MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 04-30-2006   #1
jd1828

Send a message via AIM to jd1828
CV shaft is stuck in the hub

I need to change the rear hub but I cant get the axle out of it. Its rusted and stuck in the hub. Ive tried heating it with a torch and hitting it with a 10lb hammer and it wont move at all.

I was planning on just cutting the axle out with a torch and getting a new one, but they look like they are hard to come by. Im looking for any ideas on how to get the axle out with out breaking it or Im looking for a used axle for a 96 awd talon if anyone has one.
jd1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #2
tim

Re: CV shaft is stuck in the hub

The best thing I can say to do is what you already did. I would suggest leaving the nut on the end of the shaft though so you dont mash the threads.

Maybe soak it with some PB Blaster for a night or something too.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #3
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

I dont know if you can but if you can put a puller on it. I put a puller on my front shafts then tightend it then hit with hammer then tighter then hit... also I soaked it with PB too.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #4
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle

Soak it with massive amounts of WD-40 over night. Give it a try the next day and if it's not good to go, resort to the more riskey methods such as beating the life of it with a hammer.

If you mash up the threads try using a dye to fix it and if that doesn't work, get shopping for a new one! People part out cars frequently.

I can't remember exactly how the rear suspension is setup in a 2g but make sure you take out the bolts before you bash the shit out of anything. If it's like a 1g, it will have a few bolts on the hub assembly on the back side. These are a PITA to get off.

Last edited by Pimpin Dsmstyle; 05-01-2006 at 12:12 AM..
Pimpin Dsmstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #5
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer

My drivers front CV wouldn't come out for the life of me. I started out like I normally do with a little bit of heat and then hit the end of it with the nut on with a hammer. Didn't work. Tried it again, with oil this time. No go. sprayed a bunch of knockerloose on and let it sit for a bit and tried again, no go.then, i took a 20lb sledge to it, with medium hits, no go. Heated the fuck out of it, oiled it, and took off the nut and smashed the shit out of it with a hammer probably 100 times and it didn't budge. The back of the CV joint popped off and broke the CV on one of the swings.

At this point I figured I'd be buying a new spindle anways, so I hit it as hard as I possibly could 20 or 30 times, and the damn thing wouldn't move. It was mushroomed out about 1.5 inches larger then normal. Pretty fun.

If yours is anything like mine, good luck to you.

But in all honesty, I would go buy and actual rust penetrant, NOT WD40. WD40 works about 10 percent as good as an actual rust penetrant. If you must get it out, thats your second best option.

Your best option is finding someone with an oxy-acetylene torch and some 5w20 motor oil. Heat the fuck out of the hub around it, and then drop oil on it, repeat about 5 times, and then it should come out easily.

Last edited by dumb_ricer; 05-01-2006 at 12:35 AM..
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #6
GVR-4579

Send a message via AIM to GVR-4579

yea i would go with the puller/pusher hammer, mixed with lots of wd-40 method i think its the safest personally. if that doesnt work then i would goto heating as well as the puller and hammer but i dont like to heat bearings up too much. if you can't get a puller i can always custom fab one, but custom pullers get spendy and only work for one thing usually

and maybe you could rig a slide hammer on there somehow, i like those too, but im not sure if that will work well for this
GVR-4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #7
jd1828

Its pretty stuck. I was swinging the sledge hammer like a baseball bat. Im just going to look for a new one and Ill probably have to cut the old cv shaft out with a torch.
Old 05-01-2006   #8
LaunchHard

That happened to me, and i made the retard mistake of mashing the threads, so then the nut wouldn't threasd back on. I just bought a new CV shaft, only cost 30 bucks.
LaunchHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #9
jd1828

Is there any chance that I can use the joint on a new front cv shaft to build a new rear one. Ill just have to cut the part that goes through the hub with the spines on it. Does anyone know if the front and rear parts are the same?