MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-19-2011   #1
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Kracka's MAP EF2X dyno results - 400WHP on pump gas!

First of all, I want to thank multiple people and shops who helped make this happen! MAPerformance for their fantastic customer service and products, Cobb Tuning - Plano for taking the time and care I expect when working on my car and their attention to detail during tuning, and all my good friends for discussing setups, bouncing ideas off of, and shuttling me all around while my car was at Cobb!

I have been using Cobb Tuning - Plano for about a year now for tuning, labor-intensive installs, etc. so this should be a fairly accurate comparison since all dyno charts and tunes are from the same dyno with the same tuner, and oddly enough the weather cooperated and kept the conditions fairly consistent!

WW 2010 Evo X GSR SSS
93-octane pump gas
AFE DryflowS intake (stock MAF housing)
Cobb turbo inlet pipe
MAP EF2X turbo (ported/coated/HP WGA)
Grimspeed 3-port BCS
Nisei UICP
MAP FMIC
Depo LICP
Cobb XLE BPV
Mil.Spec 64mm throttle body
Mil.Spec ported intake manifold
ID1000 fuel injectors
Walbro 255HP fuel pump with Cobb install kit
PPI ported/coated exhaust manifold
MAP o2 elim downpipe (coated)
ETS testpipe
Cobb catback
*bold indicates new mod installed with the turbo

Below are the before and after charts. Blue is my previous setup, and red is the new setup. The only charges are above in bold.

horsepower/torque

boost/AFR

As you can see above, this turbo has huge gains above 6k RPM while still spooling like stock! Down low, besides for the change in noise (it sounds wicked), you'd swear you're driving a stock turbo car. It is just as responsive and spools almost identically, but once you get on it and it climbs into the upper RPM's it's like, "WHOA! WTF? Why isn't the power falling off?!?!" and it just keeps pulling! Very impressive indeed, I've yet to see a stockframe turbo spool like stock yet still provide these kinds of gains in the upper powerband.

I only have about 30 miles on it so far, but initial impression is that this is possibly the ultimate daily-driver street car turbo. Even at highway cruising speed in 5th gear when you lightly roll into the gas the turbo responds and pulls just like the stock turbo for effortless passing of another car. The slightest amount of gas is all it takes for this turbo to respond!

I'll continue to update this thread as I get more experience with this setup and get a better feel for it.

On to some pictures of the turbo...

Since there has been some discussion on the forum lately on how high pressure wastegate actuators should be pre-tensioned I will add that it did come out of the box pre-tensioned to half an eyelet/3 full turns from zero pre-tension. This actually turned out to be too much for what we were aiming for on my pump gas setup so all pre-tension was removed. The wastegate would begin to crack open around 19psi and would hold a steady 22psi; this should be about perfect for my setup so the ECU can still downward correct and I can run a conservative 91-octane "safe" tune while traveling in areas without good gas.

Last edited by Kracka; 10-19-2011 at 08:12 PM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #2
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: Kracka's MAP EF2X dyno results - 400WHP on pump gas!

Interesting results. The fatter afr down low and the loss of torque would indicate that perhaps the tuner pulled ignition timing on the second tune? The gains up top look related to the increase in boost pressure.
Dyno numbers only tell half the story, the street manners that you described are the real win when you combine them with the increased available boost amounts.
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #3
scheides
flips McGee

When you compare this car to your typical bolt-on X, the setup shines even more. Adding the ported IM/TB/EM help this combo a lot. If you compare the new setup with those vs your car before you had all the little extras, wow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Indeed! On the street I honestly do not feel the slight loss in low-end torque since you're through that RPM range so quickly. From the mid-range on up the gains are very noticeable though.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #5
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

This looks like a very nice all-around setup for a street car -and on pump gas no less!
Old 10-20-2011   #6
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I think its even sweeter that you are on pump, like Tachyon mentioned above.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote