Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000
Re: beaterX project thread

Looks very good!
Old 05-22-2010   #122
scheides
flips McGee

Last night was busy!

I picked up a used (but good condition) Magnaflow catback from Ron @ RS Motors (off of his X) on wednesday. This thing looks identical to the Buschur Crossflow catback I had my heat set on--it even has the neckdown near the cat cut off for full 3" pipe all the way through.

Also picked up a megan testpipe from MAP. I've been reading on the X forums a lot lately and it is insane the amount of newbness that people pride themselves in. Preferring to pay for quality and guaranteed fitment over price, blah blah blah. Some parts are kinda the exception to the rule, and this is one of them. $130 on MAP's site, I got a package discount with a few other things, insane bang/buck:

While the exhaust was off, I slapped in my Beatrush rear diff bushings from my crashed evo8. Beatrush lists the same part number for both, and voila, they fit great!

Beatrush on the left, stock on the right:

10 minute install, very worth it:

Next I scooted forward and ripped out the stock driveshaft bushings and replaced them one by one with the Beatrush propellershaft bushings I salvaged from my crashed flipmobile:

Little bit of lube on the hangers and everything was snug and fit perfect. This exhaust curves down ever-so-slightly to provide more clearance for the carrier bearings, but as luck would have it, it slightly scrapes ever-so-slightly in my tiny non-steep driveway, despite missing the big muffler right in the middle.

Next, around to the front of the car:

AMS Front motor mount insert (street, 70 durometer). No press needed, just a sawzall to cut the old bushing out and a 5 pound hammer (with TKR driving it!)to get the new one in. The car was already in the air, literally 5-minute install once the bushing was in the mount, 3 bolts.

Lastly a quick oil change (for good measure, enough else has gone wrong on this car) and then off for some testing! Ended up turning the MBC down 1/3 of a turn for ~26psi peak. The front motor mount and bushings made a pretty insane difference, the shifting feels fantastic. There is a *tish* more vibration in the cabin but it is hardly noticable. I ended up bumping up the idle by 100rpm just to see if I could get it to go away, and it helped. Anna commented, but said she didn't hate it.

I also deleted the rear o2 sensor and installed my wideband sensor from the LC-1 (again, from the crashed 8). I'll wire that up next week, for now its just plumbed in and no CEL yet (I disabled ecu options #2, bit 1), we'll see what happens in the future. The ability to log right through the ECU will be way worth this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #123
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Awesome round of mods!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #124
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Coming together nicely Scheides, looking good!

I was busy modding my new Accord today, tracking down wiring issues and vehicle speeds sensor issues, lol.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #125
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post

I've been reading on the X forums a lot lately and it is insane the amount of newbness that people pride themselves in. Preferring to pay for quality and guaranteed fitment over price, blah blah blah. Some parts are kinda the exception to the rule, and this is one of them. $130 on MAP's site, I got a package discount with a few other things, insane bang/buck:
Big surprise

Quote:
I ended up bumping up the idle by 100rpm just to see if I could get it to go away, and it helped. Anna commented, but said she didn't hate it.
haha, Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Awesome round of mods man, its always the small stuff that makes the biggest difference! Also, no need to break the bank on a 2' chunk of pipe with a flange on either end. Expensive parts are overrated anyways

Quote:
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #126
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

Glad to see people understand the importance of stiff bushings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #127
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Looking good! How does is the Exhaust note of the new exhaust set up? Is it louder with the test pipe, or does the cross flow quiet it down alot.
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #128
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Lookin sweet!

Didnt like the old exhaust? I thought it was decent and quiet for being pretty straight through. It did rattle somewhere though.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #129
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose0529 View Post
Looking good! How does is the Exhaust note of the new exhaust set up? Is it louder with the test pipe, or does the cross flow quiet it down alot.
The car is def louder, but not much. It has that deepness to it now that I was missing. Cruising/freeway it is extremely quiet compared to a lot of typical setups. For now, it is just right. If I get sick of it I'll throw in a resonated testpipe or something, but as of now it is *quieter* than my evo8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Lookin sweet!

Didnt like the old exhaust? I thought it was decent and quiet for being pretty straight through. It did rattle somewhere though.
The quality was decent but for the price I got the magnaflow for and the fact that it was closer to the setup I wanted, I jumped on it. I was pulling the exhaust apart anyways for the testpipe/wideband install so I just went for it. I'm super happy.

Only snag is that the magnaflow provides a little more clearance for the carrier bearings, so it has been scraping a little right in the middle. Once I get the suspension addressed that should be no problem.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 05-24-2010   #130
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I agree with hughes, looks like its coming along great.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #131
Murlo26

I wish i could say the same about my car when I added a testpipe, my shit got really loud at that point.
Old 05-24-2010   #132
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I wish i could say the same about my car when I added a testpipe, my shit got really loud at that point.
Which catback do you have?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #133
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Which catback do you have?
Buschur Bullet
Old 05-24-2010   #134
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Looking good Scheides!
Magnaflow cat back is good stuff, +1 on the quiet at cruise. The tone does change a bit once you get some miles on it. I dont think Ron had that on his car very long. So it may get a titch louder.

I still think you are going to need to change the title of this thread from beaterx to ballerx because of that sweet leather interior. haha!
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #135
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Looking good Scheides!
Magnaflow cat back is good stuff, +1 on the quiet at cruise. The tone does change a bit once you get some miles on it. I dont think Ron had that on his car very long. So it may get a titch louder.

I still think you are going to need to change the title of this thread from beaterx to ballerx because of that sweet leather interior. haha!
Agreed, he has bluetooth and leather, he is the biggest Baller out of the X's now !
Old 05-24-2010   #136
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Agreed, he has bluetooth and leather, he is the biggest Baller out of the X's now !
Muahahah, you guys admit defeat so easily! Let me fix the body and get some real mods done first....it will always be a beater in my mind
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-24-2010   #137
Murlo26

Quote:
Muahahah, you guys admit defeat so easily! Let me fix the body and get some real mods done first....it will always be a beater in my mind
Define beater, lol. Mine doesn't even run! You are several steps up on me
Old 05-24-2010   #138
scheides
flips McGee

Oh, a beater must run, and even if it runs poorly you still rock it, as it is your transportation. You abuse it and don't worry about breaking it, but at the same time, get it back on the road quickly if something happens. Mods stay conservative, because the thing will never make anything crazy powerwise. Just buy it cheap and keep it cheap!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-24-2010   #139
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Quote:

LOL, Just wait till you get the baby mod! That is as baller as it gets ..HAHA!

I do hear ya, and I also agree, but as they say one mans junk is another mans treasure, this car has already come a long way from the intial pictures.

Last edited by simulatedwood; 05-24-2010 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: I cant spell for @#$!
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #140
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
LOL, Just wait till you get the baby mod! That is as baller as it gets ..HAHA!

I do hear ya, and I also agree, but as they say one mans junk is another mans treasure, this car has already come a long way from the intial pictures.
Ask Anna when the baby mod is coming and you'll likely get slapped and kicked in the balls.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote