MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 05-20-2005   #21
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638
Re: Brake Pad Suggestions

..another thing to keep in mind, atleast with higher speeds, is what rotor you are using. See, racecars run drilled and slotted rotors..some strip, and street cars run just slotted rotors, and stock cars run stock regular rotors. brakes must operate at their optimum temperature to work correctly. So, those who go out and buy drilled and slotted rotors and slap them on, can actually suffer, since they usually only drive in the street. Now, the holes and slots in that rotor is to expel that gas that builds up when braking. Heat causes these gas pockets, and by ridding some of that heat, you rid the gas. Without that, your pad doesn't actually contact your rotor, but rather is spaced out by this gas pocket. That's where you get poor braking results at a high speed. I bet if you where to swap those rotors to some slotted ones (DON'T do drilled) you would feel much better stopping power. I can say that I've learned this stuff first-hand, with experimenting on my uncle's mustang. I can say also that I would NOT recommend swapping the rotors to a cross-drilled or slotted setup unless you are driving that fast all the time, and/or are using the car as a track beast. I can also say, from experiences in the past that the rotors that are drilled or slotted can warp easier too..Just thought I'd share that tidbit of info..case ya care..

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #22
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: Brake Pad Suggestions

I agree with some of what you say Swifty, but slotted rotors are fine for street use. There isn't a difference from a stock one as far as stopping power. The slotted ones also tend to warp LESS than a stock one. If you want some really good rotors that resist warping, get the power slots. I run them on all my cars with small front brakes. They never warp on me, where the stockers would.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote