MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2013   #2861
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

^ Nice. We'll have to dub it the Freight Train.
Old 05-22-2013   #2862
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
^ Nice. We'll have to dub it the Freight Train.
It's heavy and big like a train I suppose

We didn't even get to try out the real gears (3-4), it was too wet. The car was going nuts in the water and we didn't want to push our luck. But I tried to give them a taste of what it is like.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #2863
Mark Leasure

Does your car maintain traction? 1st gear in mine is useless now with the 6266, just a spin factory. Not cool for me, I might look into better tires? I'd much rather have it hook.
Fastest: 92 Talon AWD – 8.14 @ 171 MPH
www.maperformance.com
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #2864
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leasure View Post
Does your car maintain traction? 1st gear in mine is useless now with the 6266, just a spin factory. Not cool for me, I might look into better tires? I'd much rather have it hook.
I haven't tried 1st yet lol. But I dead hook in 2nd gear.

I do have 275's all around though which helps.
What size tire do you have?

I am pretty sure my 1st will be spin city if I want it to be.
Old 05-22-2013   #2865
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Mark get some of the 245/45-17 M&H Racemasters that Bushur sells. Josh's car hooks pretty with with them making more power than you do.

Murlo, they make them in 275/45-18's too.

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Drag-Radials#.UZ2XcIdJPpU

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #2866
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL

On the RS3s, my car will spin into 3rd if the road isn't warm and pretty clean.

With the M&Hs it hooks fine on a cool road at a 50 roll brake boosting to 45psi.
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #2867
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramagedained View Post
On the RS3s, my car will spin into 3rd if the road isn't warm and pretty clean.

With the M&Hs it hooks fine on a cool road at a 50 roll brake boosting to 45psi.
LOL, 45psi brake boost haha.

I think I will just move to 285 sticky street tires. If I were to get drag radials, I would move to evo 8 front brakes and get 17's and slicks for a 2nd set of rims/tires.

My car is pretty good with traction as is. I guess I will see what 1st is like this Monday when I get home from up north.
Old 06-05-2013   #2868
Murlo26

Back to work on the evo tonight. Working on a bunch of little shit I have left to install. Need to rotate tires from front to back too (anyone know torque specs on wheels again, I feel like I did 80-90 ft/lbs last time, but never remember), shit is starting to wear.

Ripped out fogs and wiring harness for it....installed fog delete kit.

I like the look

Working on lightening this bitch up.
Old 06-05-2013   #2869
scheides
flips McGee

Nice! Fog lights are for street cars, this is now because race car! You bringing this hog up to BIR in a few weeks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #2870
Murlo26

Undecided on BIR, shit has been crazy lately with life in general. I want to go but I am 50/50.
Old 06-05-2013   #2871
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I torque my wheels to 75 ft/lbs. Spec, I believe, is 73 +-7.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #2872
Murlo26

^Thanks
Old 06-17-2013   #2873
Murlo26

Got the car off jackstands last Thursday finally. I was out of town for a while then it has been raining so much I have zero interest in doing any car stuff.

I need to drill out a stripped drain plug from my new Kozmic catch can...I guess $300+ on a catch can gets you a seized plug...ugh. But I wanted to drive it so I put the bumper back on and decided to deal with that later.

Gave Paul (tachyon) a ride Friday night when he came over for shenanigans. Then I let him drive back from the liquor store. It's weird riding in the evo, I have only let a few others drive it and no one recently. He seemed to enjoy it. I am just going to clean up the tune (not up the boost) now I think. I have little desire to make it faster at this point, just drive it and not break it.

No proving grounds for me though I decided. I just don't have the time/money right now. I am planning to make the next one and maybe make it out to slippery falls once before that.
Old 06-17-2013   #2874
Murlo26

Double post somehow.
Old 06-17-2013   #2875
Tachyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Gave Paul (tachyon) a ride Friday night when he came over for shenanigans. Then I let him drive back from the liquor store. He seemed to enjoy it.
Yea, it was legit
Old 06-17-2013   #2876
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

^I'd love you hear your compare/contrast after driving both mine and his!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #2877
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL

I would just drill and tap that can for a 90 degree needle valve/fitting that you can put some hose on, like I did with the catch can in my car.

The hose is long enough to easily direct what comes out into pretty much anything to dispose of the fluid inside. Instead of having a plug that you pull out then have the stuff drool all over.

Assuming you're talking about a drain plug.
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #2878
Tachyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
^I'd love you hear your compare/contrast after driving both mine and his!
At first I wasn't really sure what to think, but reflecting on it a little bit, this is what my subconscious dredged up...

They are actually surprisingly similar in feel, Chris. The major difference was the clutch, and a bunch of distracting gauges that I would have left out.

Much like yours, the power delivery on Murlo's car is very linear. You get a controlled surge that builds to redline. Because how the laws of motion work, you don't feel torque, but rather the transition from one TQ level to another. Ergo, the car does not actually feel as fast to me as a lighter car with a massive, but short torque explosion(like a Open class rally car).

Physics aside, the car is deceptively fast. The way speed was mounting, I would suggest this car would trap around 135. Drivability was actually embarrassingly good for a 4 cylinder with 750+ WHP. The biggest change I would pursuit is a lighter clutch solution -or change the engagement point to be closer to the floor- (the sharp angle made it hard to be smooth.)

With your car Chris, I felt like I could jump in and drive the balls off. The car inspires confidence in the driver. There was a lot more going on in Dave's car and I felt super awkward and unsure what approach I wanted to take. But he built it as a weekend toy, so apples to oranges there.

With both cars, I would relocate the pedals for easier usage, and probably install a larger brake booster. For myself, I find the less violent I need to be with the brake pedal the smoother I am with my steering for some odd reason.
Old 06-17-2013   #2879
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramagedained View Post
I would just drill and tap that can for a 90 degree needle valve/fitting that you can put some hose on, like I did with the catch can in my car.

The hose is long enough to easily direct what comes out into pretty much anything to dispose of the fluid inside. Instead of having a plug that you pull out then have the stuff drool all over.

Assuming you're talking about a drain plug.
Yep, the drain plug. I am going to first get the stripped one out and then get a valve that I can just open to drain it. The hose won't help me drain it too much as regardless I have to take my bumper off to get to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
At first I wasn't really sure what to think, but reflecting on it a little bit, this is what my subconscious dredged up...

They are actually surprisingly similar in feel, Chris. The major difference was the clutch, and a bunch of distracting gauges that I would have left out.

Much like yours, the power delivery on Murlo's car is very linear. You get a controlled surge that builds to redline. Because how the laws of motion work, you don't feel torque, but rather the transition from one TQ level to another. Ergo, the car does not actually feel as fast to me as a lighter car with a massive, but short torque explosion(like a Open class rally car).

Physics aside, the car is deceptively fast. The way speed was mounting, I would suggest this car would trap around 135. Drivability was actually embarrassingly good for a 4 cylinder with 750+ WHP. The biggest change I would pursuit is a lighter clutch solution -or change the engagement point to be closer to the floor- (the sharp angle made it hard to be smooth.)

With your car Chris, I felt like I could jump in and drive the balls off. The car inspires confidence in the driver. There was a lot more going on in Dave's car and I felt super awkward and unsure what approach I wanted to take. But he built it as a weekend toy, so apples to oranges there.

With both cars, I would relocate the pedals for easier usage, and probably install a larger brake booster. For myself, I find the less violent I need to be with the brake pedal the smoother I am with my steering for some odd reason.
I am worried to adjust the engagement point too much with my CMC from Magnus as I want to make sure the clutch isn't dragging and it fully disengages. It could probably be made to not be quite as bad as it is.

Interesting to hear another persons opinion, good feed back

135 mph car...that by ricer math = 10.0-10.2 area Maybe I can actually get 11's now! But on a serious note, at that MPH I have to bump my rev limiter to 9200...I'll start with 9k first and if I am good enough to get anywhere near that and then i'll try more.

Last edited by Murlo26; 06-17-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Old 06-17-2013   #2880
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Yep, the drain plug. I am going to first get the stripped one out and then get a valve that I can just open to drain it. The hose won't help me drain it too much as regardless I have to take my bumper off to get to it
What about having the valve at the end of the hose somewhere that is accessible without taking the bumper off?

Sorry to hear you won't be racing at PG this weekend, are you going to come up to watch/party anyway? I'm sure you could even hitch a ride with someone if you didn't want to drive. I will have a seat open if you're available by 3:30 or so.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.