results in the car feeling like it just dropped the motor out of the car. It feels like you hit a huge pothole while going 100mph, as said before, it would be hard to not bite the steering wheel.

You may just be knocking so hard(probably due to boost creep, what kind of exhaust/o2 housing are you using?) at that RPM that the ECU is pulling a shitload of timing and it feels like your car isn't going anywhere when it should be. My car does that due to a bad knock sensor, I can watch my knock count max out randomly while cruising and if I stomp on it just for giggles, I can hit 17psi and feel like I barely even put it down.

Get a boost gauge, controller, datalogger, and make sure your plugs are good and gapped properly and only run premium 92 octane, unless you hate your pistons.

Hope this helps.

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #12
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Maybe you are getting spark blowout. Did you put new plugs and wires on the car? If so, what kind? If not, that should deffinately be something you look at. Gap your plugs to .030 and you should be set (NGK BPR6ES or 7ES...7ES if you plan on upping the boost and modding in the near future).
Old 11-05-2004   #13
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

I have all stock exhaust, but the flex pipe is rusted through like no other. That could create creep couldnt it? I mean, it feels like the boost is low and constant. like 10psi should be.. I did get plugs and gapped them, but i had no money for wires. Ill see wut i can do about those today. Im keeping my car mostly stock ( only upgrades are the important things like intake / exhaust / IC piping boost guage etc. just enough to keep me happy and keep it clean).
Old 11-05-2004   #14
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Sounds like you should run some 6ES plugs at a .030 gap. Replace those wires of yours with something decent (not cheap Allied Signal wires). Bosch or NGK should do.
Old 11-05-2004   #15
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

i can get some 7 mm ngks at napa for 40 bux. Why doesnt this sound right.. I ran into a load of problems today. It was "running" like a champ last night... but that was last night

Today, i had filled up the tank with some ol SA 92 octane. Drove around.. pushin my stock boost a bit.. Havin a good old time by myself on CR42.. I went to qpr.. got some parts for my car ( tensioners, balance shaft belt, GOOD alternator peice, and front motor mount). When i went to leave.. the damn thing wouldnt start

So mike busts out the lil car starter thing and she fired up.. reved it so it would stay alive.. drove it home.. let it cool off.. parked it.. Put the alternator peice in.. went to bring the GF home and she wouldnt boost right. the stock guage says 7psi ( i know its not accurate). I kept trying a little here and there.. I dropped her off. On the way home, i was a little more fearless.

I knew my buddy was meeting me so if the car broke, at least id have a ride. So i kept tryin to boost it.. 3.. 4.. maybe 5 gears.. Then i went and stopped at the store.. let it run while i was in there. Came out, went on the road and i couldnt get past 3k or it would BOG LIKE HELL. ( not fuel cut type). Then i noticed all of my lights flickering with my blinkers.. The radio was flippin out, turning on n off.. etc. I struggled to get home and i finally did.

I parked in the drive way, let it cool off.. went in and opened up the garage door. The fucker wouldnt start. I could just hear the selinoid clickin fast as hell when i turned the key. The windshield wippers would barely move etc.

I have gotten 1 opinion on what the possible issues are, and i would like to gain some more before i go off buyin parts with the last of my paycheck. Any accurate scenerios would be appreciated. Sorry for all of the details, i just didnt want to miss anything.

-josh
Old 11-05-2004   #16
Shotgun!
Totenritt

Drives: Cranberry Plastic, Shiny red Bayliner with a V10
Send a message via AIM to Shotgun! Send a message via MSN to Shotgun!
$40 is not a bad price for those wires. Don't use SA gas....EVER!!! Other than that, sounds like your car is a real POS (no offense).
Old 11-05-2004   #17
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

That last post was me BTW. Plugs, wires, some good gas, and start tracing your electrical problems. Start with the alternator, battery, and the 80A alt relay and then go from there.
Old 11-06-2004   #18
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

how can you tell if that fuse is bad? For one, it wont come out.. and it says there are 2 different altlenator fuses in my box. one on the left and one on the right. the one on the left IS covered in a black cover.. the other seems like a more normal fuse but i cant seem to get it ALL of the way out, it comes out some of the way.
Old 11-06-2004   #19
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST
yea it sounds to me like your alternater is bad... the all black "fuse" (as you would call it) is actually a relay.

and just to let you know boosting in 5th gear isnt really the smartest thing expecially if your car isnt running right. it produces the most hot air and works the hardest because 5th gear is the hardest gear the motor has to turn. and hot air adds up to knock and detination, which is not what you want your motor to do!
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #20
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

i didnt mean 3rd gear 4th gear 5th gear.. i meant i did a 2-5 different pulls through a gear.