MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-10-2009   #1
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Evo 8 driveshaft clunking

On the way home from work tonight my car started making a rhythmic clunking sound from underneath. It sped up as the car sped up, went away on deceleration and got loud when I stepped on the gas pedal. I immediately figured a bearing or something went out between the transfer case and rear end, hoping it wasn't either of those directly.

Here is what I found:

Here's a video of me moving the wheel back and forth and what it sounds like:
http://img513.imageshack.us/i/mvi06941.mp4/

I'm currently unsure exactly what this is, seems to be just a coupler between the shafts like an axle cup. Hopefully it's nothing catastrophic.

I guess I'll tear it apart and see what I find and hopefully Mitsubishi has parts or can get them in a short amount of time. Guess it's time to find that winter beater/daily driver I've been casually browsing for.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #2
t-revzr
FLOSSEN

Drives: 2011 corolla turbo S
Re: Evo 8 driveshaft clunking

Hmmm hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds cause that clunking sounds horrible.
t-revzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #3
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Ouch, that sucks. I'd imagine a driveshaft shop should be able to replace that joint, otherwise find a used driveshaft in a part-out on EvoM. Good time to upgrade to a lightweight unit possibly?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #4
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Ouch, that sucks. I'd imagine a driveshaft shop should be able to replace that joint, otherwise find a used driveshaft in a part-out on EvoM. Good time to upgrade to a lightweight unit possibly?
I'm guessing parts from Mitsubishi would be over $100 easy, the aluminum 2-piece from AWD Motorsports is $700 (http://www.awdmotorsports.com/awdmoaldr.html) assuming my core is worth anything to them.

The bad part is this is my only car and I'm not driving it as it is. Thankfully it's Friday tomorrow so I can take the weekend and get this figured out. Already found a couple Cherokees I like, hopefully can pick something up this weekend.

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 12-10-2009   #5
scheides
flips McGee

Bah don't go buy a new car just cause there's a problem with the evo, should be an easy fix. I'm sure someone has a spare set of wheels you can borrow while you get it fixed! The driveshaft comes off in like 10 nuts/bolts and it should be pretty easy to identify where exactly the problem is.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #6
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Bah don't go buy a new car just cause there's a problem with the evo, should be an easy fix.
If it was an easy fix it would be fixed already. I don't have to justify why I feel I should have a second vehicle.

Quote:
Old 12-10-2009   #7
scheides
flips McGee

^heh up to you man!

Where is the clanking coming from, can you pinpoint it? Does it look like the different sections of the driveshaft are partially uncoupled or loose? Did you check all of the driveshaft joints? There's a few spots with 4 nuts/bolts, two like you pictured, and then the xfercase yolk.
Old 12-11-2009   #8
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

I checked the carrier bearings, those boots/bushings are good and tight. I wiggled every section of the driveshaft and that is where the noise is coming from. There is a small but noticeable amount of play between the two sections in that "cup" where the seal is obviously busted.

Since the day I bought the car it had always made a noise under deceleration, but not always. And sometimes when I would start accelerating then quick get on the clutch and brake. Well, I guess I figured it out.

Quote:
Old 12-11-2009   #9
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Nice, I have always had a second vehicle since getting back into DSMs (3 years ago) until now.
I can say that it is awesome, i know when Im ready to get another (when I'm home for good) That it will be a pickup so that I move shit easier for the house and car, trying to stuff parts into a corolla is fun, but kinda sucks been a few times if i had more room or towing ability I could get some cool free/cheap shit.

Did you find out how much a stock part would be? any chance to get one used from those that have upgraded? or you going to upgrade?
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #10
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

+1 for getting another vehicle. Scheides says you don't need one, but he must forget that he in fact has a 2nd vehicle he has access to when his breaks (his wifes VW) . When you are single, and you mod your only car, and it breaks, you are eff'd.

Interested in a 06 Saab?

Good luck with the driveshaft. Wonder if there's anyone semi-local that has a used one for sale.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #11
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Good luck with the driveshaft. Wonder if there's anyone semi-local that has a used one for sale.
This is more what I was getting at, but yes I do have a spare set of wheels in dire circumstance.

Dizzle, I couldn't quite see the tear in the boot, did you hit something that caused it to go out, or maybe just this cold snap finally taking its toll on some of the lubrication in there.

When you put the new one in, pick up beatrush solid aluminum bushings, you'll be shocked how shitty the stock bushings are when you take it apart. LMK if you need a garage and a hand fixing this; I lent out my heaters to a buddy but could prolly get them back w/o too much trouble.
Old 12-11-2009   #12
2zzgtte
The Russian Stub

Drives: 2001 Celica, 2005 Evo

Wow, hella gay dude.

I have a clunking coming from under my evo when I brake and start coming to a stop... Wonder if this could be the same?

I found this thread on EvolutionM that has been going on for a long time, and they say that Evo's are notorious for "clunking" sounds...
2zzgtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #13
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Dizzle, I couldn't quite see the tear in the boot, did you hit something that caused it to go out, or maybe just this cold snap finally taking its toll on some of the lubrication in there.

When you put the new one in, pick up beatrush solid aluminum bushings, you'll be shocked how shitty the stock bushings are when you take it apart. LMK if you need a garage and a hand fixing this; I lent out my heaters to a buddy but could prolly get them back w/o too much trouble.
This is facing the rear so I doubt something hit it. Where would you order Beatrush stuff from?

Quote:
Old 12-11-2009   #14
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Jeep, 2nd vehicle? Why not get a spare evo as a 2nd vehicle?

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #15
scheides
flips McGee

201 motorsports, but they're closed now (apparently).

MAP carries Beatrush stuff now, talk to them. They're called 'propeller shaft bushings'

While you're down there, get the beatrush rear diff bushings spacers. They firm up the rear end (but don't make it too firm) and take literally 10 minutes to install after a liberal dose of PB Blaster is applied. I got these as a gift from a good friend last year and even got help installing them, it was a cinch!

I did both of these in the last year and the positive response of the rear end is a big step forward from the stock mushy setup.
Old 12-11-2009   #16
2zzgtte
The Russian Stub

Drives: 2001 Celica, 2005 Evo

I looked for Beatrush products on MAP's website and I cannot find any... Well, they have them but they are not bushings or spacers. All they have is like a motor mount, and some STI stuff... I would like to do the Bushings and the spacers. That sounds like a good, cheap mod!
2zzgtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #17
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Call, PM, or email MAP, they can get the full Beatrush product line.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #18
scheides
flips McGee

+1, I know they can get it
Old 12-12-2009   #19
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

I found used driveshafts for reasonable prices, but they're all many states away. I moved the car last night and it didn't make a sound, so I don't know what to think about it now.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2009   #20
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

It's a car problem, I don't know if you've ever had one of those before, but it can be there sometimes, and other times you won't notice them.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote