MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 04-11-2017   #1
AwdGSX13

Drives: Cars
Project DSM-NonGM

Well I'm a bit bored today at work and have a little extra time. Figured you guys might be interested in my project that I have been sitting on for quite some time and to also bring a little Mitsu back to the forums.

About a year and half ago I was looking for a project car, something I could spend some free time on and also wanted a vehicle that would be a fun street car to drive during the summer. At the time I really didn't want to spend a lot of money, looking at EVO's was my first option as I really liked my 2005 I had. Realized pretty quick that pricing for a quality well kept and low mileage evo was still quite high. So after some craigslist browsing for awhile I came across this Talon, looked really nice in the photos and best of all it didn't have any rust so I went and checked it out. Now as anyone can assume on a car this age it was not in perfect shape. It had an exhaust leak and slight misfire in the higher rpm's and smoked a little bit from what appeared to be oil.

Well after consideration and a little bartering on the price I ended up coming home with this.

The mods it came with were not much, it came with HKS 272/264 cams and really crappy 'slip fit' homemade exhaust and evo 3 manifold and some guages. Still had the stock intake with the huge maf sensor. But he also threw in new intercooler piping(short route) a rebuilt "bastard 20g". A crappy a/m 2g intake with maf sensor and some evo8 injectors.

I figured since this car had never been tuned I would get everything swapped over and start with the new parts the guy had to get some more power out of this car. First I ordered the intercooler to match the piping and bought new spark plugs and ordered some exhaust gaskets to fix the leaks.Then began taking everything apart.

My brothers RX-8 in the background. Has a 13b in it and will be running a fairly large borgwarner turbo soon.

More pics of the car when I first got it are here http://mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34697

Ill keep updating this as I get more time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140808_202832_resized.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	16468   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140820_200310_resized.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	16469  

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL

Last edited by AwdGSX13; 04-11-2017 at 01:18 PM..
AwdGSX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #2
AwdGSX13

Re: Project DSM-NonGM

I ended up taking all of A/C components out with lines,compressor and condenser. May regret this down the road, but probably not.

So of course getting everything out the way I noticed the radiator was leaking, stock original radiator... go figure. So I ended up replacing with a Mishimoto aluminum with slim fans. Finally once everything showed up I put the bumper ect. back together.

Well got everything back together, put in the new turbo, injectors and ran with the 2g maf and everything actually ran really well without being tuned.

Drove it around like this for a little while. But of course in typical DSM fashion something had to go wrong. I was leaving a buddies house one day when a mustang pulled up next to me wanting to do some "testing and comparing". So I hit and literally had zero power and all I could hear was scraping. Limped it home since I was close and found this

The nut on the compressor wheel was no longer attached and just sitting inside the compressor housing and it completely destroyed the turbo(this turbo was rebuilt with zero miles from diesel components but not by me...The previous owner did some 2 years prior to me buying). Eager to get things going again I bought a 16g off a style member and was about to swap turbo's for a third time when I noticed a large amount of oil inside the manifold. Pulled off the exhaust manifold and found out a few valves were leaking causing the smoke and oil burning

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL

Last edited by AwdGSX13; 04-11-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Old 04-11-2017   #3
AwdGSX13

I'm quite lucky, a really good friend of mine had his head laying around from when he had his dsm and it had been nicely ported with 3g lifters ect which really worked out because the head I had from my car had some gouges in one of the cam journals which I was told was due to having a/m cams with original springs. I brought that head to MAP and they rebuilt everything with new springs,retainers and valves and cleaned everything up.

Head studs and cleaned up the pistons a bit.

I never did take and pictures of the porting work on the head... should have but forgot.

Also while I was waiting for the head to get back I ended up replacing the rear calipers and brakes because the E brakes were locked up on one of the sides and I couldn't use the e brake which with a manual was a major pita.

Also swapped out the oil pan because it had a huge dent, swapped out the front control arms because the bushings were old and shot and had ended up sand blasting the brkts and dip stick and then painted at the shop because why not and it was free.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL

Last edited by AwdGSX13; 04-11-2017 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: pic test
Old 04-11-2017   #4
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Looking good!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #5
AwdGSX13

Also figured I would get my new turbo figured out, I wanted something that would work well for street use, have decently quick spool time and could make around 400 awhp which is my goal at this point. I'm not sure I will meet this goal with the set up i have now, but hopefully close and when I switch to E85 with a bigger pump Ill be able to get 400whp.

Anyway the turbo I chose was the FP Green and did opt for porting, I chose this for the ability to still use stock manifold bolt pattern and o2 housing. I figured in the end it would be a bit easier.

Had to use a stock photo... Can't seem to find the one I took.

I also chose to do external wastegate and bought a jm fab o2 housing and did a tial MVS wastegate

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL

Last edited by AwdGSX13; 04-11-2017 at 01:41 PM..
Old 04-11-2017   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

FP's porting sucks and is basically nothing more than making the surface shiny with a Dremel tool. I suggest sending the housing out to get ported (and coated) elsewhere; Ruben @ SoCal Porting is my current recommendation.

https://socalporting.com/

Sexy looking o2 housing!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #7
AwdGSX13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
FP's porting sucks and is basically nothing more than making the surface shiny with a Dremel tool. I suggest sending the housing out to get ported (and coated) elsewhere; Ruben @ SoCal Porting is my current recommendation.

It looked ok when I got it, but I guess I have nothing to compare it too? Little late now as it is already installed lol

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 04-11-2017   #8
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Nevermind then

I've compared and tested most of the various porting companies over the years with Mil.Spec. MAP, Grimspeed, and SoCal Porting really being the only ones worth a damn. The problem is, 3 of these 4 no longer offer porting services due to how labor intensive it is with minimal financial return for the hours spent.

TRE's was over-rated, PPI's was average, Buschur's never went deep enough, and FP's was more of a surface polishing.

I see that Curt Brown is now offering porting services as well, but I can't speak to how thorough his work is (but I love a quote on his website). "Remember all porting is done by ME, not some $20 an hour idiot in the back room like most places!"

Last edited by Kracka; 04-11-2017 at 01:51 PM..
Old 04-11-2017   #9
AwdGSX13

Ill remember that for next time lol

Here is my wastegate set up ill be using. I think for using stock mitsu style bolt pattern that this will do nicely

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 04-11-2017   #10
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

That should be very nice! Good choice on staying internal-dump.
Old 04-11-2017   #11
AwdGSX13

Fuel Filter was also original so I figured that would also be a must to get replaced so I ordered the fuel lab kit and also since I had it out the inner ricer in me wanted to get the fuel rail painted so I did that also

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 04-11-2017   #12
AwdGSX13

Quote:
That should be very nice! Good choice on staying internal-dump.
Yeah originally it had external dump and I couldn't handle how loud it was. Rather hear more turbo than exhaust lol.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 04-11-2017   #13
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I hear that. I regretted my external dump after about 2 weeks.
Old 04-11-2017   #14
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

Looks like a pretty clean dsm. I loved my old scm61 turbo on my old dsm. I had bc 272s in mine and idled pretty good. Transmission was always my problem. I ended up going fwd since it was cheap. Excited to see you get this thing tuned and on the road. 5 speed or auto?
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #15
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Looks like it should be a killer street setup!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #16
AwdGSX13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtpeater View Post
Looks like a pretty clean dsm. I loved my old scm61 turbo on my old dsm. I had bc 272s in mine and idled pretty good. Transmission was always my problem. I ended up going fwd since it was cheap. Excited to see you get this thing tuned and on the road. 5 speed or auto?
Yeah luckily it has a straight body and no rust other than the suspension. Once everything is running good and somewhat reliable to drive I plan on getting most if not all repainted at the shop.
5 spd, going into second currently was a little iffy. But i drained some really nasty gear oil out and put some new stuff in. Hopefully that will help

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL

Last edited by AwdGSX13; 04-11-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Old 05-04-2017   #17
AwdGSX13

Well I was able to wrap everything up last night, took me a little long because the coolant return line that I was told the oem line would work with the FP turbo, did not fit at all. I ended up making my own AN braided line that worked out pretty well.

Now all I need to do is run out and pick up a new gas can and I brought my battery with me today to hopefully charge and revive it to save me a hundred bucks or so. Otherwise worse case Ill probably order an odyssey battery. Then just basically do a complete once over of everything and make sure I don't have any leaks or issues and get it ready to be tuned finally!

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL

Last edited by AwdGSX13; 05-04-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Old 05-04-2017   #18
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Looks really clean! Nice work.
Old 05-04-2017   #19
AwdGSX13

Quote:
Looks really clean! Nice work.
Thanks, once i'm able to drive and enjoy I need to work on getting rid of the massive abs module and get rid of the cruise control stuff to help clear more space.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 05-04-2017   #20
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Looks clean! Will need to see it out and about!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 in the wastegate, 2 in the dump pipe, didn't learn first time, dsm on stands, mo money mo problems