MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-16-2012   #1
DavidPHumes

Drives: Turbo LSx FC RX-7
Crankcase ventilation

Hey guys,

I am having an issue with my car that I think is the result of insufficient crankcase ventilation (it's a 2.4L with a FP GT3582R).

My setup is as pictured:

Basically it's just 2 lines, one from the PCV and one from the valve cover to a vented catch can. I'm getting hardly any blow by (driven it 600 miles and only got a teaspoon in the can) but have a lot of pressure in the crank case.

I had to put a spring on my dipstick to prevent it from shooting out (a common issue, I know) and now oil is coming out of the oil fill cap, dripping onto the valve cover and eventually burning off. The result is that I'm burning a noticeable amount of oil from there and not only does it smell, but it worries me that I will run it low (a long shot, I know).

Could my issue be insufficient ventilation? Would -10AN to a catch can be beneficial? What have you all done on a setup like mine? I'm flowing 58lb/min at WOT right now.

I'm very green to DSMs but have a little understanding when it comes to PCV systems.

Thanks.

Last edited by DavidPHumes; 04-16-2012 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Grammar, yo!
DavidPHumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #2
DavidPHumes

Re: Crankcase ventilation

I should mention: although I don't have the normal symptoms (overheating, water in the oil, loss of water, smoke, etc.) I have a gut feeling that my HG is bad (I have had a rubber cap blow off of my lower tstat housing twice but once was because it was dry rotted and the other was because it was a 2 piece cap so it's tough to say why it happened). Can this cause excessive pressure? Compression is 165 across the board cold, 150 warm on all 4.
Old 04-16-2012   #3
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Set it up like stock; breather to the intake pipe and PCV to the intake manifold.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #4
DavidPHumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Set it up like stock; breather to the intake pipe and PCV to the intake manifold.
If that's the answer then why does everyone "over complicate" things and go with the setup I have (albeit usually a "bigger" system overall)? I'm not trying to say you're wrong, just want to know the WHY.

BTW my plugs looked good so I don't *think* excessive blow-by is the culprit either.
Old 04-16-2012   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Everyone thinks they can out-engineer the engineers. From my experience, catch-cans seem to create more problems than they solve. Setting it up like stock always puts a suction on either the crankcase vent or PCV vent which is better than just allowing excessive pressure build up to escape on it's own. If that solution doesn't work, then do the same, only with larger lines. Having a little oil vapor/mist in your intake charge is actually a good thing since it helps keep the BOV and wastegate actuator internals lubricated.
Old 04-16-2012   #6
evotuner

Drives: 2004 Evo 8

^interesting take, i may have to try this out myself

2004 AS Evo VIII - MAP 2.3/FP Green E85 480/450 @30psi #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - Stock Motor/Turbo/E85 388/404 #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - 20K Miles - SOLD

2006 WW IX RS 396/404 - SOLD
evotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #7
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

I had the same issue until I went to a -10an setup, cured my problem of shooting the dipstick out.

You drive a heavily modified dsm with a 2.4 and a gt35 that you plan on daily driving. A heavily modified dsm can make for a good daily, BUT you need to plan on checking things over a lot more often (like your oil level) than you would on a stock civic for example.

I had to keep an eye on my catch can and empty it every once in a while. I also didn't have any baffles in my valve cover either so that probably helped fill the catch can up even faster.
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #8
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Pick up a JCS automation/calan catch can.
Use 2 -10AN lines from VC to can then a single -10 or -12AN to intake, his cans will not leave anything in your intake, I have one and love it.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #9
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

This subject has been beaten to death here a few times. Check out some of the older threads for insight.

FWIW, I agree with the idea of keeping the stock pathway. Although I would consider putting sealed catchcan's in line with them, as well as consider increasing the line size of the one going to the inlet pipe.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #10
Dizmm

Drives: on ICE

for a stock-ish car, run the stock setup.

if your running 400+whp, then its time to create some bigger ports and allow the motor to breathe.
Old 04-16-2012   #11
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

What happened to Kracka vents?
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #12
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

It you have normal ARP head studs and your making decent power at all, then the head is probably lifting.
Old 04-16-2012   #13
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
What happened to Kracka vents?
MAP sells them.
Old 04-17-2012   #14
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

If you want suction in your crankcase, do a slash cut in your exhaust, with a check valve to keep exhaust surges from pushing back into your crankcase. Slash cuts will actually increase in vacuum as boost/load increases, as opposed to intake manifold which will close the PCV valve and give you none. The intake tube port has a similar effect (though not as much) but also will spray discharge into your intake.

You don't need crankcase vapors to lubricate your wastegate actuator and BOV - a lot of the time your crankcase discharges are steamy (water vapor) nasty fluid anyway. Plus your turbo willl almost always spray a finite amount of oil there anyway.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.

Last edited by s1ngletracker; 04-17-2012 at 07:22 AM..
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #15
Dizmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1ngletracker View Post
I

You don't need crankcase vapors to lubricate your wastegate actuator and BOV - a lot of the time your crankcase discharges are steamy (water vapor) nasty fluid anyway. Plus your turbo willl almost always spray a finite amount of oil there anyway.
this is mostly why i chose to vent my catch can rather than route it back into the intake pipe. not much vacuum is created anyways. Big thread on DSMtuners and EvoM about this.

What was in my catch can (mostly water):

(this was my testing valve cover) I did 2 large NTP ports on the end, used a tap, some $2 NTP fittings, and routed them to my catch can. I used to get some blow by smoke and now i get none.

Old 04-17-2012   #16
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

If you use a real catch can, you will have no issues with anything getting back into the intake.

David, search dsmtuners for calan and his catch can and I promise you will be happy with the results. Hell I'm buying another one soon.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #17
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

I have both the PCV and vent open. No catch can, not hooked up to anything, just sitting there. I've had no issue with dipstick blowing out and I don't get any oil out of either vent. Maybe a drop or two after a while. I realize it's not the right way to do it but it hasn't been an issue at all.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #18
Dizmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
If you use a real catch can, you will have no issues with anything getting back into the intake.

David, search dsmtuners for calan and his catch can and I promise you will be happy with the results. Hell I'm buying another one soon.
the other problem you have with doing large crankcase ports routed to a catch can, then routed to the intake, is you will significantly alter the metered are by the MAF. If you are running the stock size port from the valve cover, you can get away with it.

Last edited by Dizmm; 04-17-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Dizmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #19
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1ngletracker View Post
If you want suction in your crankcase, do a slash cut in your exhaust, with a check valve to keep exhaust surges from pushing back into your crankcase. Slash cuts will actually increase in vacuum as boost/load increases
A couple years ago I was interested in this idea. It appeared to gain popularity the Civic and Supra crowd a while back and did net some gains on the dyno. I think I might finally give this a try since my DSM is my experimental tech donkey.

I am thinking 2x -8 fittings and lines within an inline baffle box system, then 2 beefy check valves into opposing slash cut tubes. IIRC, the main issue people were having at the time were the valves getting clogged with coked oil. I am thinking the baffle box could prevent this if done correctly.

Paul, do you have any experience with this in a quasi-race environment?
Old 04-17-2012   #20
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizmm View Post
the other problem you have with doing large crankcase ports routed to a catch can, then routed to the intake, is you will significantly alter the metered are by the MAF. If you are running the stock size port from the valve cover, you can get away with it.
Can you explain this more? Hasn't that air been metered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
A couple years ago I was interested in this idea. It appeared to gain popularity the Civic and Supra crowd a while back and did net some gains on the dyno. I think I might finally give this a try since my DSM is my experimental tech donkey.

I am thinking 2x -8 fittings and lines within an inline baffle box system, then 2 beefy check valves into opposing slash cut tubes. IIRC, the main issue people were having at the time were the valves getting clogged with coked oil. I am thinking the baffle box could prevent this if done correctly.

Paul, do you have any experience with this in a quasi-race environment?
Yeah, I have a slash cut on the chumpcar. This weekend will be the first time it will be run in a race. We had an awful problem with a rapid filling catch can last year, I even posted on here about it, and I got little or no help. I'm much more confident in our new setup, it also has a drainback to go back into the block so we don't have to waste time at pit stops draining it. On a street car draining it is acceptable, on a race car where you need to have ~4 minute pit stops, you want as little to do as possible.

I'll let you know how it goes! In theory it should be ok, but I have some concerns about it, namely the hose I have connected to the slash cut getting too hot.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.

Last edited by s1ngletracker; 04-17-2012 at 05:03 PM..
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote