MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2012   #1841
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

12.6" VIII/IX. I'd have to test fit them on the lathe, first. Still willing to give it a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #1842
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I just replaced my brakes last week with Stoptech Street pads and ATE Super Blue fluid. Skip the SS brake lines, they do nothing but cause problems (fitment, leaks, burting, etc.). I personally had a SS brake line burst on the highway and so did a good friend of mine.

No need to replace your rotors yet, but turning them can't hurt. I personally didn't touch my rotors though.

I HATE brake dust which is why I'll never touch aftermarket Ferodo pads (OEM pads are Ferodo and they dust like crazy, aftermarket Ferodos are even worse). They stop awesome though! I've personally had and liked the Stoptech Streets and RacingBrake ET500's in terms of performance, dust, noise, etc. I've also had Girodisc Junks...I mean Magics...and despised them like the devil due to their non-linear friction coefficient throughout the temp range. Some day I'd like to try the "new" Kevlar EBC Redstuffs...

Last edited by Kracka; 02-17-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #1843
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I just replaced my brakes last week with Stoptech Street pads and ATE Super Blue fluid. Skip the SS brake lines, they do nothing but cause problems (fitment, leaks, burting, etc.). I personally had a SS brake line burst on the highway and so did a good friend of mine.

No need to replace your rotors yet, but turning them can't hurt. I personally didn't touch my rotors though.

I HATE brake dust which is why I'll never touch aftermarket Ferodo pads (OEM pads are Ferodo and they dust like crazy, aftermarket Ferodos are even worse). They stop awesome though! I've personally had and liked the Stoptech Streets and RacingBrake ET500's in terms of performance, dust, noise, etc. I've also had Girodisc Junks...I mean Magics...and despised them like the devil due to their non-linear friction coefficient throughout the temp range. Some day I'd like to try the "new" Kevlar EBC Redstuffs...
Well I actually just ordered several things and was going to post here.

Ordered new OEM serpentine belt, ATE super blue fluid and Ferodo 2500's front/rear pads.

Dust doesn't bother me a ton as my wheel color hides it really well. I also don't drive mine every day so the dust won't build up too fast. I rode in Scheides' car when he had these pads and it stopped pretty damn good from what I remember so I figure they are a good choice. Need something to stop all my power.

I did skip the SS lines for now. I did see you replaced your pads Kracka and was going to ask what you did for your rotors. Maybe I will just leave mine, we will see. Seems easy enough to turn them.

I was also planning to add a RSB as it seems like the "best" cheap mod left I haven't done. I was leaning toward the Whiteline 27mm one but was curious about endlinks? Do I need them?
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #1844
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

We put the Girodisc magic pads on my wife's Evo 8 to try to get rid of squealing and it worked for a couple days and is now squealing worse than ever, we haven't run them at any track events, so I have no idea if they are any good for that, but I doubt it. We had the Stoptech pads on the car at the start of last year, they were an ok street pad, but didn't perform very well on the track. I have been less than happy with the Brembos on my wife's car and some of our customer cars who race with them.
Old 02-17-2012   #1845
scheides
flips McGee

Whiteline + stock endlinks, this should have been in round one of your mods sir :P

Cool on the brakes, should be a fine setup for ya! I know mine have been great for pure street use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #1846
Murlo26

Well after I get some of the parts I have installed I will probably get the whiteline RSB. That sounds like a good bday present to myself in May. I'll wait until then I think.

Two more questions:

Is 1 can of super blue enough to do a brake flush? And does anyone have a good brake bleeder?

I am thinking about this one:

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/M...r-Bleeder.html
Old 02-17-2012   #1847
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

1 can of super blue is good for 2 brake flushes. If you need a brake bleeder, I have mlomker's Motive power bleeder that works just awesome, I can loan to you for the job.

Shane,
As far as track pads go the Hawk HP+ pads worked good for tracks use, they didnt fade most of a 20 minute session on the x and are semi decent for street use. They are however the loudest pad you could ever use on the street. They were recommended by the frozen rotor guys (Team Tubby Butterman for chumpers) and so far I have been satisfied. The frozen rotor guys basically said going a more aggressive pad would be a track only use. So after the HP+ are done, the is x is getting a track only setup with Raybestos ST-43 pads next. Also as far as rotors go, very impressed with the wear on the frozen rotors, still like new after 2 track events, with very little grooving or cracking.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #1848
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

We have run track only pads on the car at the track. We have had a lot of brake judder issues on my wifes car after a couple sessions even with new rotors, new pads, trying different bed-in techniques, etc.
Old 02-18-2012   #1849
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I was also planning to add a RSB as it seems like the "best" cheap mod left I haven't done. I was leaning toward the Whiteline 27mm one but was curious about endlinks? Do I need them?
Stock end-links are fine with the Whiteline and most others; Scheides, Rmondoh, myself, and many others still use them. The only guys that seem to break them are the ones running the ridiculous 32mm Hotchkis.
Old 02-22-2012   #1850
Murlo26

I bought the whiteline swaybar too now. It's too inexpensive to not have such a great mod (from what I hear anyway).

And Shawn, I will prolly take you up on that brake bleeder. Maybe I will pick it up when we screw around with my serpentine belt fix.
Old 02-25-2012   #1851
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

I decided to measure the brake lathe here at work today, and from the centerline of the shaft to the furthest the bits travel is 7 3/4". I'd say that would comfortably cut a 14" rotor.
Quote:
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
Old 02-25-2012   #1852
Murlo26

I talked with my buddy who works at an Infiniti dealer (to see if he could do the rotors for me) and he spoke with a brembo rep and you aren't supposed to turn the brembo rotors.

He asked because on their cars you aren't supposed to either. So I am just going to do pads and fluid I think.

Thanks for checking though bud.
Old 02-25-2012   #1853
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

If you dont turn them I would at less take some fine sand paper and rough them up a bit. Thats what I do works great.
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #1854
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtpeater View Post
If you dont turn them I would at less take some fine sand paper and rough them up a bit. Thats what I do works great.
That's what my buddy said to do, I was probably going to do it.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2012   #1855
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

I turned the Evo brembos and the slotted dba's for the brembos up at orillys
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #1856
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Just because Brembo won't release specs for them and tells you to buy new ones (a brilliant business model, btw) doesn't mean you can't, it just means you shouldn't be stupid about it when you do. I wouldn't turn them more than once, and would refrain from turning them at all if highly abrasive metallic pads were used and will be used again.
Quote:
Old 02-25-2012   #1857
Murlo26

Used stock pads before, this is my first brake change. Switching to Ferodos.

No idea what is best honestly. Kracka didn't do anything to his.
Old 02-26-2012   #1858
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Kracka didn't do anything to his.
Neither did Armando, no issues for either of us. The stock rotors on the WRX are on their 3rd set of brake pads and they've never been resurfaced or even sanded.
Old 02-26-2012   #1859
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

In general, if the rotor isn't warped, I don't turn them ever. If they are groved from aggresive pads, great, the pad will wear to that shape and I have that much more contact area.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #1860
Murlo26

Just gathered everything I need to install soon! Who's in?

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.