MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013   #2421
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

^lol, that would be awesome.

Murlo, go buy another now you have a year or so of internet experience behind you!
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2422
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

I should have some new parts today that I will post up pics of when I get them for the Evo, nothing huge but some needed stuff in my mind to polish off the setup. Still too cold to install them in my non heated garage, but can't wait for it to warm up to start wrenching again!

On another note, this was just posted on Evoxforums.

Twinscroll t4 ETS kit, 6466 turbo, ~1.0AR.

Seriously, this spools identical to mine, faster really, makes almost 700whp on 26psi! This on 35psi would be almost 800whp! I know what I am doing if I upgrade....might have to sell my new gun for this shit!
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2423
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL

All the cool kids run a 6466...
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2424
evotuner

Drives: 2004 Evo 8

its never too late to buy another 8/9

2004 AS Evo VIII - MAP 2.3/FP Green E85 480/450 @30psi #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - Stock Motor/Turbo/E85 388/404 #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - 20K Miles - SOLD

2006 WW IX RS 396/404 - SOLD
evotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2425
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Leave it alone!!!

And if you do choose to sell ur gun, make sure I get my acog back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2426
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

That's a fucking beast mode powerband, Dave.

What size motor was that on?
Old 02-01-2013   #2427
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
That's a fucking beast mode powerband, Dave.

What size motor was that on?
Sleeved 2.0L and stock compression, I could be looking at sub 4k spool on my setup. I really really don't want to touch my setup, but this powerband is beast mode for sure, I know of several other people switching to this already now just because of this guys' success. They were having boost holding issues with the twin 38mm wg's as they were the single springs. They are going to try 35psi when they get new springs. No crazy mivec or timing on this either, e85 though.

The guy with this graph is going for the X HP record right now and bringing the car to TX2013 or whatever the texas thing is called.
Old 02-01-2013   #2428
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
Leave it alone!!!
Amen. You will put yourself in the poor house quick trying to keep up with the Jones'. There's always something newer, better, etc coming out. Just focus on perfecting your setup, touching things that you haven't already touched.

What is different on your car that would allow you to reach the same boost level at less RPM than that one?

Edit: Ah just saw in your sig you are 2.2L.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 02-01-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2429
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Amen. You will put yourself in the poor house quick trying to keep up with the Jones'. There's always something newer, better, etc coming out. Just focus on perfecting your setup, touching things that you haven't already touched.

What is different on your car that would allow you to reach the same boost level at less RPM than that one?

Edit: Ah just saw in your sig you are 2.2L.
Yep, 2.2L, from what I have seen the overbore is good for 400-500rpms of spool and making 8-12% more power at the same boost and then even a bit more power at the same boost with bumped compression.

I am not really trying to "keep up" with anyone at all. Just looking at the next step for improving my car. This is a slam dunk if I really want the whole big time turbo setup. But realistically its prolly not going to happen, not this year. Honestly, I just thought it was an AWESOME setup/powerband that got me giddy and wanted to share with everyone. Didn't seem worth making a whole thread for it. I have enough work on my current setup before I move up still.
Old 02-01-2013   #2430
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

That twin scroll 6466 looks nice. I wonder if the 1.0 A/R exhaust housing would choke it at all at higher boost levels.

One thing though, even though it is fully spooled at 4000RPMs, it doesn't look like the motor is able able to due much with the air since the HP and TQ at 4000RPMs are nothing crazy even though it's spooled up.
Old 02-01-2013   #2431
scheides
flips McGee

don't forget to differentiate 'spool' vs 'boost threshold' ....I'm sure it might have a decent boost threshold (4000rpm) but stomping on the gas at 4000rpm will probably be a pretty different experience in your car with the ef4 vs that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2432
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

2.7L, do it!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2433
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

Dont change your set up. Leave the poor car alone and just drive it. If you want to throw money at something. Join halon cornfed and I in build a monster dsm for the track and the street.
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2434
Halon
Pewp Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
One thing though, even though it is fully spooled at 4000RPMs, it doesn't look like the motor is able able to due much with the air since the HP and TQ at 4000RPMs are nothing crazy even though it's spooled up.
This may sound like a newb question, but can anyone explain why this is, in layman's terms?

Guess I'm used to seeing the TQ line at least somewhat resemble the boost line, so this doesn't compute in my head. Usually I'm used to seeing when the boost line starts rising rapidly, so does the TQ line. Then when full boost is reached and the boost line tapers/flattens out, the TQ line isn't to far behind.

I think if I was going after a very fast spooling setup, and I managed to get a setup to spool as quickly as that one does, just to find out on the dyno that even though it spools fast it doesn't matter...

Random evo dyno charts as an example of what makes sense in my head:

Old 02-01-2013   #2435
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

That engine is not efficient at the lower RPM & flow. This could be for many reasons, extremely ported head, really big cams, etc. You can tell it was built for high RPM as the power doesn't fall off at all up top.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2436
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Quote:
This may sound like a newb question, but can anyone explain why this is, in layman's terms?
The motor isn't big enough or efficient enough at that specific rpm to use the air.

People always get all hyped about variable vane turbos, spool valves, or other tricks, so they can have the dream 1000whp turbo that spools at 1500rpms. But even if you get that to happen, it doesn't mean the car will make any power. That dyno chart seems to be a great example. It obviously hits full spool well before it starts making good power. That's not a bad thing, since it's probably decently responsive or at respooling at higher RPMs for a turbo that size. Maybe that Evo has cams and and intake manifold that give up low/mid range power for top end.

But anyways... Here is a helpful way to think about it. First off, a turbo is not like a roots style/positive displacement supercharger. It is not designed to make boost by stacking air and holding it it. A turbo makes boost inside the compressor housing and sends the air on it's way to the intercooler, engine, etc. So when you put a big turbo on a small motor and you get that turbo to spool really fast what happens? You get compressor surge. What is compressor surge? It is when the turbo puts out more air than the engine can take in and the air starts backing up and eventually backs all the way up to the turbo itself which causes the comp wheel to drastically slow down or stop(this is bad and very hard on a turbo). Compressor surge goes away as you go up in the RPMs because engine can finally use all that air. So what does an anti-surge/port shroud compressor housing do? It lets that excess air flow back out into the intake pipe in front of the turbo, so you are essentially just wasting some of the boost/air you worked so hard to build. It is also better to run a non-anti surge compressor housing if you don't need one, they usually make a little better power.

In other words, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 02-01-2013   #2437
Halon
Pewp Champion

So it's an engine thing, not a turbo thing, is what you're saying? The engine is full more or less (air-wise), it can't use or do anything more with any more air at that rpm range.

So with that being said, really any turbo setup would not make more power at that RPM range either, whether it be a stock turbo, EF2, etc. Because this is purely an engine thing, and the PTE is already packing it as full as it can get with air.
Old 02-01-2013   #2438
Murlo26

Quote:
So it's an engine thing, not a turbo thing, is what you're saying? The engine is full more or less (air-wise), it can't use or do anything more with any more air at that rpm range.

So with that being said, really any turbo setup would not make more power at that RPM range either, whether it be a stock turbo, EF2, etc. Because this is purely an engine thing, and the PTE is already packing it as full as it can get with air.
That would make sense I guess as my EF4 could spool by like 3500 with mivec, but it just surged like crazy. I am guessing the PTE turbo's surge ports work a bit better than the EF4 ones which is why spool is so soon on this thing.
Old 02-01-2013   #2439
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

That is awesome, I say do it.
Is there anyone local making good power on a 6466? I haven't seen one outpower a 6266.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #2440
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

You can get a 6266 or 6766 for half the cost of a 6466, so it's probably not going to be that commonly used.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.