MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2005   #61
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Re: 50 trim in - lot's of smoke from exhaust

Can you make power on a 7 bolt? Yes.
Will it ever be reliable? No.

Take JET and ecoli's advice and do it right the first time.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 05-10-2005   #62
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D.
Will it ever be reliable? No.
That is false, many people have made good power on the 7-bolts w/o incident. Let the kid do what he wants. Its his money and he's chosen the advice he wants to listen to. Is it right? Maybe. Is it wrong? Maybe. Shindley has spend a lot of time with the car and obviously knows more about it than any of us do.
Old 05-10-2005   #63
howslowcanyougo
Older than Dirt...

Drives: IX EVO MR/SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
2G dataloggers are about as useful as the blinky A/F gauges. He should take the money for the aftermarket rods/pistons and buy something that can log for real like DSMLink.

I agree totaly, you NEED to log knock to properly tune you car without damaging it!

And the ONLY way to really do it right on a 2G is with DSMLINK!

Man you'd be way better off with a descent used 6 bolt and a used DSMLINK than a pre-walked, rebuilt 7 bolt with no knock logger!

If it's just a manner of money, then just save your money till you can do the job right, come'on man, don't walk back into the same damm hole your just trying to crawl out of???

Listen to what about 10 differnet DSM gurus are telling you here on this board < but exclude me as I am not a guru, but I'm just smart enough to listen and learn from these guys>, they are really trying to help you out here!

IMHO

Last edited by howslowcanyougo; 05-10-2005 at 09:29 AM..
Old 05-10-2005   #64
Raptor
ConArtist

This is getting old. Build the 7 bolt if you choose to, remember this thread. Come back and read it over and over after your engine fails. You can ask yourself then why you chose not to listen to the advice given. Then maybe you will realize that the people telling you this know what they are talking about. And yes there are a few in this thread with a lot more mechanic/DSM experience than Mr Shindley, regardless of his age.
Old 05-10-2005   #65
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
2G dataloggers are about as useful as the blinky A/F gauges. He should take the money for the aftermarket rods/pistons and buy something that can log for real like DSMLink.
Thats what I meant

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
Old 05-10-2005   #66
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

Send a message via AIM to BKs50trimGST

just to let you know, even if i got dsm link i wouldn't know how to use it at all, i suck with that kind of stuff, i mean isn't it kind of a hassle using your dsm link everyday? turning on the computer, setting it up, and making sure everything is ok even before you can drive the car?
Old 05-10-2005   #67
Raptor
ConArtist

Get it tuned, take the laptop out of the car and after that beyond logging, it is not necessary to use it again unless you need to change or test something.
Old 05-10-2005   #68
CDeutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
The one thing that I will go toe to toe with anyone on is this, you don't put ARP mains in without align honing period. Bad engine building practice. That alone makes me question what else he doesn't know.
When I first brought my 2.4 block to Steve at Headwerks (over 3 years ago now) I told him I was going with ARP mains and he immediately told me the same thing, so I ended up just using new stock Mitsu mains. Someone needs to come up with a big list of do and don'ts for 4G63/64 rebuilds. Too much money seems to be wasted on bad rebuilds. In fact lets start the list right now with the number one "Don't":
1) Don't build a "built" 7-bolt motor.
Old 05-10-2005   #69
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

Quote:
1) Don't build a "built" 7-bolt motor.
what do you mean by that>?
Old 05-10-2005   #70
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Did you read any of the previous posts?
Old 05-10-2005   #71
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKs50trimGST
what do you mean by that>?
Have you read this thread?!?! That is what every single person in this thread has told you. 3 are from professional shops. Instead you are listening to a unemployed engineer who started working on cars out of his garage to get by.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
Old 05-10-2005   #72
Onefast99gsx

Dude...just get a 6bolt. I'm by no means a professional shop person but i do have a 2g 7bolt GSX. If she ever goes or develops C.W. i'm sure's hell not gonna rebuild it. What's keeping you from just getting a 6 bolt and doing it right? What's tieing you to that 7 bolt so much? You can find 6 bolt blocks for a couple/few hundred bucks or so. And if you do stick with a 7bolt, don't rebuild yours. Somebody here has probably got one laying in their garage for cheap. Buy that until you can get a 6 bolt. If you think you can save alot of money by rebuilding this one, you're mistakenly wrong. By the time you buy rod bearings, cam bearings, gasket kits, honing services, decking and who the hell else know what, you'll have hundreds and hundreds into it. Just going the el cheapo way and throwing a thrust bearing, etc.. in it and putting it back in the car isn't worth the time. Might as well then take the 50 trim off it, put it back to stock and drive it unabused and hope she lasts. I guess it doesn't pay to ask people for advice if you're just gonna do what you wanna do anyway. People wouldn't say to get a 6bolt if they didn't mean it.
Old 05-10-2005   #73
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD

HA! Just fucking forget it guys. This kid obviously doesnt want or need advice, he is looking for reassurance that he wont get. Either that or he is dumber than shit. Let him learn with his wallet if that is what he wants to do.
Old 05-10-2005   #74
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I posted right in this thread where he can get a good cheap 6-bolt; the path is laid out.
Old 05-10-2005   #75
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

ok, u bastards got me, i need to know if anyone has one laying around, i know Kracka has a friend with two and i'm interested, Kracka - i pm'ed you, reply to me if you can. as for the rest of you i'm listening now. happy? this is what i'm going to do, if the 6 bolt that i buy from one of u ise decent i won't rebuild, but most likely i'll rebuild it. tell me what ya'll think.
Old 05-10-2005   #76
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

i would like to buy the engine from one of you very soon, cuz i know shindley is already pissed about having my car at his house without getting work done on it. i would like to get the 6-bolt sometime on saturday, prom is on friday and i can't do it then. reply to this asap or call me and leave me a message - 612-730-5165
Old 05-10-2005   #77
Raptor
ConArtist

If that one falls through, I have about 4 sitting here, Short blocks for rebuilding.
Old 05-10-2005   #78
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Yep, I have a short block that just needs pistons. It wouldn't hurt to check the bearings either, but they should be ok.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
Old 05-10-2005   #79
Onefast99gsx

Hi Jet- For my own knowledge and future. You could use a 7bolt head on a 6 bolt block, correct?? I was gonna get a long block from a guy one time and he had the head disassembled. About 5 or 6 out 16 valve guides were cracked which further changed my mind on doing the project.

And, what do you do as far as the knock sensor goes? I have dsmlink. Is there a place for the knock sensor on a 6 bolt in back of the engine?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005   #80
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

just making sure, i don't need DSM Link correct? cuz you can mod a few things and use parts from your 2g to make it work without having to get DSM Link - i know in the near future i will be getting DSM Link, but for now i know for a fact i can't afford it. what should i expect when i get this car back - i know she'll run good. but as for knocking and detonation and everything, it should be fine without the DSMlink, correct? for all u out there who don't know, i just put an order in for a 6-bolt engine needing rebuilding - ya got me, ok! now i just need help on what to expect when we rebuild this bad motha trucka.
Closed Thread