MidwestDSM.com has a nice ring to it. 7 11.29%
It's a toss up and I am good with either. 9 14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2004   #1
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
The Future of DSMStyle.com Please read and Comment/Vote

Well everyone who has really been involved with making this site what it is for the most part knows me and knows DSMStyle.com has always been something I have been proud of. It's a passion I have had for a few years now and think I will for a long time down the road. I have though about just giving it up several times, and just getting 100% out of cars. Would make for a simple life, no? But it's just not me, and not what I plan to do.

DSMStyle.com has come a long way. Many people have had a chance to make some really good friends due to this site. Myself included. Many people who don't even have DSMs anymore frequesnt this site.

But I think maybe the time has come for the biggest change ever suggested for DSMStyle.com and that is the name. I have recently purchased the domain www.midwestdsm.com. The only thing I have it for is to just sit there and point to this site. To maybe draw more members from the midwest in. But Before I go changing anything to the main name of this site, I figured I would come here and ask for honest opinions of those who have been though everything here and have stood by DSMStyle.com over the past few years. I also want to hear from the new members that have signed up as new as yesterday and see what their views on it are. I think it's only fair that the members of this site get their voices out there before anything is changed.

So please come on out and speak your mind. Be honest in what you have to say. It in no way will be held against anyone for any reason. Please keep on subject, and please keep all meaningless off subject banter out of this thread.

Out of simple respect please take this thread serious for once and give it a bit of your attention. I like to think after everything DSMStyle.com deserves that minimal bit of respect for once.

So DSMers or not, speak up and let your voice out. This is your time.

DSMStyle.com or MidwestDSM.com?

Thanks,

Allan

DSMStyle.com Owner since April 2nd 2001.
Old 12-15-2004   #2
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Re: The Future of DSMStyle.com Please read and Comment/Vote

My vote goes 900% towards staying with DSMStyle.com. I believe the MidwestDSM.com is way too generic. Take a look at the vast majority of the other DSM clubs/groups out there, Quad Cities DSM, Southeast DSM, Rocky Mountain DSM (not quite as generic), etc. DSMStyle.com is one of the few regional DSM clubs that is a truly unique name. I firmly believe that is what makes this place something special versus so many of the other generic clubs out there. I also believe that by leaving DSMStyle.com and moving to MidwestDSM.com would lose a great deal a respect from people as there are generic regional automotive based websites consistently popping up that are about as worthless as a website can get. DSMStyle.com is a known name all across the DSM community, not just on this board. 'Style' is a name that is also recognized by DSM'ers. When speaking with Jacek about something related to the site we refer to it as 'Style' and as far as I am concerned I will always refer to it as 'Style.'

I should also mention that I do not honestly see a point in pushing hard to recruit more members from across the Midwest. It would be great to expand the DSMStyle.com horizon but let people come naturally, I don't see a purpose in specifically recruiting. Get a couple of other shops on board and they will bring members with them. Bigger is definitely not better although. I spend a lot of time reading on Tuners but it is way too evident that priceless knowledge is going to waste on there because of there being simply too members. I can think of two 'Wiseman' on Tuners who used to be very active but are no longer because people's bullshit pissed them off on too many occasions.

Think of the movie Field of Dreams when the 'Voice' says to Kevin Costner, "If you build it, he will come." Allan, you have built this website from the ground up and like the 'Voice,' "You have built it, they will come.'

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing

Last edited by Jakey; 12-16-2004 at 08:22 AM..
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #3
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

I vote for not changing. DSMStyle.com is what it is today because not only have you wanted it to be this way but you've allowed us members to help make it this way it is as well. The name has a certain ring to it and even local car people who don't even own DSMs know of this site or the "club".

Reaching out and opening the doors to the rest of the DSMers in the midwest is an excellent idea and I look forward to meeting new people, but changing the name won't help accomplish that.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #4
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

I vote to stay Dsmstyle.com because i have dsmstyle stickers on my car and i really dont want to have to change them. LOL JK I do however feel like what matt says, dsmstyle is known and has credit beyond just the name. We have the fastest dsms in the country on this site and people know that Tuners sucks, mndsm is a yahoo group that is hard to keep up with, NABR sucks in my opinion just because im not fast enough to get it but im sure it would be cool if i could be in. Keep the midwestdsm.com pointing to this site to get more members but dont do a full change.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #5
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I know AJ is looking to broaden the site. To do this I think it would help to change the name. I am pretty split though, when a site gets too big it loses the feeling of family. Last year I probably knew 80% of the people on here personally, it is already down to 50% (for regulars). If we get too big I don't think it will be the local hangout anymore. It would be nice to get bigger and have some kick ass gatherings though. There are good and bad points to it. In the end, it is your site Allan, head it in the direction you want.

JET

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Midwest!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #7
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

dsmstyle, this is by far my fave dsm board. 1) because i know most of the big wigs 2) the retard count is pretty low

sometimes i go read tooners and talk and even the nabr board, and they i cry. i like this site the way it is!
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #8
Khadgar
Can't Actually Wrench

Send a message via AIM to Khadgar

Yeh, I like the name dsmstyle a lot better, I like the idea about expanding but I think that definately keeping the group sorta tight knit is important, I dont think I could ever keep up with everything on tuners and talk like I can on style and it has ended up being the one site I visit most online.
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #9
Raptor
ConArtist

I vote stick with the name as is. I would not have found the site with the new name. I did searches for anything starting with DSM originally. I also think that the name has earned some recognition and changing it will lose that.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #10
JDM
None

AMG Drift Competition Champion!
Drives: A car
Send a message via MSN to JDM

Just add a "National" or seperate "Regional" boards. www.neweclipse.org does that, and it seems to work well... Most local 3g guys are from the Normal ILL area...

Make the Parking Lot a private area if you want to keep the family feel. Everyone allowed to play games is allowed in the Parking Lot.

National imput on problems would probably only benefit those involved... giving it a national name, and keeping a local area for us to BS seems to be a decent proposal for both problems...

Just my two cents.
Old 12-16-2004   #11
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD

If I wanted to go to a broader ranging site with hundreds and hundreds of DSMers from various areas, I'd go to tuners.....which I guess is why I dont get on tuners anymore.

Just my thoughts. I come here because I know a large portion of the members.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #12
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVD
I come here because I know a large portion of the members.
Agreed, if this site became like Talk or Tooners the site would deffinately lose that personal feel it has right now. Leave well-enough alone I do suppose, the site has already gotten fairly large considering.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #13
dsm95gsxer

I think it should stay DSMSTYLE, I like it because its not as impersonal as the national sites. I have a better chance to make some new friends if its a local thing.
dsm95gsxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #14
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

I have a feeling pretty soon that your car will be covered in decals and the dsmstyle one wont even stick out. Have you looked at the fast and furious eclipse decals on ebay? If they are still there anymore. As far as the name, I couldn't care less. A site is a site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX
I vote to stay Dsmstyle.com because i have dsmstyle stickers on my car and i really dont want to have to change them. LOL JK I do however feel like what matt says, dsmstyle is known and has credit beyond just the name. We have the fastest dsms in the country on this site and people know that Tuners sucks, mndsm is a yahoo group that is hard to keep up with, NABR sucks in my opinion just because im not fast enough to get it but im sure it would be cool if i could be in. Keep the midwestdsm.com pointing to this site to get more members but dont do a full change.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #15
IndiEP
Tha MIG Masta!

I couldn't agree w/CVD more. I only go to tooners if I need to search for something, otherwise I'm here because I know people and whats going on in their lives. I don't think expanding the site is a bad thing but I think a generic reginal name isn't going to hold the repuatation/personality that "style" has.

What are your goals for the site Allen?
Old 12-16-2004   #16
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes

i agree to keep the name. but it don't matter to me really.. i am all burned out on internet anyways..

-E
Old 12-16-2004   #17
Raptor
ConArtist

On one other note, DSMStyle isn't specific to any one state or region, thinking that switching to Midwest whatever will expand our range may backfire. It actually limits membership more than the current name. And you don't need a different name to get more members anyway. The biggest boards in the country don't have regional specific names. Actually our name is DSMspecific and it still doesnt' keep mustang and honduh owners from joining. Keep the name we have, it would likely do more damage than good switching it.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #18
Jana
Mazda Bitch

I'm surprised with the number of member's who have voted to keep it the same.

I guess to me it doesn't matter, I do like the sound of MidwestDSM, but I've always loved DSMStyle. I would definately like to see the site grow, but not too large either. I pretty much so agree with most everything that has been said already.
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #19
1ViciousGSX
Admin

I like DSMStyle for the fact that it doesn't make the site have a local or regional feeling to it. MidwestDSM sounds just like that, "If you are not from the midwest, this is not for you" kind of feel. Think "Global", even though in reality that's not really possible, you want everybody to seem welcome here.

I know I've contributed alot to the site in one way or another, and from many states away. But when I found this site originally, I would have thought it was more of a local club with members who were all from the same area if it were named something that specified a region or town or area.

If it's more just in having a name change for the sake of change, there are plenty to choose from. Here are a few to think about;

DSMinence.com
DSMeminence.com
DSMDominance.com
DSMPowerHouse.com
WellHungPerformance.com "We'll show you why the girls like DSM's the best"

Personally, I like it the way it is. Everytime the site changes, it's like starting over again. Name recognition is the name of the game.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #20
carltalon

Drives: 98 Eclipse GSX Auto
Send a message via AIM to carltalon Send a message via Yahoo to carltalon

I vote to keep it the same.
carltalon is offline   Reply With Quote