MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 05-08-2012   #1
Dalton C

Drives: currently a kia rio :/
Schooling

I just had a UTI guy come talk to us today, and Icm lookin for second opinions. I'm in an automotive class at school right now which is a college course leading to a community college here in Albert Lea. I'm just undecided right now, stay here for lower schooling, or leave for the best but I'm leavin friends behind and what not. What do you guys think?
Dalton C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Schooling

Nothing wrong with getting your generals out of the way at a community college, but going away to college can lead to a lot of great experiences, new people, and really help you grow as an adult; that can be hard if you never leave home.

I got a year of college courses done at a community college during high school, but after high school graduation moved away to a 4-year university.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #3
Dalton C

See thats the main reason, leaving. That course here locally we're not required to do generals. I figure I could always come back to the cities or somethin. Goin for automotive technical stuff btw.
Old 05-08-2012   #4
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

The job market is becoming increasingly more and more competitive. Go to the school that will give you the best education, especially if they help you get your foot in the door of a new industry.
While education is what you make of it, there are some cases to where a degree from "XXXX" University will mean a lot when it comes to the Human Resources screening process.
Old 05-08-2012   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
The job market is becoming increasingly more and more competitive. Go to the school that will give you the best education, especially if they help you get your foot in the door of a new industry.
While education is what you make of it, there are some cases to where a degree from "XXXX" University will mean a lot when it comes to the Human Resources screening process.
This is very true. I have the job I have now for two simple reasons: Where I went to school. and who I worked for previously. Oddly enough, my boss went to/worked for the same.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #6
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

I'm a big fan of leaving home after highschool and experiencing the rest of the world. It gets you out of your everyday comfort zone, helps you learn who you really are rather than just what you are while you're at home around your everyday friends. Plus you realise there's more out in the world besides you're little neck of the woods. You very well may find out you like it somewhere else better than you like it here. Or it may help you end up realising how much you actually like it here and have a new appreciation for it.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #7
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

Your best bet is to start working at a dealership and have them pay for schooling. My buddy works at a chevy dealership. He started out doing oil change shit and after 6 months they sent him to school and had him work with another mech till he had enough hours to work by himself. They paid for his schooling and paid for him to go. All you need to be is ase certifed and get in somewhete and get them to pay.
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #8
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
Agreed. The "college" I went to didn't do either (offer job placement in the industry and great education). Though it was okay it was definitely not the best experience I had but learned A LOT from it.
Old 05-08-2012   #9
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi

Get your generals out of the way at a community college than transfer. Move if you can. You'll learn a lot. But if your doing an AA. Community college is the your best bet and for your money. But, I'm biased cause I'm 24 and at a community college right now and about to finish the MNTC program by fall of 2012. BOOM! Tom, hire me.

Last edited by tehehodi; 05-08-2012 at 04:20 PM..
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #10
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
This is very true. I have the job I have now for two simple reasons: Where I went to school. and who I worked for previously. Oddly enough, my boss went to/worked for the same.
This is why I was asking about different schools. But I guess your in a different industry than Peter and Andrew.
Old 05-08-2012   #11
89_Colt_GT

Drives: Swifty Crazy

My buddy went to UTI and got hired right away at a ford dealership. He also didn't go out and party and took extra for training so he was a valuable asset to ford already. He has 50k in loan debt but will make that back in a year easily. If I didnt hate working on cars, I'd go to UTI.
89_Colt_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #12
Dalton C

Thats why I want to go to UTI the job looks for you, and if I do want to come back I could. If I get accepted. My grade have never been good. But the rep. said they dont really look at english grade ext. More at like shop classes an stuff so ill be good there
Old 05-08-2012   #13
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Don't ever expect a job to look for you. <b>YOU</b> need to look for the job. School is just a way to get your foot into the door. <b>YOU</b> have to put in all the work and effort. Persistence is key. Knowledge is power. Don't be an arrogant know it all A-hole. Definitely apply yourself and apply to many positions. (I'm just speaking from little to no experience though)

Last edited by tehehodi; 05-08-2012 at 08:31 PM..
Old 05-08-2012   #14
scheides
flips McGee

A lot of people talk abou UTI like it's Top Gun: the best of the best....is it? Is it really?

Kick ass at everything you do, be a rock star and do what makes you happy, do what challenges you and you will go far. Never stop learning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #15
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

I think the UTI reps really try and sell kids on this idea that once you graduate you'll be working for bmw/mercedes/porsche/land rover, etc and starting at 60k a year when in reality i knew plenty of kids in AZ that graduated from UTI and could only find work as entry level lube techs at various dealerships for under 10 bux an hour and trying to pay off substantial student debt.

If you want to work on cars, just go work at a dealership and take the ASE tests over the course of a few years.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #16
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
I think the UTI reps really try and sell kids on this idea that once you graduate you'll be working for bmw/mercedes/porsche/land rover, etc and starting at 60k a year when in reality i knew plenty of kids in AZ that graduated from UTI and could only find work as entry level lube techs at various dealerships for under 10 bux an hour and trying to pay off substantial student debt.

If you want to work on cars, just go work at a dealership and take the ASE tests over the course of a few years.
Yep, same with Wyotech(I went there), they sell you on the idea, but most don't make it there. There were some who made it into good development programs, but you are at the will of where their programs are(have to move away) after schooling is over. Most of whom I went to school with were at basic dealer jobs the last I heard of them.

If you are going for auto tech, you are probably just as likely to get hired locally if going to Dunwoody etc.

However, I do agree with others, moving away is a good learning experience in itself.

The most important concept regardless where you go to school.. DON'T SCREW AROUND AND WASTE YOUR TIME. APPLY YOURSELF AND MAKE THE MOST OF THE SITUATION(go above and beyond to set yourself apart). Do that, and the rest will fall in place.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #17
Dalton C

The rep told us he started pretty low, said you gotta prove urself then you get get regular pay. (as with any job). And what really apeals to me there is the certifications, amd credentials you get. But i also talked to one of the guys here at the comm. college, he said he worked with wyotech, told me its like a student factory, so im not sure what to expect, next weekend is campus visit, so i guess ill find out, ill snag some pics of the shop and student housing if i can, for anyone whos interested.
Old 05-08-2012   #18
Dalton C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Yep, same with Wyotech(I went there), they sell you on the idea, but most don't make it there. There were some who made it into good development programs, but you are at the will of where their programs are(have to move away) after schooling is over. Most of whom I went to school with were at basic dealer jobs the last I heard of them.

If you are going for auto tech, you are probably just as likely to get hired locally if going to Dunwoody etc.

However, I do agree with others, moving away is a good learning experience in itself.

The most important concept regardless where you go to school.. DON'T SCREW AROUND AND WASTE YOUR TIME. APPLY YOURSELF AND MAKE THE MOST OF THE SITUATION(go above and beyond to set yourself apart). Do that, and the rest will fall in place.
Mostly what i was woundering, but im wanting to work with a dealership, so if i can get any advantage ill take it. But if most of them just would send you to get certified anyway, i might as well save money and have the flexibility of staying here.
Old 05-08-2012   #19
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Ling Ling on here works for Honda, or Kia. Some dealership and said his company was looking for a automotive technician. The dealer is located in Mankato.
Old 05-09-2012   #20
pkron05

Drives: 03 Evo VIII

It sounds like you're looking for mechanic training leading to a dealership/wrenching job. However, if you can handle lower level calulus and want to take a step up on the food chain, I would suggest an Automotive Engineering Technology degree at Minnesota State-Mankato. It combines the hands-on aspect of a mechanic, with the testing and problem solving aspect of an engineer, without the high level math. Plus you wont be far from home.
pkron05 is offline   Reply With Quote