MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 02-28-2013   #41
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson
Re: How many miles before getting a tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS_DAN View Post
If MAP built your car and then tuned it, they *should have* changed the oil after the initial break-in and tuning.
It's not tuned, this thread is about how many miles to put on the car before tuning. Looks like he is bringing it to DB after initial break-in.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #42
Perkul8r

Drives: 91 GVR4

I am glad he is asking about this cause I was a little worried on mine car too. Bad thing is i dont have a tuner anywhere near me. And I would love to have MAP or DB do it, but thats at least a 10 hour drive just to them. So hopefully the tune on my DSM Link chip will be enough for a little while.
Old 02-28-2013   #43
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

Quote:
I should back up and ask where you're at in the process. Did MAP A)rebuild your engine and you installed it, B)they rebuilt and installed it, or C)they rebuilt, installed, and street tuned it?
Map built my shortblock, cylinder head express built my head, I assembled the long block, and pushit2.0 degreed my cams. Then I installed the engine. It is running on a partial tune from last year that makes it driveable but I can't beat on it. So once the initial break I am of the engine is done I will be bringing it to Shane up at db performance for a tune
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #44
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Regarding your "Wat?", just imagine the lawsuit if they were to crash a car while street-tuning. From the car's owner, driver of the car they hit, any passengers they hit, owners of other damaged property, etc. Basically, a good lawyer would put them out of business since I guarantee no business insurance policy covers illegal street tuning, and no tuning waiver will hold up in court if it was performed illegally.
Yea, old school DSMer/Fabricator Wes Hess died in a street tuning accident a few years back.
Old 02-28-2013   #45
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

That was tragic! Sad thing was he had no control over the situation and was not operating the car!

I can see street tuning drive-ability but the high power pulls, take it to a dyno. Not worth risking your life or someone elses.
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #46
DVS_DAN

Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons69 View Post
Map built my shortblock, cylinder head express built my head, I assembled the long block, and pushit2.0 degreed my cams. Then I installed the engine. It is running on a partial tune from last year that makes it driveable but I can't beat on it. So once the initial break I am of the engine is done I will be bringing it to Shane up at db performance for a tune
Gotcha, so you would work from the initial break-in period. Sounds like you have a good plan. I believe most guys use a different weight oil during break-in too, like a lighter 5w-30 before going to 20w-50.
DVS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #47
4seasons69

Yeah one I switch from the amsoil break in I'll probably run a 5w30 conventional at least until it gets warmer out
Old 03-01-2013   #48
DVS_DAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
It's not tuned, this thread is about how many miles to put on the car before tuning. Looks like he is bringing it to DB after initial break-in.
I was charged $320 bucks for tuning after mine was installed, during initial break-in. I assume that's standard practice?
Old 03-01-2013   #49
4seasons69

I guess I don't really know. This is my first brand new engine and usually do most of my own work. But 300-400 for a tune sounds about the norm for a tune
Old 03-01-2013   #50
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

If you have some sort of built up resentment towards MAP, could you please take it somewhere else other than right here.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #51
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
But 300-400 for a tune sounds about the norm for a tune
Agreed. Dyno and tuner time costs money.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #52
4seasons69

Plus to me an extra 300-400 to make sure that everything is perfect with a new engine is cheap insurance considering the cost of building the engine
Old 03-01-2013   #53
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Last I heard they still have Jordan, unless he just quit or maybe they're looking for another.
Idk, they were taking resume's last week on facebook and looking for another person the way it sounded. Not sure what the deal is, if they are looking for an additional one, or a replacement.

Quote:
Regarding your "Wat?", just imagine the lawsuit if they were to crash a car while street-tuning. From the car's owner, driver of the car they hit, any passengers they hit, owners of other damaged property, etc. Basically, a good lawyer would put them out of business since I guarantee no business insurance policy covers illegal street tuning, and no tuning waiver will hold up in court if it was performed illegally.
Yea, I understand that. I just know a number of tuning shops around the metro area do some form of road tuning from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGST View Post
I can see street tuning drive-ability but the high power pulls, take it to a dyno. Not worth risking your life or someone elses.
Yes, this I'm pretty sure is probably what the above mentioned shops do when they take a car out on the street for tuning.

Quote:
I was charged $320 bucks for tuning after mine was installed, during initial break-in. I assume that's standard practice?
Yep, right around $300ish sounds right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #54
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Not sure what's going on here, but you can rent dyno time and tune it yourself....
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #55
DVS_DAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
If you have some sort of built up resentment towards MAP, could you please take it somewhere else other than right here.
Woah, this was taken the wrong way... I need to specify that my question was focused on whether or not getting an initial tune was standard practice since I paid for one but 4Seasons' car hadn't had a break-in tune and I wasn't sure if needed one or not? The tuning pricing is what it is and I've actually found MAP's prices for everything to be reasonable, parts and services. Not bad for one of the nicest shops in the midwest.

I just confirmed my car got a break-in tune after coincidentally talking to Nick this morning about something else. A break-in tune is done to keep the engine at a conservative level. The timing and things are set a little rich for break-in. Like he mentioned earlier in this thread, it is also tuned wide open so you can let er buck, but not recommended of course.

Also, talking with him about oil, I'm going to swap out now (600 miles) to a final oil choice like Amsoil Dominator or Z Rod. It would be better to be running a winter blend since Break-In oil is a single weight 30w. I believe that was the jist of the conversation. It's great to get a hold of them and pick their brain once in a while.

Last edited by DVS_DAN; 03-01-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 03-01-2013   #56
4seasons69

I hear where you're coming from. Personally my car runs alright as is plus I have a wide band and the aem program so if I need to adjust afrs during break in i can. Also since my car is not tuned that is why I am going to bring it in for a tune as soon as I can
Old 03-01-2013   #57
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Not sure what's going on here, but you can rent dyno time and tune it yourself....
Dyno rental time still requires an operator, so in the end it'll probably cost you more than just paying for a tune.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #58
4seasons69

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Honestly i would love to tune my car myself but with the power I'm going for and with the money I have invested in this car it just isn't worth the risk. In all seriousness though once I get some of my tool debt paid down going to school for tuning is something I would really like to do
Old 03-01-2013   #59
DVS_DAN

Quote:
Honestly i would love to tune my car myself but with the power I'm going for and with the money I have invested in this car it just isn't worth the risk.
AGREED, I'm in the same boat. Do it once by doing it right the first time.
Old 03-01-2013   #60
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Quote:
Dyno rental time still requires an operator, so in the end it'll probably cost you more than just paying for a tune.
The rates are usually cheaper, but if you don't know then yes I agree.

Quote:
Honestly i would love to tune my car myself but with the power I'm going for and with the money I have invested in this car it just isn't worth the risk. In all seriousness though once I get some of my tool debt paid down going to school for tuning is something I would really like to do
Learn!!
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote