MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 12-27-2004   #1
95tsi

Drives: a pos
Springs and swaybars

I've been thinking about upgrading the springs. As of now I have some generic lowering springs (about 1" drop), but I would like somthing a bit stiffer for better handling. So, what is everyone using and how do you like it??

Also, anyone have the RM Racing swaybars? Seems to be a fairly descent set, just looking for opinions on them. Or, if they even make a noticable difference.

I already have the Tokico Illumina's and going to be installing poly bushings this spring.
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Re: Springs and swaybars

A stiffer ride will mainly come from aftermarket shocks/struts. They are what make the ride stiff, lowering springs add to the effect because their rates are greater than the factory ones. Find some nice adjustable shocks.

Depending on if you have a FWD or AWD car, choose your swaybars wisely. Most AWD cars only put in a stiffer rear swaybar, which stiffens the rear suspension helping decrease the amount of understeer that our AWD cars naturally have.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #3
LightningGSX
Hellbound

And unless you're familiar with oversteer, understeer is a very good thing.If you change front and rear swaybars you should be alright.Stiffer sway bars will noticably stiffen up the ride in general, not just reduce sway.
Old 12-27-2004   #4
scheides
flips McGee

I have suspension techniques front and rear swaybars on my 1g. They drastically reduce body roll through average to agressive cornering, which is an absolute blast. Understeer is drastically reduced in agressive and very aggressive cornering, and oversteer is easy to induce while on full power. The nicest thing about oversteering is the amount of control you have as the car comes back around. Oversteering waaaayy too much becomes almost easy to control compared to the stock swaybars; as the back end comes back around during a correction, there is much less 'snap' in the body, making it less harsh.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #5
scheides
flips McGee

Not trying to be a post whore, but be sure to get a front strut-tower bar if you don't already have one. They're cheap, and tighten up turn-in very nicely!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

You should take a look at the Tokico lowering springs to go along with those shocks, Enes on this board has them and really seems to like them. If your car is AWD, I recomend getting both the front and rear RM bars, they really make the car handle a lot nicer. I had just a rear bar (stock front) on my FWD and it handled really well; I set it up for a slight amount oversteer which I prefered compared to understeer.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #7
95tsi

Drives: a pos

Well, I'm looking for a little oversteer for control purposes. I'm thinking I'll just run the same springs I have now and add to them with the stiffer swaybars. I have yet to put in the poly bushings so that is my winter/spring project. I'm hoping it will stiffen things up quite a bit when mixed with the other pieces. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote