MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2010   #421
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build

Even the X when i had it running perfect, still felt heavy.

I love the car, but i don't want to push another stock motor on it and i don't want to have a stock motor setup on one.

So i am faced with...sell the car and go something else or build the motor to handle the power i want out of it.

I just think that a nice 9 on e85 stock motor/turbo would be the perfect setup of fast and it would probably be able to get that for a wash of everything I have right now with selling parts etc.

I am still not set on anything, but this is what I am leaning towards. If I get a buyer for the X at a price I feel comfortable with, it will be gone.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #422
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

I'm definitely not in the market, but what's a range you'd be comfortable with?
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #423
Murlo26

Re: Evo X upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
I think the stock Evo alignment is done by a blind guy with a hammer.

--
Put 150 miles on it yesterday getting my Dad's car back to him. Next oil change today.

The additional lag makes 5th gear easier to deal with.
I agree with both these statements.

Sadly I just got my car aligned by jeff last friday before my motor blew, it felt great at the time
Old 05-07-2010   #424
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I agree with both these statements.

Sadly I just got my car aligned by jeff last friday before my motor blew, it felt great at the time
Just think, you'll be able to enjoy this alignment once you get your motor back together
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #425
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Just think, you'll be able to enjoy this alignment once you get your motor back together
I am leaning towards letting someone else enjoy it
Old 05-07-2010   #426
scheides
flips McGee

FWIW, far more 4G63's have broken than 4b11's, so I hope you're not planning on gaining a bunch of reliability by going that route Just get a longblock from mitsu, have shane put some drop-ins in it(like our man mike here), your cams, and some valvesprings, and get back on the road!
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 05-07-2010   #427
Murlo26

Quote:
FWIW, far more 4G63's have broken than 4b11's, so I hope you're not planning on gaining a bunch of reliability by going that route
We should take this discussion to my thread

Not as far as pushing the limits...but i plan to be satisfied with a 9 stock turbo e85 setup.

And if I did want more, before i went to a bigger turbo i would build the damn thing. No more pushing limits for me. Longer safer route from now on.
Old 05-07-2010   #428
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
but i plan to be satisfied with a 9 stock turbo e85 setup.
Excuse me while I laugh. I've never seen you satisfied before.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #429
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
We should take this discussion to my thread
Done

I put 20k miles on my evo8 @420whp on the stock bottom end, and I'm planning on doing the same with my X. Still, there is a line that gets crossed, and its not obvious until you've seen the wrong side of it.

I still think there is something to blame other than the tune/power/torque man. A bad injector, a line or two coming loose (did you check the FPR line yet?), a loose coupler, etc.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-07-2010   #430
Murlo26

GOOD GOD...AM I THAT TIRED FROM IRON MAN 2 Last night?

Scheides did you move stuff from Lomker's thread to mine or am i going crazy? I am really tired btw.

Quote:
I know, because the X just never impressed me damn it. That is why i had 180 dyno runs on it. It was getting close with my last setup but I still wanted more. Very close.

But honestly, since Scheides had a 432whp lighter 8 with the 4g63 and drove mine at it's peak.

Do you really feel that my car felt as fast Scheides? I personally feel the extra weight is very noticeable.
Old 05-07-2010   #431
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
LOL, mike remember dave doesn't swing like that

But yea, its true. Stock turbo is a lot of fun, but you'll always be looking ahead for more more more.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-07-2010   #432
Murlo26

Quote:
Quote:
Done

I put 20k miles on my evo8 @420whp on the stock bottom end, and I'm planning on doing the same with my X. Still, there is a line that gets crossed, and its not obvious until you've seen the wrong side of it.

I still think there is something to blame other than the tune/power/torque man. A bad injector, a line or two coming loose (did you check the FPR line yet?), a loose coupler, etc.
Yup, I checked all the lines, they looked good...weew, thank god. Glad you moved it, i thought i was going crazy.
Old 05-07-2010   #433
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
Do you really feel that my car felt as fast.
I never rode in scheides' car. As mentioned in the 'fast car' thread, yours is the fastest car I've ever been in. Maybe one of these days one of the guys with a DSM beast will take me for a spin.

Old 05-07-2010   #434
Murlo26

Quote:
LOL, mike remember dave doesn't swing like that

But yea, its true. Stock turbo is a lot of fun, but you'll always be looking ahead for more more more.
True, but talking to Ron made me realize I am not crazy. He agreed that a 380whp (that is what his X was making before he put it back to stock) X was just not nearly as fast as a 380whp 8/9.

He said they felt completely different and thought i would be happier in the 9 with my power hungry attitude.

I am still not saying I am going with anything yet, in fact just last night i convinced myself to build the X, or so i thought. Now when i woke up 180 degree switch. It is a very big decision for me, not going to happen just yet.

That is why I figured I would ask you scheides to see what you think.
Old 05-07-2010   #435
scheides
flips McGee

I thought your car felt just as fast as my car with the BBK on alky, just not quite as torquey and I could tell the BCS was slowing the spool (after a shift) a bit, but that's the ecu-geek in me over-analyzing. X also needs NLTS asap. My X honestly does not feel any more heavy than my SSL Evo8, and feels just as (if not more) nimble through the corners, even on snow tires. Once I get a few more power mods done on mine, we'll do some testing & comparing sessions with a few other cars and see what's what in the real world.

There is definitely a certain rawness that the X lacks that my 8 had, but I keep thinking about all the little stuff I did to the 8 to make it what it was: rear diff bushings, properllershaft bushings, short shifter and associated bushings, front motor mount, etc etc etc. When I get all of this kind of stuff on my new car I'm praying hughes still owns his IX (we had sooo many of the same mods, such good combos) so I can fly down, take it for a spin, and re-ponder this.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-07-2010   #436
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
That is why I figured I would ask you scheides to see what you think.
Perhaps we should do a poll.

1) Fix the X.
2) Buy a IX.
3) STFU with all the waffling.

Old 05-07-2010   #437
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

You guys are getting messed up by trying to be quick as someone else. Build your car slowly and enjoy it, once you get used to it, you will want more its natural.

Obviously you know you want it to be decently quick but take your time and enjoy it.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #438
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #439
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

#3, I love waffles!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #440
Murlo26

Quote:
I thought your car felt just as fast as my car with the BBK on alky, just not quite as torquey and I could tell the BCS was slowing the spool (after a shift) a bit, but that's the ecu-geek in me over-analyzing. X also needs NLTS asap. My X honestly does not feel any more heavy than my SSL Evo8, and feels just as (if not more) nimble through the corners, even on snow tires. Once I get a few more power mods done on mine, we'll do some testing & comparing sessions with a few other cars and see what's what in the real world.

There is definitely a certain rawness that the X lacks that my 8 had, but I keep thinking about all the little stuff I did to the 8 to make it what it was: rear diff bushings, properllershaft bushings, short shifter and associated bushings, front motor mount, etc etc etc. When I get all of this kind of stuff on my new car I'm praying hughes still owns his IX (we had sooo many of the same mods, such good combos) so I can fly down, take it for a spin, and re-ponder this.
Honestly that day my X wasn't doing the in between shift lag nearly as bad as it normally was but maybe i should just go with a MBC until NLTS comes.

It has been so long since I had my 8 that I can't remember, but from what I do remember, the 8 felt quicker, probably the torque, but it just had a different feel to it. I agree the X feels way better turning, but if you look at the power band of say Jim's FPred car vs. mine, my car spools sooner by quite a bit, so low end is better, but his midrange somehow passes mine up and then the x repasses at the top. So this is probably why the 8/9's feel faster, because on the street that latter spool is actually what you see on the street since most people downshift so it's more in the powerband.

Ron's opinion and observations still are weighing heavily on me right now. I know I will always want more, its the nature of the game, but I am so nervous that I will build the motor and then that will blow and then I am totally fucked. I mean 9 grand to build a motor, plus i need to buy a beater for the time being...it is so much damn money on cars it's crazy.

Obviously I could put a stock motor back in for quite a bit cheaper. But then the natural course of wanting more would set in and I would end up paying for labor twice, and that is a lot of labor. So i don't think it makes sense to not build the motor to keep the X.

The thing that appeals to me the most about going to the 9 is the plethora of options, the already very well documented abilities and what each mod does and obviously the lighter chassis, since if anything the drag strip is more my style. Not to mention after all is said and done, if I picked up a 9 with decent mods on it for 23-25k, and I parted the X out or got what i wanted out of it with all the mods included. I would actually not really have a car payment.

Hopefully it makes sense why I would want a 9.

Quote:
Perhaps we should do a poll.

1) Fix the X.
2) Buy a IX.
3) STFU with all the waffling.

Added..minus the third...well I am going to try

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.