Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 04-17-2014   #21
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Need a Grill - any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
My only advice would be wait until fall when they all go on sale. We bought our SS Char-broil from Lowe's a few years ago when it went on clearance in late fall. We love it.

I think this is damn close to ours, except ours just has 1 temp gauge, not 4. I think we paid probably closer to $300-350 for it on sale in the fall.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_404325-82210...etInfo=4.0|Yes
Sounds like I probably have the same model as Brandon; got it for around $350 at Home Depot about 4 1/2 years ago. It works well, but it's definitely not a Weber in terms of quality or durability. It just depends what you're wanting to spend. In the end, a $100 grill or a $1000 grill will all cook about the same. Decide how large of a cooking surface you need, how long you'd like it to last, and how baller you want to look in the process

Next grill I buy will likely be a Weber, but for now the CharBroil is working just fine.

Last edited by Kracka; 04-17-2014 at 07:26 AM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #22
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Well, it was a hard battle last night. I kind of wish I would've waited until tonight as reading some of these comments makes me sort of wish I had got the weber haha.

Last night was crazy, took me 1.5 hours just to get from my work in Plymouth to Champlin (knoxvilles house, needed his services for hauling in his new Avalanche). Anyway, we made the rounds. Stopped at Home depot, the went to menards, then sears and finally lowes.

I almost just picked one up at Home depot but then figured i should see if anywhere else has anything good. Menards had a few decent ones but nothing different really. Sears just made my decision harder as they had a few kenmore elites that I really liked but at the time I hadn't heard anyone really recommend them and I just sat there looking at them and decided if I wanted something last night I should leave as it was just mucking up my decision making process. Then off to Lowe's. Basically the same stuff as home depot so I figured, time to pick.

After looking, I for sure thought that the Weber was more durable and seemed better quality overall. But for the ones I was looking at it was almost double the price.

Finally, I ended up going with the charbroil below, it has the infrared deals which seem cool, individual thermometers per burner and the side burner if I eve need it (i was thinking I could pan sear steaks on this then toss them on the grill, we shall see).

For 350 bucks for the grill(it was 50 off from normal, which made it too cheap to not buy), 45 for a new full propane tank, 40 for the 4 season cover and then a warranty (just because I felt like since I didn't get the weber i should buy this) it was too good of a deal and I felt like enough people liked them to justify it. The guy beyond me in line, like the only other guy in the store as we were the only idiots out driving last night, said he just bought the same one and loved it which was cool.

Anyway, all said and done like 550 or something in that neighborhood, so a solid deal I think.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_404324-82210...nfo=Char-Broil

I will try this out and maybe in a few years I upgrade to the weber but I think this is a vast improvement from the shitty electric one I got for free that I never use. Steaks are hopefully going on this thing Saturday for its maiden voyage.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #23
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi

So uhh, when's the grillin party?
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #24
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehehodi View Post
So uhh, when's the grillin party?
Maybe in May sometime

I need practice first so I am not a total grill noob.
Old 04-17-2014   #25
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Enjoy! Eat a steak or two for me. I'll be grilling some cilantro lime chicken breast on mine tonight...hopefully while sipping [guzzling?] a margarita
Old 04-17-2014   #26
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Enjoy! Eat a steak or two for me. I'll be grilling some cilantro lime chicken breast on mine tonight...hopefully while sipping [guzzling?] a margarita
Done and done.

I still feel like this is a gamble as there are a lot of people that say this thing requires a lot of extra maintenance with the infrared deals and many say this thing rusts easily. But I guess that is why I have an extended warranty. I am sure it will do alright, if it ends up sucking balls after 1 year I will post up to warn others.
Old 04-17-2014   #27
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Im sure youll be fine and it will last at least 5 years or more. Im rocking a charcoal grill from the 90s thats still in good condition, just needs the bottom tray painted this year. Keep it covered and clean it properly and it will last...
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #28
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

5 years from a CharBroil is definitely doable if you keep it covered when not in use. Mine is on it's 5th grilling season and it still works just fine. I've had to buy a few replacement parts, but I blame that on bad storms knocking it over twice.
Old 04-17-2014   #29
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Looks like it'll cook a steak just fine. We've had ours probably 3 years now and is still in pristine condition. Just take good care of it (keep it covered and halfway clean), simple as that.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #30
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Buying a grill is half the battle, now grilling a steak to perfection is whole another mystery!

Congratulations Murlo, looks like a decent buy. Now go grill some bacon!
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #31
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Buying a grill is half the battle, now grilling a steak to perfection is whole another mystery!
Buying it is the easy part, it's the assembly that kicked my ass! Tiny little pieces scattered all about the garage. What I expected to take me 20 minutes turned into 3 hours of sweating & swearing
Old 04-17-2014   #32
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Buying it is the easy part, it's the assembly that kicked my ass! Tiny little pieces scattered all about the garage. What I expected to take me 20 minutes turned into 3 hours of sweating & swearing
Yea, I am really hoping it doesn't take that long but the way my stuff goes it will. Going to start sat morning, then do the family nonsense for easter then hopefully get it wrapped up later that night and do a bedtime steak or something, we shall see.

I also have new blinds for my guest bedroom and a new beer, dopplebock to brew as well. Lots to do, no time to do it!

And yes, I agree, grilling the steak will be much more difficult to be good at then buying a damn grill, just need some practice
Old 04-17-2014   #33
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

If you buy steaks from Omaha Steaks, their included instructions are pretty much spot on.

Sounds like you have a busy weekend ahead of yourself too. I'm in the middle of redoing my front yard landscaping so Home Depot has been my 2nd home as of late.
Old 04-17-2014   #34
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Agree, I just follow their simple chart for cooking mine (not just Omaha but any steak). Takes the guess work out of it and they turn out awesome every time.

http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/O...cipe_cookchart
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #35
Murlo26

Nice chart!

Are the time in there per side I am guessing? Like top number is first side then bottom is second? I am pretty confident that is it but want to be sure.

I will test this on my grill for sure!
Old 04-17-2014   #36
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Very cool chart! Ive become pretty good at timing, charcoal is tricky though because the temps are a bit hard to control.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #37
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Nice chart!

Are the time in there per side I am guessing? Like top number is first side then bottom is second? I am pretty confident that is it but want to be sure.

I will test this on my grill for sure!
Correct. Top number is the 1st side, bottom number is the 2nd side. I keep this chart in my kitchen.
Old 04-17-2014   #38
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

I use the shit out of that chart, good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #39
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Funny that we all have the exact same chart LOL
Old 04-17-2014   #40
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g