MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2014   #3161
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Depends, I guess, since most other gaskets are "single use."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3162
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
The orange/brown ones require an OEM gasket on either side of it to seal properly; I do not like this design as it is more prone to leaking. The white ones do not require a gasket as they have a slight amount of squish to them (these are what I've used and recommend). I know people will claim otherwise, but I consider these to be single-use only like most other types of gaskets.
I have the white one. It's the one MAP makes for our cars. I have had it since my fp black build. So its been reused several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspaz View Post
Depends, I guess, since most other gaskets are "single use."
Yep, I am guessing I should've replaced this gasket I will get a new OEM one this week and put it on this weekend. I trust the OEM one to seal properly vs one of those I guess.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3163
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Get a new white one, reusing it that many times is your problem. They work well. I had one on my IX and X.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3164
Murlo26

Quote:
Get a new white one, reusing it that many times is your problem. They work well. I had one on my IX and X.
My buddy said those plastic ones can have sealing issues and said the OEM one is the safe bet.

Looks like MAP doesn't even make theirs anymore, at least its not on their site. And they only show the Boomba one which is 85 bucks.

http://www.maperformance.com/boomba-...shi-evo-x.html

Not sure what the hell all those bolts and that other piece are for pictured here...

Seems safter to go with this:

http://www.maperformance.com/oem-int...ion-evo-x.html

Is there a reason that it's not a good idea to do OEM?
Old 07-21-2014   #3165
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

They're about $20, you just have to ask for one. Bill always knows what people are talking about when I refer them.

People say a lot of things, 99% of which have never actually touched the product...I use/recommend/trust things I've actually had good experiences with.

Your car so it's your call, but it sounds like you've had good luck with it thus-far, if anything, it went beyond expectations since you reused it multiple times! OEM is never a bad idea, it just leaves room for improvement on the table.
Old 07-21-2014   #3166
Murlo26

Quote:
They're about $20, you just have to ask for one. Bill always knows what people are talking about when I refer them.

People say a lot of things, 99% of which have never actually touched the product...I use/recommend/trust things I've actually had good experiences with.

Your car so it's your call, but it sounds like you've had good luck with it thus-far, if anything, it went beyond expectations since you reused it multiple times! OEM is never a bad idea, it just leaves room for improvement on the table.
No I hear ya.

I just don't want to have to pull the intake mani apart again after I do it this week/weekend.

Especially since my buddy who is a mechanic for infiniti is helping and he recommended OEM. SO if I don't go OEM, he helps and it leaks still, he will kick me in the nuts lol.

I am fighting internally, as I don't want to leave power on the table but I just want it to work.
Old 07-21-2014   #3167
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Simple: See what's in-stock immediately available for wrenching this week

One side-note: Sometimes when manifolds get ported they slightly warp due to heat and the flange face isn't as true as it was from the factory; the white gasket allow for more squish than the OEM gasket does. Cobb had this issue with a ported IM (MAP Rev2) and the OEM gasket wouldn't seal it.
Old 07-21-2014   #3168
Murlo26

Quote:
Simple: See what's in-stock immediately available for wrenching this week

One side-note: Sometimes when manifolds get ported they slightly warp due to heat and the flange face isn't as true as it was from the factory; the white gasket allow for more squish than the OEM gasket does. Cobb had this issue with a ported IM (MAP Rev2) and the OEM gasket wouldn't seal it.
Well that was my thoughts as to why the leak is there, because I got a MAP rev3 since last time it was isntalled. So I assumed the white gasket I had was formed to the OEM manifold and after the porting, the surface changed slightly and it wouldn't seal.

If they have the white one in stock I will go for that I suppose. It's not the end of the world to do the IM twice I guess. And if it has more "squish" than OEM, that is probably a good thing.
Old 07-21-2014   #3169
Murlo26

Map doesn't make theirs anymore. But they sell this which I bought:

http://www.maperformance.com/gizzmo-...o-x-g6039.html

Bill said it was basically the same thing. Almost looks like this is what MAP maybe rebranded for theirs. Anyway, gasket and battery ordered (got the odyssey 680 instead of the 925 this time as its cheaper and lighter). My battery actually tested good at my buddies dealership but just didn't seem to want to start the car so not sure what gives. The car started fine when i left the charger on there though.

If this battery doesn't last I am going to put a normal one back in there or start checking my grounds as something has to be up with it.
Old 07-21-2014   #3170
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I had good luck with the STM battery kit I put in my car. Pretty nice for $150 shipped (battery, bracket, hardware, etc.).
Old 07-21-2014   #3171
Murlo26

Quote:
I had good luck with the STM battery kit I put in my car. Pretty nice for $150 shipped (battery, bracket, hardware, etc.).
I have all the hardware for the PC680. I have the AMS battery kit, just need a new battery and the PC680 should work the same.

Thanks though for the recommend
Old 07-21-2014   #3172
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Why not test that battery in your other car or in some other application, if it checks out on a tester? Id do that before ordering another expensive battery.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3173
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

I will run nothing but these batteies: check out the site.. expensive but they out perform anything you can get, and last forever. http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...ries-ytx12-20/
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3174
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Order it up, that is badass!
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3175
Murlo26

That battery is too much Shawn, I would love to get it but I am tapped for car money. I just want to drive the damn thing. I went with the PC680 as they are relatively proven.

The guy who tested my other battery said its sadly very common that the tester shows it good but they still have to replace batteries to fix them. He saw it in action and agreed a new battery was in order, so I just ordered it as I just want to drive the car.
Old 07-21-2014   #3176
simulatedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
That battery is too much Shawn, I would love to get it but I am tapped for car money. I just want to drive the damn thing. I went with the PC680 as they are relatively proven.

The guy who tested my other battery said its sadly very common that the tester shows it good but they still have to replace batteries to fix them. He saw it in action and agreed a new battery was in order, so I just ordered it as I just want to drive the car.
Ok.. I going to introduce some logic.. and it will blow you mind, is this your 3rd small battery @ 160 bucks a crack? Lets say you buy one anti gravity battery, you are still way ahead. You can get the smaller one @ $289. I Just went with the 600 Cranking amps, no this is not same old CCA which tends to be way overrated. But 600 cranking amps for 10 seconds or more which is insane.
Old 07-21-2014   #3177
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I'm about to drop it on you bitches.
Walmart battery - $60-120 bam!!!
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3178
simulatedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
I'm about to drop it on you bitches.
Walmart battery - $60-120 bam!!!
I will see your walmart suggestion and offer him my good OEM battery for free.. Yes Murlo free..
Old 07-21-2014   #3179
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Ok.. I going to introduce some logic.. and it will blow you mind, is this your 3rd small battery @ 160 bucks a crack? Lets say you buy one anti gravity battery, you are still way ahead. You can get the smaller one @ $289. I Just went with the 600 Cranking amps, no this is not same old CCA which tends to be way overrated. But 600 cranking amps for 10 seconds or more which is insane.
technically, yes this is my 3rd lol.

I know what you are saying but I think I cooked the other two myself, no one else has these issues. Actually this is my 4th

I had the original one that came with the AMS kit, that one died pretty quick sitting in my garage through winter. So I bought another which never actually died, fully, but shows the same symptoms of my current battery. I left that one on my trickle charger through winter in my basement, same as I did with my current battery and they worked but not great and had trouble starting so I bought my current problem one last spring after the car was struggling to start. So I am guessing the last two were worn down my my trickle charger not working right.

I know A LOT of evo guys that run this PC680 that never seem to have issues like I do, so I was just assuming improper storage and charging on my end here.

I was going to buy a lithium one but didn't want to shell out that much. But you are right if the cause of those batteries failing wasn't by me or my charger, then I am throwing money away. But the symptoms of the batteries and my process pointed towards me being the culprit aka user error.

If this one bites the dust I will sack up next year and buy a lithium one. But I just feel like it was my storage of the battery that killed it.
Old 07-21-2014   #3180
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
I will see your walmart suggestion and offer him my good OEM battery for free.. Yes Murlo free..
LOL, if this one doesn't work, then I will come grab your OEM one

But the battery is already bought and on the way. If the new one has issues then it is something else causing it not battery related and I will dig into that and sell my other battery or one of them.

It seemed like it had a dead cell though so guessing a new battery will work better.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.