MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2013   #2701
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Boost leak test?
What for? You mean to see if fuel pressure regulator is working or something?

I think my regulator is working, it changes fuel pressure when I pull the line to it.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #2702
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Do you have a hose with NPT fittings and you can run the mechanical gauge to the cabin through the hood and window or something? That's what I did when I was having fuel pressure problems in the Cadillac, mechanical gauge through the window.

I went to fastenal and made a 10 foot section of hose with NPT fittings for like $10, it was sweet and in the spirit of DSMs.

Last edited by asshanson; 04-17-2013 at 01:19 PM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #2703
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Almost sounds like your fuel pressure isn't going up with boost too. AFPR is hooked up and working correctly?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #2704
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

You've bypassed the fuel pump relay, correct?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #2705
Murlo26

So I did install the new fuel rail and FIC2150's a bit ago too.

So it could be something with that install, the in tank stuff or something clogged.

Yea, it sounds like fuel pressure isn't rising with boost. This thing feels like it wants to hit hard though lol Can't wait to get it working.

Good news...I scheduled time with MAP on Friday at 9AM to get leaks looked at and fixed then I am going to hit the dyno there I think for some troubleshooting. I was going to try DB since they are closer and try and do it before friday as I was hoping Friday could be a tuning day but I will try and get Jon working on it Friday while I am at MAP. I guess the good news is MAP should have a bunch of parts there if I need to replace or add anything.

Tonight I am going to install my SSP catch can instead of messing with anything else.
Old 04-17-2013   #2706
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
You've bypassed the fuel pump relay, correct?
Pump is hardwired to batt voltage, so yes.
Old 04-17-2013   #2707
timschot

Drives: 2008 Evo GSR

It's not a big deal to pull the pump assembly out with the tank near full. You just spill a little gas on the ground. If you're careful and put a towel or something around it, you won't even do that.

That said, when I ruptured my in-tank line, it wouldn't even start. Mine was completely split in two though, perhaps yours just has a small hole.
ERL sleeved block, MAP rods, Wiseco pistons, MAP EF3, Exedy Twin HD
timschot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #2708
Murlo26

I am not convinced its the in tank line, just something i have to check.

But my car starts HARD for sure. Like it struggles and needs gas pedal action every time.

But that could be tuning still, not sure.

I will get what I can done at MAP Friday. Anyone who wants to join me there let me know, could prolly use some help
Old 04-17-2013   #2709
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Shane, don't suppose there is a chance in hell you guys have an hour or two to help me look at this stuff this week? Tonight even? lol I have friday off for vacation and could stop by too. Just tossing it out there. I haz money to pay
Sorry, I don't have time. I am booked on the dyno and then leaving on Friday at 6am for a race.

Does the car have a Fuel Lab regulator on it? I have had multiple failures with their FPRs and sometimes you can take them apart, then put them back together and they start working again, but I sure wouldn't trust an FPR that fixed itself like that. Your slightly broken fuel line idea makes sense though too, I have had many many cars with a fuel line leak for one reason or anything inside the tank and ran fine until some boost level.
Old 04-18-2013   #2710
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
Sorry, I don't have time. I am booked on the dyno and then leaving on Friday at 6am for a race.

Does the car have a Fuel Lab regulator on it? I have had multiple failures with their FPRs and sometimes you can take them apart, then put them back together and they start working again, but I sure wouldn't trust an FPR that fixed itself like that. Your slightly broken fuel line idea makes sense though too, I have had many many cars with a fuel line leak for one reason or anything inside the tank and ran fine until some boost level.
Nope, AEM regulator.

Good thing MAP has openings I guess, sucks i have to drive a bit further but hopefully Friday is productive. Thanks Shane.

Wow, rough night tonight. Got my SSP catchcan installed. Started at 730, finished at 1am. That included a trip to Orieleys and Autozone for parts to plug my manifold spot that isnt used and also helping knoxville install his strut bar. Also some drinks, so not a terrible install, but kind of a PITA, I hate removing the front bumper.

Few pics:

For whatever reason the car feels WAY smoother now, just from this. I am thinking I had some sort of an issue before, but this feels great now. Maybe I jarred something loose on install, but its feeling better now. Now if only I can figure out my fueling...

Ok, bed now, tired. Tomorrow pull fuel assembly.

edit: Oh, few issues on installing...One, there was no self tapping screw for the ground horn, I improvised. Pictures on install notes could've been more clear. Unless I missed something, I had to trim a plastic piece on the bumper (routes air to oil cooler) quite a bit aside from the necessary one attached to the bumper beam...it was hitting my catch can. Also the catch can needed to push against the AC line quite a bit to get into place. Not sure if that is from a motor install issue or what not but threw it all outta whack. Not huge issues but slowed me down for sure.

Last edited by Murlo26; 04-18-2013 at 02:34 AM..
Old 04-18-2013   #2711
scheides
flips McGee

Looks good! Any chance you had some loose injector clips or something? Do the 2150s fit the stock plugs or do they have adapters? I had a bunch of issues when I got my 1680s but I had gotten them used and didn't have the latest adapters...FIC sent me new ones and no issues since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #2712
Knoxville

Drives: 09 G8 GT

Keep on wrenchin'!

2009 G8 GT
Knoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #2713
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

So what about the coolant/oil mix you reported?
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #2714
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Looks good! Any chance you had some loose injector clips or something? Do the 2150s fit the stock plugs or do they have adapters? I had a bunch of issues when I got my 1680s but I had gotten them used and didn't have the latest adapters...FIC sent me new ones and no issues since.
2150's are plug and play, no adapters. I am wondering if its something with the line from my fuel rail to my AFPR. It's a little bent/kinked now as it was too long since I switched fuel rails. It was setup for stock rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
Keep on wrenchin'!
Indeed, long ass night last night. I am burnt out right now...way too late of a night. I did get Taco Bell on the way home that made me feel good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
So what about the coolant/oil mix you reported?
It is just oil I think. I put a cardboard box under the car while at Knoxvilles (you can kinda see above) and it had maybe 10 drips on it after 6 hours. Oil level is still fine right now so its not significant.

I am heading to MAP friday morning to get it looked at and fixed.
Old 04-18-2013   #2715
Murlo26

I didn't work on the car at all tonight, too cold and can't drive it anywhere. I am hoping the roads are clear enough by mid morning, still going to try to head to MAP tomorrow morning.
Old 04-19-2013   #2716
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I didn't work on the car at all tonight, too cold and can't drive it anywhere. I am hoping the roads are clear enough by mid morning, still going to try to head to MAP tomorrow morning.
The roads weren't too bad on my own way into work this morning so you should be good to go.
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #2717
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Agreed, roads are basically wet.

Almost 6 hrs for a catch can install? god damn.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #2718
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Roads are ok, Side roads/ off ramps / city streets are coated with ice and slick. Main roads are getting better, Id say make the trek now there's very little traffic out there.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #2719
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Agreed, roads are basically wet.

Almost 6 hrs for a catch can install? god damn.
Yes, with a trip to two different stores to get parts and helping out knoxville. It's a gay install.
Old 04-19-2013   #2720
Murlo26

Went to MAP today, was there a good 6-7 hours. They found my oil leak, it was my turbo return oil line, the oring ripped on the part into the block. Problem fixed now! No more oil leak.

We also did some fuel testing today. We pulled my fuel pressure gauge out further on a line and drove, still had pressure. So we strapped it on the dyno and jon VPN'ed in and we played some. The car was starting very hard, barely going. We actually had to put a jumper unit on it. The car fired up and ran great with that on, so we think i have a bad battery and actually think that might be affecting my tune/injectors with low voltage on them.

With the battery jumper connected during a pull we were finally able to get a "full" pull in (only out to like 7300 for starters, not full really). And I am liking what I am seeing. This is with like no tuning still haha.

More to come We couldn't start the pull any lower as down low fuel is really not coming in, MAP tables are still off. So this thing spools fast!

600whp+ at 20psi if I rev it out to my normal redline I think

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.