MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 10-25-2005   #1
sleepy2lazy

Winter Tire Recommendations for the 2g AWD ?

Hey guys,

Was wondering what would be good winter tires for my 2g awd.
The best choice for a good price.

Went to discount tires today and looked at some tires.
I talked to the worker and asked about the winter tires. In the end, he talked mostly about the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2. The price quote he said to me would be around $650 for all 4 tires mounted on my cheap AR rims.
Looking on the web, the quote given for the PA2 is 138 per tire or total, $552.00.

Why is the price he gave me so high?
Also, what do you guys recommend instead of the Michelin PA2 ?
Should i just buy used tires?

The reason why i'm looking for winter tires is because last year, my current tire performance scared the crap out of me in the winter. I spun out once on the highway during the cold iced out days at 5am in the morning going to work. Luckily i was out there by myself.

Last edited by sleepy2lazy; 10-26-2005 at 12:59 AM..
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: Winter Tire Recommendations for the 2g AWD ?

The price he quoted was mounted and balanced probably, that is why it would be higher. I have the Winter Kings on my red car, also from Discount. They are cheap and work really well. With AWD I don't think you need to go all out and get the best ones out there.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #3
tim

If you are looking for snow and ice specific tires I would look into the Firestone Winterforce tires. You can find them at Sears and they are much cheaper than the Michelins. Most people I talk to prefer the Blizaak or Winterforce over the Michelin because of better traction, lower price, and longer wear. I have the Winterforce on the back of my 2WD S-10 last winter and they still look like brand new. If you dont like those you could go with the trusty Bridgestone Blizaak WS-50, they just cost a little more.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I recomend getting Winterforce snow tires from www.tirerack.com

These tires are cheap but still awsome, plus they are only $72 for the DSM 16" size.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #5
sideways motorsports

I agree with Jet, for the money a specific Snow Tire is already going to be above and beyond. Why pay for 500 bucks worth of Nokians?? There was a set of Master Craft brand tires that I used a couple of years ago on the WRX. Very cheap. I will have to figure out where I got them from here in town.

Dan
sideways motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #6
sleepy2lazy

I was thinking that the PA2's were too expensive, and i heard somewhat that alot of people use the blizzaks. Since i have AWD, winters or blizzaks shouldn't be much of a problem then. Just kinda afraid of spinning out again. Had a bit of moving trouble that one day last winter when it snowed like crazy.

Thanks alot guys, i really appreciate it.
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #7
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Blizzaks are VERY pricey when compared to the other brands, but the first 55% of the tread will be amazing in the snow, the last 45% is just a regular all-season compound so you're actually getting a lot less tires for your money. Expect 1, 2 at the absolute MAX out of Blizzaks. Other brands of snow tires should yeild you 2 very easily, and can probably go a 3rd w/o problem.
Old 10-26-2005   #8
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

I have had a few sets of Blizzaks, they were super awesome for a few years and then they were just a regular all season. Nothing will beat them when they still have decent tread on them though.

There is a reason why they refuse to sell you only two of them at most tire shops unless you already have a set on your car.

Are they are great bang for the buck? No. Are they the best in pure snow? Yes. Do they wear down fast? Yes. Are they worth the money if you have no worries about spinning out? Up to you.

If money is not an object and you just want a awesome snow tire then I would get the Blizzaks, they actually make a different version of them other than the WS-50 that is more suitable for sports cars.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #9
Jana
Mazda Bitch

I had a good luck with a good all-season tire from Yokohama. I also had a GSX, so you really don't need a "winter" tire. I actually like my yoko's on my eclipse so much that I know have them on my wonderful prizm
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #10
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

If your looking for a set of 17" snow tires. I got a set that came with my new car, have 1 season on them and look brand new. They are high performance snow tires that all the BMW guys use.

I dont know much about them so Ill have to look up how much I want for them.

They are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 225/45/17.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #11
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

The Dunlop Wintersport M3 is also a good choice for a directional performance winter tire at a decent price. I just ordered my Dad a set for his GTO.
Old 10-26-2005   #12
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlizzard
If money is not an object and you just want a awesome snow tire then I would get the Blizzaks, they actually make a different version of them other than the WS-50 that is more suitable for sports cars.
The LM-22 is the performance option. But definitely expect almost 50% increase in cost per tire.

Like I said earlier, my Winterforce tires still look brand new after running them all last winter. I lost 2/32" on the right rear and maybe 1/32" on the left rear.

If you want snow/ice tires find out how much you are willing to spend and go from there.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote