MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2010   #461
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires
Re: Dave's Evo X Build

Like others have suggested, I think to realistically evaluate your options, you should lower the amount you expect to get for the car with a blown motor. If you may only get 16-18k for the car with the blown motor, does that change your mind? If so, cut to the chase and move forward with those possible numbers in mind.

I agree with those in this thread saying the expectations of what could be had for an X with a blown motor are high. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what mods, how you treated it, or how much time/labor is into a car. In the end, it is going to take a new owner time/labor and money to just get it running. With that, it has to be a great deal for someone to get into that situation instead of spending a little more money and buying a perfectly good/running X(or IV for that matter).

Very simply, blown motor car + parts and labor cannot equal or come close to a good running cars value. It has to be a "deal" to someone for this car to sell.

Only making all these statements to help you with your decision.. I think this may change your view of the situation a bit?
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #462
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

^Well I have been thinking all day about what everyone has said etc etc.

And as I said before I have been swaying back and forth since the motor went....

Since you guys are outside the car, by that I mean you don't have anything invested into and can make a clear decision about it and give me a no BS assessment on what it should be worth I need to listen.

That being said I now have two options in my mind...put a stock motor back in it and put it back to stock and sell it. In that case i think 27ish would be reasonable. However then it will be tough explaining to whoever wants it why it has a new motor in it and no matter what I say they won't believe me. So like you guys say, i will then need to lower it to get what I want out of it. In which case I mind as well of sold it for 16-17k and cut my losses rather then trying to sell it fixed up.

Option 2, suck it up, buy a car to get me by for now (which has to be done for either scenario) and tow that shit to DB/MAP to start pulling the motor and assess the situation.

Still nothing is 100% obviously, but I will say this...

From the very start I told myself if I was going to do any work on it, meaning fixing the motor/building it, i was not going to put it back to a stock block...

So that kind of makes my decision for me i guess.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #463
Murlo26

Oh, also, I appreciate your guys' insight, this is a tough time for me and tough to make any decisions flat out about anything but I think i will get there soon.
Old 05-07-2010   #464
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Option 2, suck it up, buy a car to get me by for now (which has to be done for either scenario) and tow that shit to DB/MAP to start pulling the motor and assess the situation.
Have you explored alternatives to buying a temporary car? My Dad had two and loaned me one for free. Maybe you know somebody with multiple cars that could rent you one for cheap for a few months?

If you decide to rebuild then you should look for ways to postpone expenses like a 2nd car...at least until Fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Also, what's with this $60k comment? That's kinda a half-truth.
He wouldn't be that into it if he just dropped in another stock motor. If he pulls a Lomker then it's a piece of cake.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!

Last edited by mlomker; 05-07-2010 at 01:12 PM..
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #465
Murlo26

Well my temp car as of now is my buddy's Dodge stratus (hes the guy that was with us Lomker with the G8). I just spoke with him about arranging a rental for it, probably a few hundred bucks for the whole time i have it or monthly like 50 or something.

So if i can use his stratus, i am in business.

SIDE NOTE: UPDATE....

I have thought about this every way possible...logically, mathematically, financially and emotionally...the two options that were narrowed down were make my car stock, part it out and drive it that way or build the bastard. Since I obviously wasn't happen with the car at stock levels and I don't want to loss thousands of dollars... i have landed on this..

Keep it and build it! So now the fun begins...going to try and tow it somewhere next week and figure out a final parts list and who will do the work and what is still good on the car. I love both MAP and DB and it will be hard to choose between the two and I will feel bad for who I don't chose since they both gave me very solid quotes and I try to spread my love equally.

Also I will probably be selling my Fpred (assuming it is still good)to help fund the project since I will need all the funds i can get. So yes I will have a fully built motor capable of like 650-700whp no problem running the stock turbo for a while
Old 05-07-2010   #466
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

YAY!!! Can't wait to see this beast when your done!! Very interested to see what the cause is when you rip into it! I would have ripped into it by now to have a look around!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #467
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose0529 View Post
YAY!!! Can't wait to see this beast when your done!! Very interested to see what the cause is when you rip into it! I would have ripped into it by now to have a look around!
Tomorrow I am going to start cleaning it up and taking the undertray off to see the carnage more closely. I got it up on jackstands already.
Old 05-07-2010   #468
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

^Give me a shout if you want a hand or something.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #469
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
^Give me a shout if you want a hand or something.
Will do, thanks for the offer.

I don't want to get too crazy since the car will be moving, hopefully soon so don't want to take all sorts of crap off.

But thanks again and if I see something i want to investigate and need some help i will post up.
Old 05-07-2010   #470
t-revzr
FLOSSEN

Drives: 2011 corolla turbo S

Awesome Dave glad you are keepin it! I wanna stop over tomorrow and take a look at it if you dont care?
t-revzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #471
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Good to hear. Let us know when you need a hand.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #472
Murlo26

Sure thing, toss me a text, 651-269-4715.

I will hopefully be up sometime kind of early. Tomorrow yard work needs to happen since all of my yard repair money is going into the car now.

After some yard work I will take a crack at cleaning the X engine bay a bit and pulling the undertray off to look at the air vent i created.
Old 05-07-2010   #473
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

I would have had the head off by now, myself...no doubt. Can't hurt it anymore at this point.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!

Last edited by mlomker; 05-07-2010 at 04:53 PM..
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #474
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
I would have had the head off by now, myself...no doubt. Can't hurt it anymore at this point.
True, but I have been pretty bummed this last week so i haven't felt like doing anything with it.
Old 05-10-2010   #475
Murlo26

Well i am going to tow my car up to DB this saturday during the dyno day. I will be up there anyway so figured i would kill two birds with one stone.

I spoke with Danny again and he made a lot of sense and seems very direct and honest about why he suggested what he did.

I feel like Chris may be mad at me a bit since I didn't chose MAP but the way that danny quoted the build made more sense to me.

MAP's labor costs were considerably higher because they were factoring in a bore and hone of the block. If i went with a used core that would make sense, but Danny suggested we just go with a new OEM shortblock and then Mitsubishi does all that Machine work anyway. He said he would check clearances and file down the rings and everything so we should be good to go.

I don't think MAP's way was bad just unnecessary if you have a new block. Otherwise no one would be able to do drop in's ever if they had to bore/hone the motor.

Regardless, I spoke with another Mechanic, one of my best friends who has an SR20det'ed 240 which is very similar to the 4b11t and he said the stock shortblock that is new would work perfect and that is what he would recommend.

So it is decided. I apologized to Chris for any nonsense I created but I have given them a lot of business already, as well as DB, so now it is time to get down to business and start this project up.

I will probably get my diff pins upgrading while the motor is out too as a side note.

Also talked with my bank on friday and they are going to give me a loan based on the car as collateral. since with my super low interest rate on the X a refinance wouldn't make sense.

Lets do eeetttt.
Old 05-10-2010   #476
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Well, game on then! Getting the head ported while its off?

Last edited by Kracka; 05-10-2010 at 03:43 PM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #477
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I feel like Chris may be mad at me a bit since I didn't chose MAP but the way that danny quoted the build made more sense to me.

MAP's labor costs were considerably higher because they were factoring in a bore and hone of the block. If i went with a used core that would make sense, but Danny suggested we just go with a new OEM shortblock and then Mitsubishi does all that Machine work anyway. He said he would check clearances and file down the rings and everything so we should be good to go.

I don't think MAP's way was bad just unnecessary if you have a new block. Otherwise no one would be able to do drop in's ever if they had to bore/hone the motor.
I'm not mad sir lol, the truth is we're months out on labor anyways I just wanted to get another Evo X build under our belt so we could further the market those services on a national and international level.

To clear things up, we were also open to using a new stock block to avoid the machining costs. I simply had to warn you that aftermarket pistons generally run larger piston to wall clearances and that we wouldn't know for sure that no additional hone would be necessary until we had all of the parts spec'd out. If you recall you were the one that didn't want any additional charges popping up down the line
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!
v8klla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #478
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Badass, you going to tear it apart before hand?

Don't worry about who u picked to do the work, its a nature of the business, but you got your point across about being a thoughtful customer.

Congrats on your decision to keep the car hopefully you won't try to push it this time and get to enjoy it a lot longer.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #479
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8klla View Post
I'm not mad sir lol, the truth is we're months out on labor anyways I just wanted to get another Evo X build under our belt so we could further the market those services on a national and international level.

To clear things up, we were also open to using a new stock block to avoid the machining costs. I simply had to warn you that aftermarket pistons generally run larger piston to wall clearances and that we wouldn't know for sure that no additional hone would be necessary until we had all of the parts spec'd out. If you recall you were the one that didn't want any additional charges popping up down the line
Well thanks for clearing it up, it honestly wasn't an easy decision for me and I respect your honesty. I think truly the reason I ended up at DB was simply because I have Shane tune the car, so it would be easier to have one shop do the work and if something went wrong it wasn't a who's to blame thing.

I am happy that you don't hold a grudge, thank you for that. As I had said before, I like both shops very much. I guess it seemed through our emails/talks that you guys would've preferred to play it safe and bore/hone the motor. Obviously there is significant cost associated with that.

Regardless, thank you for your time Chris, i really do appreciate it.
Old 05-10-2010   #480
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Badass, you going to tear it apart before hand?

Don't worry about who u picked to do the work, its a nature of the business, but you got your point across about being a thoughtful customer.

Congrats on your decision to keep the car hopefully you won't try to push it this time and get to enjoy it a lot longer.
Pictures and a wtf happened will ensue yes.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.