MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 02-23-2006   #1
stcloudgsx

Send a message via AIM to stcloudgsx Send a message via MSN to stcloudgsx
Crank angle sensor

I've got a '94 gsx and I was driving down the street and my car completely shuts off. It won't start or even attempt to. On the logger it says 22: crank angle sensor. I'm assuming that means cam angle sensor since 1g's don't have crank sensors or so I've been told. Does it need to be replaced or is there something else to check first. I have one sitting at my house but that's about 2 1/2 hours from st. cloud. thanks
Anthony
stcloudgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #2
tim

Re: Crank angle sensor

The factory service manual tells you how to test it. If you dont have one now would be the time to pick one up. I guess I would start by making sure the connection is good and testing it to make sure it is good. Maybe try another one and see if the problem goes away.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #3
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Directly from the '90-'94 Haynes Repair Manual:
Page 6-19

Camshaft position Sensor

Check
-Disconnect the electrical connector for the camshaft position sensor, turn the ignition key ON (engine not running) and measure the supply voltage on terminal number 3. It should be approximately 12 volts.
-Turn the ignition key ON (engine not running) and check terminal number 1 on the harness side for signal voltage. It should be 4.8-5.2 volts.
-Check the ground circuit for continuity using terminal number 4.
-If the camshaft position sensor circuit tests check out OK, replace the sensor with a new part.

Crankshaft position sensor
Check
-Disconnect the harness connector for the camshaft position sensor, turn the ignition key ON (engine not running) and measure the supply voltage on terminal number 3. It should be approximately 12 volts (B+).
>>What's B+ mean?
-Turni the ignition key ON (engine not running) and check terminal number 2 on the harness side for signal voltage. It should be 4.8-2.5 volts.
-Check the ground circuit for continuity using terminal number 4.
-If the crankshaft position sensor circuit tests are correct, replace the sensor with a new part.

As Tim said, if you do not have a factory, Haynes, and/or Chilton's, it's time to make an investment.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing

Last edited by Jakey; 02-23-2006 at 08:19 PM..
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #4
stcloudgsx

Send a message via AIM to stcloudgsx Send a message via MSN to stcloudgsx

thanks for the info everyone. I have one it just happens to be 3 hours away in Austin, mn. Has anyone ever had this problem where it just fails all of the sudden wiht no warning.
stcloudgsx is offline   Reply With Quote