MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 05-06-2005   #1
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

Send a message via AIM to BKs50trimGST
2g Lifters - knocking and ticking

i just got my 50 trim installed and picked it up yesterday from shindley, i ripped it a few times last night to see how she felt. Later on that night a ticking/knocking noise was coming from the engine, i called a few people about this problem and they said it was the 2g lifters that are making the noise, the noise happens around 2800 rms and then continues to around 4300rpms. my motor has 105k on the engine, the noise just started happening, can anyone help me with this? i heard that if you have a 1g 7bolt head it won't do this anymore, is that true? because sometime this summer when i install my 1g intake manifold i will be putting on that head. will this solve my knocking/ticking problem. i really hate the noise, that's why i want to find a solution for it. thanks for the help, dsm'er in training. and i did look at all the other forums and couldn't find anything. thanks for the help, again.
BKs50trimGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005   #2
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Re: 2g Lifters - knocking and ticking

You could have just added to your other post about oil burnage and not made a whole new thread to a possibly similar cause.

If you never noticed ticking before then lifters should not be the culprit.

When the car is cold and you start it, is the ticking super loud and then after the oil circulates and the engine warms up for a few minutes, does the ticking get quieter?

You car should have the new revised lifters in it already, as its a 2G, but I think they revised them again in like 99? 1G lifters are even worse for sound.

If it just happened after you were out and about boosting there might be another problem inside your engine. Are you monitoring knock? What kind of boost are you running?? We need details, becuase not all of us know what kind of car, mods etc you have.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005   #3
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

90-98 all use the same lifters.

What kind of oil are you using? I know Zac got tons of lifter-tick when he tried Mobil 1, but it was always silent with Rotella-T.

Last edited by Kracka; 05-06-2005 at 01:31 PM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005   #4
Onefast99gsx

If it didn't do this before and its a new problem, take it back to whomever did the work for you. If you dick with it too much they might not warranty it for you. Or at least let them know and ask them if they will still warranty their work.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005   #5
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

Send a message via AIM to BKs50trimGST

ok i'm running 17 psi right now, the knocking i never heard before even when i put in mobil1, when the car is cold the knocking isn't very noticeable, but when the engine get's warmer it gets louder.
MODS: 50 trim, FMIC and IC piping, Greddy Type S BOV, Dejon intake, o2 housing with dumptube, s-afc, porthane motor mounts, quaife lsd, 3" exhaust system, centerforce dual friction clutch, walbro 195, pte delphi 680cc injectors, palm'n'stein datalogger, boost/EGT gauge.
BKs50trimGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Sounds like my engine when it rod-knocked/crankwalked. You should have your end-play checked.
Old 05-06-2005   #7
sleepy2lazy

I also have this problem. At idle, i can hear the tick tick tick sound from the engine. Driving, i can hear it at times, then at other times it will go away. I was told that it was the lifters too. Bare with me please, but is this bad?
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #8
howslowcanyougo
Older than Dirt...

Drives: IX EVO MR/SE

Big difference between Tick and knock.

Tick that goes away in a few minutes after the motor warms up and is ushaly only a minor/non-issue.

Knock doesn't ushaly just "go away", it just gets worse the longer and harder you run it, like till the motor seizes or throws a rod through the side of your block and ruins the motor!

If you have knock, you basicaly looking at a min of a lower end rebuild, and should get it in to get it done asap or you'll end up just loosing it all.

I thought my 2G might have had knock cause the "ticking" was pretty LOUD kinda like a knock, but it just was a exhaust manifold leak, so I got lucky.

Might want to just baby that car into a good shop like QPR and have Mike take a look at it ASAP before she just "let's go", and your block is totaly wrecked man!

<Oh wait, it's another 7 bolt POS like my motor right? Might as well just "let her go" then and start from scratch with a 2.4>

IMHO.......

Last edited by howslowcanyougo; 05-07-2005 at 12:05 PM..
howslowcanyougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #9
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kracka
90-98 all use the same lifters.
Actually 90's had their own lifters (1g), the 91-96 had 2g lifters, 97+ had 3g lifters, now the Evo8 lifters can be retrofit into our cars and are 4g lifters. They are just like 3g's, but have larger side holes also.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #10
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET
Actually 90's had their own lifters (1g), the 91-96 had 2g lifters, 97+ had 3g lifters, now the Evo8 lifters can be retrofit into our cars and are 4g lifters. They are just like 3g's, but have larger side holes also.
97-98 cars do not have the same lifters as 99 cars. I have seem them both side-by-side first hand.
Old 05-07-2005   #11
Raptor
ConArtist

Chris is right on that, the 3G style HLAs I have only seen come on the 99s and not all of them. I think it may have been a mid year change. Someone that has that documented somewhere could chime in on this but I am pretty sure of it.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #12
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

Lifter tick usually starts at an idle RPM and will go away as you raise in RPM (probly around 2500 or so. If it is until 4k, I would say it is not your problem.
--this is John (carlos)--

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote