MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 05-04-2017   #21
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo
Re: Project DSM-NonGM

Nice, looks good!

I ran a small lawn mower battery from fleet farm in my 2g for a few years I think back in the day. I remember it being pretty cheap but don't remember it being the best in super cold weather. Maybe worth looking into if you need a new battery as a small oddesy sounds spendy lol
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #22
AwdGSX13

Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
Nice, looks good!

I ran a small lawn mower battery from fleet farm in my 2g for a few years I think back in the day. I remember it being pretty cheap but don't remember it being the best in super cold weather. Maybe worth looking into if you need a new battery as a small oddesy sounds spendy lol
Thanks! Yeah, they are similar in pricing to a normal battery i suppose, $100 - 110 from what I have seen. Any idea which brand battery you were using?

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
AwdGSX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #23
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Nice! Not sure how I missed a clean 1G build.

I've gone the lightweight battery and then the lawnmower battery route, I'd recommend against it unless you drive your car every single day.

Getting rid of the ABS was one of the better mods I ever did, it was horrible from the factory. You just need the two front lines and the distribution block, I think everything else lined right up. It also gets rid of 10-15 pounds if you also take out the wiring and module in the passenger side quarter panel.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #24
AwdGSX13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
Nice! Not sure how I missed a clean 1G build.

I've gone the lightweight battery and then the lawnmower battery route, I'd recommend against it unless you drive your car every single day.

Getting rid of the ABS was one of the better mods I ever did, it was horrible from the factory. You just need the two front lines and the distribution block, I think everything else lined right up. It also gets rid of 10-15 pounds if you also take out the wiring and module in the passenger side quarter panel.
Your saying not to use either lightweight or lawn mower? I probably won't be driving every day since I work in Saint Paul. Probably only a few times a week i'm guessing or weekends.

ExtremePSI makes a nice kit for the ABS removal which comes with the front lines and proportioning valve. Not sure the ABS even works lol, the weight reduction and space is more important to me i suppose and to help clean up the engine bay.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 05-04-2017   #25
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

1G ABS was horrible/dangerous.

The mini Hawker and Odyssey batteries served me very well over the years.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #26
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

I run a lawnmower battery as well. They are like $30 from Fleet. Not ideal at all, but it gets the job done (barely). When I'm driving somewhere, I usually turn the stereo off a couple minutes before I get there. I think the sub/amp add a significant amount of load, and by turning them off for a couple minutes it seems to start harder next time I start it. If I don't, it still cranks over, but it is weaker. Plus my engine is bigger / heavier to turn over. You can give it a shot, worse case is you're out $30. I personally am eventually going to get a full size battery again but put it in the trunk.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #27
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Yeah, I probably went through 3-4 of the mini $100 batteries when they were the rage, then 4-5 lawnmower batteries. The fear of not starting after a show or mall run weren't worth it to me anymore.

Old 05-04-2017   #28
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

How are you guys having so many problems? My IX would start even in the dead of winter after being parked outside all night in below-zero temps with aftermarket cams and injectors. Scheides left his VIII parked outside in the winter for a week once while out of town and had no issues either.
Old 05-04-2017   #29
AwdGSX13

All interesting points, the good news is it wont be driven during the winter and will be on a battery tender but definitely don't want to drive around with a jump pack everywhere. Probably will still give it a shot so that I can drop the battery down and clear up a bit more in the engine bay.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 05-04-2017   #30
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

I just went with the smallest normal battery I knew of. Which is a 51r(I believe this was the oem size in Integras back in the day).
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #31
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Or get a lithium iron and have the cranking power of a full size with less weight than a lawn mower battery.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #32
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Saving 15-20 lbs just doesnt seem worth it to me. Full size battery in the corvette is pretty small and was like 100 bucks, I think its like 25lbs or so, seems lighter than others ive had in the past.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #33
AwdGSX13

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Saving 15-20 lbs just doesnt seem worth it to me. Full size battery in the corvette is pretty small and was like 100 bucks, I think its like 25lbs or so, seems lighter than others ive had in the past.
Weight isn't really that important, but the slim batteries can be dropped down on the sub frame and just basically out of the way. May just look into putting the battery in the trunk as well and keep a full size. Surprisingly my battery did take the charge so ill see once i'm able to run and get a gas can/gas if it starts or if it's dead again.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 05-05-2017   #34
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Ahh yea thats right, lowering it down is nice to open up some room. Id probably opt for the trunk configuration, loved that in the M3. Came that way factory. Batteries last longer too away from all the heat of the engine.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #35
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Yeah I hear ya. For my DSM as well as my SC300, it's a size/space thing not so much a weight thing. I ran an Odyssey battery once. It worked about as well as my lawn mower one did, and lasted one season also just like my lawn mower battery. So at the end of the day I just stuck with the $30 lawn mower one. I dunno if it's because I run dual fuel pumps, and a stereo with a sub/amp bumping constantly that maybe drains mine faster than others, or maybe my slightly larger engine just takes more juice to turn over. My car always starts in the summer, but it doesn't crank as hard in a parking lot as it does in my garage after sitting on a tender. Not a big deal, but it's noticeable and makes you definitely think about it and make sure you don't accidentally leave a dome light on or something.

I don't know on DSM's because I've never done it, but relocating to the rear in the SC is actually very easy I've come to find out. So I'm definitely going to do that one of these days when it reaches the top of my to-do list so I can run a more normal sized battery again.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017   #36
AwdGSX13

Well the car is alive, picked up some 93 from a shell down the street and with a little cranking the car started and surprisingly idled pretty good. Im getting some chatter from what im guessing is the lifters because they need to be pumped up and have been sitting for so long.(Went away). Few small things to fix up. Mount my catch can and should be good to go for June.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL

Last edited by AwdGSX13; 05-06-2017 at 03:58 PM..
Old 05-06-2017   #37
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwdGSX13 View Post
Weight isn't really that important, but the slim batteries can be dropped down on the sub frame and just basically out of the way. May just look into putting the battery in the trunk as well and keep a full size. Surprisingly my battery did take the charge so ill see once i'm able to run and get a gas can/gas if it starts or if it's dead again.
The 51r I mentioned fits down on the subframe, that's where mine is.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017   #38
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
How are you guys having so many problems? My IX would start even in the dead of winter after being parked outside all night in below-zero temps with aftermarket cams and injectors. Scheides left his VIII parked outside in the winter for a week once while out of town and had no issues either.
DSM vs Evo. DSM's seem to have many more issues in the charging system than Evo's. I guess I never really had too many issues with either, but I've only had full size batteries in all my cars. I plan on running a full size in the Talon, but dropped to the subframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017   #39
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwdGSX13 View Post
Well the car is alive, picked up some 93 from a shell down the street and with a little cranking the car started and surprisingly idled pretty good. Im getting some chatter from what im guessing is the lifters because they need to be pumped up and have been sitting for so long.(Went away). Few small things to fix up. Mount my catch can and should be good to go for June.
WooHoo! Great to hear! I didn't realize Shells were carrying 93 up there, but cool you found it.
Old 05-08-2017   #40
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

I had a full size in the back in a Moroso box, then moved it up to the subframe as well. It was nice having it out of the way. I had the whole engine bay pretty stripped down back then.

Tags
1 in the wastegate, 2 in the dump pipe, didn't learn first time, dsm on stands, mo money mo problems