PDA

View Full Version : removal of monuments from government property

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

SlowWhite
07-01-2015, 03:27 PM
So with the removal of the ten commandments monument from a government property.

And the removal of the confederate flag about to happen because it reminds people of a time of hate and slavery.

The topic of the monument to honor slaves that is on the backside of the state house where the confederate flag is to be removed, has now come up that, that monument should be removed as well.

Thoughts?

Kracka
07-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Might as well tear down museums and burn the history books while we're at it.

SlowWhite
07-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Might as well tear down museums and burn the history books while we're at it.

Thats is pretty much how I feel about it.

I live in the oldest inland city in south carolina. There was Charlestown then camden.

And with in two miles of my house there are probably 30 monuments to history, all at governments run parks.
most of which is from the civil war since several battles took place here as well as revolutionary monuments.

Cornwallis' s house that he used as his head quarters is even in this town and they do reenactments every year there. A house the Lincoln's sister owned is in this town.

I can see this getting ugly real quick, where is the line going to be drawn. No matter what we do you can't please everyone.

A//// Guy
07-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Im really surprised dollar bills still say In God we Trust. No other comments.

Kracka
07-01-2015, 04:09 PM
I can see this getting ugly real quick, where is the line going to be drawn. No matter what we do you can't please everyone.
As long as we (meaning the government, politicians, media, and general public) keep giving in to those who are continually offended, they'll just keep coming up with more and more absurd things to get offended about. It'll never be enough, they'll always want more. As the old saying goes, "Give an inch and they'll take a mile."

1ViciousGSX
07-01-2015, 04:21 PM
We are witnessing the "white washing" and "sanitization" of America. This is only the start.

jeremy1375
07-01-2015, 05:24 PM
So the consensus for those participating in this thread so far is a dislike of what is happening with the removal of monuments from government buildings.

If you'd rather have these items stay, would you be okay with things being added? What if some Buddhist group did something noteworthy for a state. Would it be okay then to put a Buddha statue in a government building?

1ViciousGSX
07-01-2015, 05:46 PM
If you'd rather have these items stay, would you be okay with things being added? What if some Buddhist group did something noteworthy for a state. Would it be okay then to put a Buddha statue in a government building?

No words describe how rediculous ^^^ this ^^^ is.

Trogdor
07-01-2015, 05:56 PM
As I recall, the founding fathers of this country left England because of the tyrannical rule of the King. A king which was being heavily influenced by the church.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." means a) the government can't prohibited the the practice of religion. And b) it may not promote any one specific religion. This country was build on a foundation of religious freedom, we are not to be governed by one.

Having a giant 10 commandments monument at the capitol sure feels an awful lot like the government endorsing one specific religion.

SlowWhite
07-01-2015, 06:10 PM
As I recall, the founding fathers of this country left England because of the tyrannical rule of the King. A king which was being heavily influenced by the church.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." means a) the government can't prohibited the the practice of religion. And b) it may not promote any one specific religion. This country was build on a foundation of religious freedom, we are not to be governed by one.

Having a giant 10 commandments monument at the capitol sure feels an awful lot like the government endorsing one specific religion.

I can agree with that.