MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013   #2461
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Kinda worthless (like most catch-can setups out there) w/o a vacuum source IMHO. Catch-cans generally cause more problems than they solve since most people don't set them up correctly. Having vacuum evacuate the crankcase vapors is much more effective than using the pistons to pump it out. At least this one has large enough lines to not cause additional back pressure. What does it have in the way of internal baffling/packing?

Last edited by Kracka; 02-04-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #2462
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Kinda worthless (like most catch-can setups out there) w/o a vacuum source IMHO. Catch-cans generally cause more problems than they solve since most people don't set them up correctly. Having vacuum evacuate the crankcase vapors is much more effective than using the pistons to pump it out. At least this one has large enough lines to not cause additional back pressure. What does it have in the way of internal baffling/packing?
Well my current setup has just one line that is constantly kinked going to my catch can and then to atmosphere. My current one is worthless for sure.

This one doesn't have vacuum and Kozmic designed it and tested in on the dyno and track and said it works great. MAP also said they have installed several and all have had great results.

It's internally a box more or less, no baffling I don't think.

I simply went off recommendations from MAP and several others with big HP builds and all have said it works well.

MAP had hypothesized that my head started leaking previously due to an insufficient catch can setup and said this one should solve my issues.

I agree, having vacuum works very well as you basically suction out all the crap but I think this one will work. Kozmic saw like 10-15whp gains from this on his car that he said is from reduced crank case pressure.

Dunno.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #2463
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

Quote:
Having vacuum evacuate the crankcase vapors is much more effective than using the pistons to pump it out.
Except there is no engine vacuum when you're under boost.

Dave, even an OEM setup utilizes a basic positive pressure tube to relieve engine blowby when above atmospheric pressure is achieved. If you have more blow-by than that system was designed for, you can lose power.

Last edited by Tachyon; 02-04-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #2464
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Except there is no engine vacuum when you're under boost.
Suction from the intake pipe. It's not much vacuum unless you have an undersized or clogged air filter, but it's better than forcing it into the atmosphere.
Old 02-06-2013   #2465
Murlo26

New gauge pod so I am not blocking my tach/speedo half way now Plus room for an oil pressure one now too.

It will look like this installed in case you are wondering.

Old 02-06-2013   #2466
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Instead you just can't see out the windshield now :P

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #2467
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Instead you just can't see out the windshield now :P
Exactly what I was thinking.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #2468
Murlo26

And strangely exactly what I thought too which is why I never bought it until now.

But I spoke to several trusted people online who have it and AMS and all said if you aren't short you are alright. I think they said as long as you are like 5'8" you "should" be alright. I am 6'2" so I should be alright.

I will obviously test fit before I move my gauges, but I think its a great piece and will look way better than my cheap bolt on to the steering column solution.

Here is Hollywood's X with the pod installed, not sure this video shows much for camera angles but he said he has zero issues seeing over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UZHRdq_PIY&hd=1

Last edited by Murlo26; 02-06-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Old 02-07-2013   #2469
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Chkmgnt had that on his car and it looked very out of place/stuck on, didn't blend at all with the interior dash lines. Rmondoh bought an A-pillar pod that is a complete replacement for the panel and it looks pretty decent.

Last edited by Kracka; 02-07-2013 at 07:39 AM..
Old 02-07-2013   #2470
Murlo26

I don't like the apillar one because the a pillars, in my mind, already block a huge chunk of vision on the X. I didn't want to make that any worse.

If I don't end up liking this my next option is to get some custom dash work done.
Old 02-07-2013   #2471
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Gauges? We don't need no stinking gauges!..

There really isn't a great solution, if you want these right in front of you. If this is purely a reference thing, a nice tri- panel setup custom cut out of carbon fiber sheet in the lower center console right below the HVAC controls would be a very nice compromise. Or if going for the sleeper look, the glove box is always a good way to go.

Hopefully these are good suggestions.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #2472
Murlo26

I want them all right in front of me for when I am tuning, driving or whatever. I don't so much need my boost gauge, its an ok thing to see there in case I am going WAY over, but I for sure want my wideband there, right in front of my face.

I already have a bunch of things i need to look for, knock light, rpm, speed, boost etc...I don't want them down in the hvac area as they aren't right in my line of sight.
Old 02-07-2013   #2473
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

What you need is a heads-up display with some logic behind it that pops up any sensors that are outside your programmed acceptable ranges.
Old 02-07-2013   #2474
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
What you need is a heads-up display with some logic behind it that pops up any sensors that are outside your programmed acceptable ranges.
That is something I am considering, but not quite that advanced haha.

Here is the next thing I want to do.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69289

Then take out my rockford head unit and make a custom mount for this. Then get music on this somehow as its a tablet and it will have all my gauges etc on there and hopefully you can set that up to blink or go nuts if it goes out of range. Then I could ECUflash right there too, streamlined.
Old 02-07-2013   #2475
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

How do you find time to drive while looking at all that stuff? I had a triple pod in my IX, but I can tell you the only time I ever looked at any of it was cruising down the highway or sitting at a stoplight.
Old 02-07-2013   #2476
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

On my old 1G I just used a Knock Box, which showed the current knock sum in LED. I only used a boost gauge when something didn't "feel right" aka probably a boost leak or some turbo system part failure.

If is pretty easy and cheap to setup an LED that warns of low oil pressure. On dry sump Evos we set it up so that we also require oil pressure for the car to be running, if oil pressure is lost then the ECU shuts the engine down. It takes a little extra cranking for the car to start, because it waits for oil pressure, we also have bypass buttons though. The main reason we do it on dry sump cars is in case the belt that runs the oil pump breaks or comes off.
Old 02-07-2013   #2477
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

^Smart, I like that idea.
Old 02-07-2013   #2478
Murlo26

Quote:
How do you find time to drive while looking at all that stuff? I had a triple pod in my IX, but I can tell you the only time I ever looked at any of it was cruising down the highway or sitting at a stoplight.
well part of it is I am always always changing my tune etc dialing it in. I spent almost all of last year dialing it in.

I am paranoid now as I have had plenty of issues and if something is feeling right like shane said I watch gauges to help figure it out initially then start logging or wrenching.

I do however, watch AFR and boost at the beginning of my pull to make sure fuel starts coming in right and it goes rich. After about 4500-5000rpms I am just quick glancing at knock CEL and RPM for shifting.

I do that on every pull, I guess I am paranoid but with fueling issues and all sorts of shit possible I still don't feel 100% confident in my car, mostly hardware wise or all hardware wise to just slam on it and hope for the best.

I have caught plenty of issues this way by watching everything.
Old 02-07-2013   #2479
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Sounds like a PITA that takes all the enjoyment out of driving.

I dealt with exactly this on my IX, with constant logging/tuning, grew sick of the car, and sold it. Smart decision and I haven't looked back. If you can't trust something and truly enjoy it, why bother owning it?

With my X I made sure to go the exact opposite way and never have to worry about it so I can focus on having fun and enjoying my car. I have no gauges and my car has remained reliable. I drive it every day and never worry about my fuel, tune, boost, etc. Hell, I've never once even logged my car with the AP. I couldn't tell you what my boost is at on any given day, nor do I care

Different strokes for different folks, I just hope with your next car (or even this one), you can learn from previous mistakes and figure out a way to avoid history from repeating itself.

Last edited by Kracka; 02-07-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Old 02-07-2013   #2480
Murlo26

Quote:
Sounds like a PITA that takes all the enjoyment out of driving.

I dealt with exactly this on my IX, with constant logging/tuning, grew sick of the car, and sold it. Smart decision and I haven't looked back. If you can't trust something and truly enjoy it, why bother owning it?

With my X I made sure to go the exact opposite way and never have to worry about it so I can focus on having fun and enjoying my car. I have no gauges and my car has remained reliable. I drive it every day and never worry about my fuel, tune, boost, etc. Hell, I've never once even logged my car with the AP. I couldn't tell you what my boost is at on any given day, nor do I care

Different strokes for different folks, I just hope with your next car (or even this one), you can learn from previous mistakes and figure out a way to avoid history from repeating itself.
I think if you want a reliable car that makes almost triple stock power you are stuck with this type of caution. It does suck and I don't love worrying about it all the time. I am getting better at knowing the setup and when there is something wrong, I can usually feel it now without having to log or whatever but I still do it to feel better.

Why do you think I wanted to sell it last summer and buy a vette? I still do want a c6z right now but frankly I will mod that too much too probably. My big thing is I feel so invested into this car and can't see myself losing SO MUCH money by selling. I'd rather get smarter about keeping it running right and make sure to do everything necessary and just have fun with it.

It works well now and I am just doing little things for the most part now. It's still a lot of fun

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.