MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2014   #3061
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Get AGP's FMIC instead...and Depo's aluminum IC pipes. For real, I've installed a few sets and they are nice; fairly thick aluminum so they don't crush yet are still a fraction of the weight of steel pipes.
Shit? Serial? Almost every actual track person seems to use ETS and they have always performed well.

I hate AGP, their turbo kit is a joke for the X and just seems like a total POS. Its a laggy turd and their parts always seem to break. Yes, they have awesome customer service and replace stuff quickly, but I just want something proven.

I chose not to support depo after some of the BS i saw on the forums unfortunately. I am sure their stuff works and works well but I want to support merica as much as i can

Man I was hoping to keep this talk more about size of IC, not picking a company lol. I am having enough trouble just picking the IC let alone the manufacturer.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #3062
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I don't care about AGP's turbo kit, we're talking intercoolers here. AGP's is the same price as the ETS 3.5" and far nicer.

If you stick with ETS, then at least get the 3.5" core. I wouldn't suggest the 3" for anyone but someone going to further than mega basic bolt-ons. In terms of IC pipes, it's tough to find nice aluminum ones; since the demise of Nisei, Depo is one of the few companies making IC pipes that meet my standards. Cobb's are nice, but are $$$ and don't fit as well (plus their LICP is only 2.5", I prefer 2.75-3" to take advantage of a ported TB...with a matching FMIC outlet).

Last edited by Kracka; 04-21-2014 at 02:48 PM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #3063
Murlo26

Well so you basically echo what I have been hearing, the 3.5" is ideal and the 4" will probably even get you a bit more (5hp?).

I think I might go 4" just to maximize my stock turbo setup. The 3.5 and 4" are both the same lead time right now so I mind as well get max cooling if I am not trying to get the one in stock and size it only for the stock turbo.

If I get impatient waiting for my new IC I will toss on the stocker to start tuning.
Old 04-21-2014   #3064
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Doesn't MAP have some new intercooler they're prototyping?
Old 04-21-2014   #3065
Murlo26

Quote:
Doesn't MAP have some new intercooler they're prototyping?
Yes, lead time issue.

I was going to originally use MAP for everythign but they don't make a LICP and getting the FMIC together was a problem in any real timeline with their current workload.
Old 04-21-2014   #3066
Murlo26

Ok, so talked with Chris some on gmail chat or whatever. He convinced me of his suggestions and to save some dough.

Now this is my setup for the year I think:

stock x turbo (ported/coated by MAP)
Stock x exhaust manifold (Ported/coated by MAP)
MAP o2 dump downpipe with 3d flange (ported by MAP)
AGP 3.5" FMIC
Depo Racing UICP
Depo Racing 3" LICP
ETS Intake with velocity stack
MAP Rev 3 Intake Manifold - coated as well
MAP 64mm Ported Throttle body
ID1300cc injectors (finally making the jump to ID, was too cheap before but they are the best from all the tuners I have talked to)
AEM320 pump

I think that is the majority of the changes and new stuff. Otherwise, same 2.2L 10:1 compression motor, same head setup with GSC s2 cams etc.

The stock turbo and manifold are already bought and on their way later this week.

I am sure I will need to pick up a slew of stock gaskets, lines, bolts, studs etc but I will tackle that with install.

Hoping for a 420whp/450wtq type of setup. (dynojet numbers, not db numbers). I made 393/396 at MAP on my original stock turbo setup on my stock 2.0L so I think this is doable but only time will tell.

I am excited that I am going to drive the car again, been forever.
Old 04-21-2014   #3067
scheides
flips McGee

Honestly on e85 on the stock turbo idk if I'd put all that money into porting and coating. Just KISS and get it running; your list is already a mile long!

I saw one of those AEM pumps this weekend at the newb mod day...it took hours to install...I wasn't impressed. I'd just go with a DW65 pump. Are these AEM pumps the new hot shit or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #3068
scheides
flips McGee

Oh, and 3.0" fmic? Umm, no. I'd rather just rock a stock or ebay one .

Listen to hughes!
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 04-21-2014   #3069
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Jesus titty fucking christ you love to complicate this thing at every corner don't you Dave?

Don't you already have an aftermarket FMIC? If so, leave it alone.

Already have a ballin ass fuel system? Leave it alone!

Already have injectors, piping, intake mani, throttle body? Why not leave it all alone? Just get the thing running dude, my god.

tl;dr version: Don't over complicate shit so much. Get the thing running. Build it for yourself, not every internet record on every super kewl forum out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #3070
Murlo26

No I don't have any of the items I'm talking about here, I parted it all out last year.

Scheides, I talked to Hughes about the porting and coating and he said go for it, I wasn't sure if I wanted it or not. I wanted the AEM just based on size and price, eventually that will feed a surge tank. I hate DW pumps so I don't want that, I'd rather go wally 255.

Yes I do like to complicate shit I'm not going for a record really just want the car running.
Old 04-22-2014   #3071
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
No I don't have any of the items I'm talking about here, I parted it all out last year.

Scheides, I talked to Hughes about the porting and coating and he said go for it, I wasn't sure if I wanted it or not. I wanted the AEM just based on size and price, eventually that will feed a surge tank. I hate DW pumps so I don't want that, I'd rather go wally 255.

Yes I do like to complicate shit I'm not going for a record really just want the car running.
You sure have developed a lot of vendettas against vendors that make simple, reliable, drop-in parts...why the DW65 hate? No adapter required, drops into factory fuel hanger...unless you've already got the adapter and everything....the DW300 v2 flows even more than the original did and probably rivals a modded W255 now. W255's are tried and true but they are noisy; that's why I like the DW pumps so much (and my W400 for that matter)!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 04-22-2014   #3072
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I'll echo the DW65c pump choice IF you still have your stock unmolested fuel pump hangar and assembly available. I'd offer you mine, but I honestly just threw it out a few weeks ago while cleaning out my garage and attic from Evo shit

I wouldn't bother coating the intake manifold; my coater down here talked me out of it. Do run a phenolic barrier though (I like the cheap white plastic one that doubles as a gasket rather than the orangish one that requires 2 OEM gaskets).

Last edited by Kracka; 04-22-2014 at 07:58 AM..
Old 04-22-2014   #3073
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

Give up. Make it all stock and sell it. You know you will have it all together and change your mind for the 1000th time and switch set ups.
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #3074
Murlo26

Quote:
You sure have developed a lot of vendettas against vendors that make simple, reliable, drop-in parts...why the DW65 hate? No adapter required, drops into factory fuel hanger...unless you've already got the adapter and everything....the DW300 v2 flows even more than the original did and probably rivals a modded W255 now. W255's are tried and true but they are noisy; that's why I like the DW pumps so much (and my W400 for that matter)!
I dislike the dw65c because it barely outflows the stock x pump. The stock x pump is a solid performer and this just doesn't seem like its worth the money for the extra fuel. I don't have vendettas really, I guess I just distrust DW with their questionable quality control and they seem to not RnD as much as I would like to see a company do. (their injectors sucking all over the board have left a bad taste in my mouth) Also, Hughes ended up talking me into Depo, lol. Mainly because it just made sense with the AGP IC which seemed to be a solid choice and has a 3" outlet so the 3" LICP made sense.

I am not all for the AEM320, but in the future if I ever did go back to something bigger which I am going to try to avoid as I want to start working on the house a lot more, it would be big enough to keep a surge tank topped off.

Quote:
I'll echo the DW65c pump choice IF you still have your stock unmolested fuel pump hangar and assembly available. I'd offer you mine, but I honestly just threw it out a few weeks ago while cleaning out my garage and attic from Evo shit

I wouldn't bother coating the intake manifold; my coater down here talked me out of it. Do run a phenolic barrier though (I like the cheap white plastic one that doubles as a gasket rather than the orangish one that requires 2 OEM gaskets).
the DW65 won't work anyway as no I don't have an unmolested fuel pump, mine was heavily modded for the wally450 and I don't have a bunch of the stock shit that went in there.

As for the manifold, its done already, i have had that and my throttle body for months now. I already have the phenolic spacer (barrier) as well, have had that for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkrPerformance View Post
Give up. Make it all stock and sell it. You know you will have it all together and change your mind for the 1000th time and switch set ups.
There is no "make it all stock" option on this car. It's past that. Frankly I'd rather sell it as is for a huge loss if anything so I don't have to use any money on it. I would spend stupid amounts of time trying to put it back to stock. Also, the smartest thing to do would've been to sell it last year when it had the big ass t4 kit on it because then I could get someone who thought that much power in a 4 cylinder was a good idea and fetch top dollar for it. Now I will probably only get a few thousand over what a stock one fetches.

But for now I want to drive it, so not going to sell it. Besides, it has to be running to sell it so if I get bored of it once its back together I will put it up for sale and move onto something more stock like.
Old 04-22-2014   #3075
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Sounds good then I think the new setup is definitely a step in the right direction. You will love the ID injectors; easily the best aftermarket fuel injectors I've ever owned. Their start-up, idle, and drivability was stock-like; not "nearly" stock-like, actual stock-like.
Old 04-22-2014   #3076
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Jeez, I didn't realize you parted so much of the damn thing. I still don't know why. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I guess I just distrust DW with their questionable quality control and they seem to not RnD as much as I would like to see a company do.
Might as well cross ETS off any parts wish list ever then. They have as much RnD as something I made in my garage.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2014   #3077
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Backyard barn welding FTW!
Old 04-22-2014   #3078
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
Jeez, I didn't realize you parted so much of the damn thing. I still don't know why. LOL

Might as well cross ETS off any parts wish list ever then. They have as much RnD as something I made in my garage.
Yea, I sold a ton of shit. Full t4 turbo kit, fuel system and FMIC and pipes. That left the evo pretty bare.

I switched to something else besides ETS, Hughes and I talked I did keep their intake because i know that works though.
Old 04-22-2014   #3079
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

ha, they must have gotten lucky with that one. Their 8/9 intake sucks ass.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2014   #3080
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
ha, they must have gotten lucky with that one. Their 8/9 intake sucks ass.
Dunno, maybe I am wrong, I know plenty of people with it that don't seem to have issues. It's tough to mess up an intake, its a tube with a MAF adapter and a cone. I just like the ETS look and where it sits in the engine bay and haven't heard issues with it.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.