MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 03-21-2010   #1
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing
Rotors Are on Backwards

While I was at Tom's last, he pointed out that the slotted rotors are on backwards I'd like to keep them since they came on the car when I bought it and for the fact that they are Brembo rotors, but if I switched them around would it cause any weird vibrations?
Old 03-21-2010   #2
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638
Re: Rotors Are on Backwards

Shouldn't. Post a pic of them installed right now. I doubt that Kevin or Mark would install them backwards, but hey, we all make mistakes.
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #3
LingLing
AznKraut

I just ran out and checked and they are on backwards. The highest point of the slot is leading, not the lowest. I always thought they looked kinda goofy hahaha. I'll have to switch those around when I pull the transmission.
Old 03-21-2010   #4
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

I don't think it honestly matters all that much. They do their job whichever end leads...

It's the internal cooling vanes that matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #5
LingLing
AznKraut

After I did some more digging on the intr0netz it sounds like it varies what brand they are. Apparently some brands are designed to be the opposite way of what you'd think they'd be. That, I never knew.
Old 03-22-2010   #6
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

There has been talk forever as to which way the slot should go, but there is no definitive proof that one way works better or worse than the other. I had always been a fan of the inside of the slot leading so it acts like it would be pushing whatever material and gas it's scraping away toward the outside of the pad and rotor, but whatever.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #7
LingLing
AznKraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
I had always been a fan of the inside of the slot leading so it acts like it would be pushing whatever material and gas it's scraping away toward the outside of the pad and rotor, but whatever.
+1, That makes the most sense to me too. But I have no idea whether these are the type of rotors that should be like this, or if they were accidentally put on backwards.
Old 03-22-2010   #8
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Thinking Logically the leading should be the inside, Mainly like matt said, you want the dust/gasses/heat to be pushed outward away from being trapped towards the middle. Unless you do a lot of backwards racing like i do.
Ive actually pointed this out on not only jasons car but another guy in CAs car as well. Unsure how that mistake is made.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #9
LingLing
AznKraut

Yep, I'm with ya there, too Tom. I always thought the highest point was suppose to be the trailing end. I'll probably end up switching those around when the trans comes out.
Old 03-22-2010   #10
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
+1, That makes the most sense to me too. But I have no idea whether these are the type of rotors that should be like this, or if they were accidentally put on backwards.
I've noticed that some (possibly cheap?) rotors are all made in one direction, so there is no differentiation between left and right, they all point the same direction, so one side of the car will be one way and the other side will be the complete opposite.

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 03-22-2010   #11
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
I've noticed that some (possibly cheap?) rotors are all made in one direction, so there is no differentiation between left and right, they all point the same direction, so one side of the car will be one way and the other side will be the complete opposite.
I dont think they are the cheap ones. The first post stated they were brembos and all on backwards.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 03-22-2010   #12
tpunx99GSX

Also what we are not thinking of (at least i wasnt) is the effect it has on the pads when the brakes are applied. If the leading edge is the top point, then it would cause the brake pads to pull towards the center of the wheel when the brakes are applied. But if the leading edge is the inside, it would cause the brake pads to push outward yes? Not sure which is better/worse. but another thought. I always figured the slots were for cooling/dusting purposes.
Old 03-22-2010   #13
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Doubt it has anything to do with an inward/outward force, I'd assume that would be negligible. The slots are designed to help keep the pads clean of dust/debris and help remove any gasses created by the high temps.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2010   #14
tpunx99GSX

yeah just a thought. then i will stick with my first answer.
Old 03-22-2010   #15
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

They are not installed backwards. When I got the rotors, there was installation instructions that came in the box, and that's how it said they were supposed to be installed. I thought it seemed backwards as well, but that's how Brembo says they're supposed to be installed, so that's what I went with.
Old 03-22-2010   #16
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

That's just it, I've seen instructions from manufacturers that say different things. I'm almost positive Brembo and Stoptech or Powerslot are opposites.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2010   #17
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Most brands don't matter, its the internal cooling vanes that need to be setup in the proper direction, but most of those aren't directional anyway unless you get into the high-end rotors. My advice is to just leave them since the pads have already bed in to the current rotors in the current direction.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #18
LingLing
AznKraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 1G Drummer View Post
They are not installed backwards. When I got the rotors, there was installation instructions that came in the box, and that's how it said they were supposed to be installed. I thought it seemed backwards as well, but that's how Brembo says they're supposed to be installed, so that's what I went with.
Works for me!
Old 03-22-2010   #19
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Brembo > Tom
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote