MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 06-30-2015   #1
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires
Hail Damage - Insurance Questions

Yesterday we got pummeled by hail and three cars got damage. Each have very different values figuratively and personally. Questions on how this works.

What are your experiences, and anything I should be asking, checking, doing to make sure this all goes smooth? Insurance adjusters will be coming next week due to high volume from the storms.

2008 Sequoia - It's mostly the roof, but a few spots on the hood. Value is high enough where I assume they'll fix it. So they cut a check and I go get it fixed?

1991 GSX - Decent amount of dings on roof and hood - I want to fix for sure, but what will insurance company give me as options? And what will happen to the title?

1998 Outback - A little on the hood, but mostly on the roof. We've owned it since new, but I'm guessing due to it's current market value, they'll say it's totaled? If so, what are my options if we want to keep the car?
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #2
b00sted_spyder

Drives: 97 Eclipse GST spyder(Project car), 95 Corolla(DD), 91 MR2 turbo(Fun car)
Re: Hail Damage - Insurance Questions

My Titan got hit really bad back in May. About 100 dents. They ended up cutting me a check after my deductible to take it wherever i wanted. The other option was they take it to their shop and fix everything. That is through progressive.
b00sted_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #3
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ

In my experiance in dealing with this it boils down to doing a claim or not.

The GSX will likely get totaled, likely same as the Outback depending on what the damage comes back as. From there it's a change to the title if you want to buy it back.

Maybe worth it to fix the Sequioa through the normal process, and fix the GSX with claims $ from the Outback and keep the GSX out of the insurance process to keep the title clean? If that's worth it for you.
Old 06-30-2015   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Definitely do a claim and hit them up with documentation of other DSM's going for a good price in condition like yours. Play up the collectible car part. They will probably give you money to PDR them unless it is over like 20 dents per panel, then they replace (had hail damage on our cars about 5 years ago). I said screw it and didn't fix the lincoln, pocketed a check for $6k. The M roadster we got fixed at a good shop.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #5
AwdGSX13

Drives: Cars

I would just file a claim for all three, the only thing they will penalize you on is volume. Chances are your rates won't increase. If the "value" of the gsx is under 5k then it will not get a salvage title.

Id make sure you look over the vehicles and make sure you understand all the damage so you can double check there estimates. If it's a catastrophe team coming to look at it, they try and move fast and can miss things.

If you want to keep a t/l car they will take the value and deduct what they think salvage is worth and you get paid the rest to do as you please.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
AwdGSX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Here's the best PDR guy I've ever used: http://www.dentkraftpdr.com/

With the recent hail he is going to be busy and be very booked-up, I'd get on his calendar ASAP. I've personally used him on 3 cars.

*edit*
Reading the below thread, looks like you've already used him in the past!
http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/sho...ght=dent+kraft
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #7
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I had hail on my GSX about 10 years ago when it was worth nothing like today. They gave me a check to fix it and didn't do anything with the title. I still haven't fixed it yet, it's on my short list of things to do.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #8
Speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwdGSX13 View Post
I would just file a claim for all three, the only thing they will penalize you on is volume. Chances are your rates won't increase. If the "value" of the gsx is under 5k then it will not get a salvage title.
What do you mean penalize because of volume?

If the gsx title doesn't get stamped salvaged, rebuilt or anything bad etc, then I'll file a claim (for all three cars).

For something like a hood, any idea how many dents it takes for them to replace vs. Fix?

Thanks for the info so far guys, its helping.

Chris, re: dentkraft. My only concern would be their price exceding what insurance will give. Otherwise, thanks for the reminder, I actually forgot about them.
Old 07-01-2015   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Chris, re: dentkraft. My only concern would be their price exceding what insurance will give. Otherwise, thanks for the reminder, I actually forgot about them.
Let them work directly with your insurance then. You can opt to have insurance pay for the actual repairs instead of just getting a check.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #10
AwdGSX13

Quote:
What do you mean penalize because of volume?

If the gsx title doesn't get stamped salvaged, rebuilt or anything bad etc, then I'll file a claim (for all three cars).

For something like a hood, any idea how many dents it takes for them to replace vs. Fix?

Thanks for the info so far guys, its helping.

Well depending on insurance having three claims in a year might make a difference(even if it happened at the same time), just ask your agent or insurance on that.

GSX will be fine, just looked it up and it's anything older than 6 years and valued under 9k doesn't get salvage title stamped.

As far as in the case of hood you have to look at size and quantity and the material it's made out of all have impacts on replacement.

Most insurance companies if you send them the invoice from the pdr guy they will compensate any differences within reason obviously. PDR is straight forward and i'm sure you will have no issues. Just make sure the PDR tech you use is good and isn't looking to make a few extra bucks. If you are looking for someone to use LMK, we use a guy that is absolutely amazing. But like Kracka said - most of these guys are going to be very busy now so have patience it may be a few weeks out.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 07-01-2015   #11
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Id get an estimate from your insurance from all damage. Had this on the house 2 years ago. Got a check from them, and then got to go wherever I wanted to fix the damage. If their check isnt big enough and a shop says they need more, they will do a supplemental check post inspection again. That also happened to me, since I found more damage.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #12
Speedfreak

Adjuster came today. I did my own estimate of dents per car per panel, and his came in almost identical.

We'll see what he comes back with for each.
Old 07-10-2015   #13
Speedfreak

Interesting enough, none of the cars were considered total loss. Now we'll have to see what body shops and or PDR places come up with for estimates vs. the amounts insurance estimated.

The numbers seem lower then I would have expected for some panels and the number of dents on that panel (roofs mostly).
Old 07-10-2015   #14
AwdGSX13

Quote:
Interesting enough, none of the cars were considered total loss. Now we'll have to see what body shops and or PDR places come up with for estimates vs. the amounts insurance estimated.

The numbers seem lower then I would have expected for some panels and the number of dents on that panel (roofs mostly).

Probably because they are, your probably better off just giving them the ins. estimate so that they can work off of that for when the supplement is needed unless your going to try and not pay your deductible.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 07-10-2015   #15
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Dont tell the body shops what insurance is giving you. If they are higher, then insurance will have to match.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #16
AwdGSX13

Adams dent company. He's out of Saint Paul and does amazing work, if you want his number let me know.

Anyway good luck.

If you want to try and save some money on deductibles i would find a company that does only hail and go through them, but more than likely insurance counts will be low. Especially with the severity ive seen in the cities.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL

Last edited by AwdGSX13; 07-10-2015 at 08:12 PM..
Old 08-05-2015   #17
Speedfreak

I got checks for the gsx and the outback.

Sequoia went in today to get started. Insurance would only make out a check to me and a body shop together(still has a loan..). So they sent the "assignment" to the body shop of my choice. I chose Lemettrey's, as that's who the Toyota dealership recommended, and I'm having a non hail damage spot fixed at the same time(will require a tiny amount of paint work etc).

Once done, time to do a clean of the interior and list for sale.

Gsx I'll get fixed in time, probably with a front clip paint/refresh of some sort.