PDA

View Full Version : removal of monuments from government property

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

1ViciousGSX
07-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Ten commandments = Christian beliefs. If they are okay, then Buddhist precepts are also okay as well as Muslim laws. Since those who think the Christian beliefs are okay, but nothing else is okay, then a state of intolerance exists.

Ah, but the difference is that the Buddhist didn't found this country using Buddhist beliefs, nor was it Muslims using Sharia law. Christians did using Christian beliefs, they are our history and there is nothing wrong with that. Did they not teach you that in school? That's why when you go to India, you see Buddhist beliefs, not Christian beliefs. So by your way of thinking, India should take down the Buddhist temples so as to not offend migrant Christians? And there is no state of intolerance, that's made up leftist garb. You are free to practice any religion you like without government interference.

jeremy1375
07-02-2015, 03:31 PM
For the sake of argument, let's say America was founded on Christian beliefs. There are currently and historically a significant number of people with other beliefs that are citizens. They are all part of the history of America. Are you saying early history trumps recent history?

1ViciousGSX
07-02-2015, 03:39 PM
No. What I'm saying is that America's history is what it is. Early history vs Recent history, what does that even mean? Nothing recent has anything to do with the founding of this country and it's ideals. And that's what those monuments and plagues and statues are all about.

jeremy1375
07-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Okay, if America actually was founded on Christian values, that would be a fair argument. I personally don't believe it was founded on Christian values and was taught that in church, but not in school.

The 1797 Treaty of Tripoli says this “As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen.....

It was signed off by President John Adams in 1797 and ratified unanimously by the senate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

1ViciousGSX
07-02-2015, 04:01 PM
I didn't say the country was founded on the Christian religion, I said Christian values and there is a difference. The founders thought highly enough of what Christianity stood for to use those values as guiding principles.

SlowWhite
07-02-2015, 04:11 PM
http://www.politicususa.com/2015/06/30/republicans-crushed-oklahoma-supreme-court-rules-10-commandments-monument.html
The law was very clear on the fact that it should be removed. this is oklahomas law.

But did the gov. Pay for it?

I know several of the monuments here were privately donated.

SlowWhite
07-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Well buddhism is one thing. But would you agree with putting a statue of Satan, for the satanic churches? Or how about a monument to Xenu, the overlord in scientologies

Satan crap - resounding hell no I would be "offended". But that's because I dont agree with whay he stands for. And that also goes for religions that preach hate. And promote killings.

Scientology - i dont know anything about it other then the big bang theory is what i always thought that is what they believe. And the answer to that would be yes, but since we are taking all religion out of our gov.

Then put this stuff in museums or a dedicated building.

SlowWhite
07-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Edit - it double posted

SlowWhite
07-02-2015, 04:32 PM
How do our bills look like 3rd world countries lol...

I guess I was the only lucky one to travel as a child all over the world.

And yes our bills look just like what poverished countries I have traveled to. Money looked like back then

jeremy1375
07-02-2015, 04:33 PM
I didn't say the country was founded on the Christian religion, I said Christian values and there is a difference. The founders thought highly enough of what Christianity stood for to use those values as guiding principles.

I'm not quite sure I see the distinction. What values are we founded on that are Christian?