MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2012   #1881
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

The metal pulleys are OEM on the Hyundai 4B11s. Leave it to Mitsu to be cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #1882
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

I know all cars have problems, I was using the old DSM always break joke, apparently it isn't funny...sorry

They are simply metal replacements. The stock ones can wear funny or even wear down to where pieces break off.

They are actually OEM hyundai parts from their 4b11 motor. Most people have no issues with doing this, but mine seem to be off. It's funny Hyundai used metal though, I guess they knew what they were doing haha.

Last edited by Murlo26; 03-14-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #1883
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

5 year powertrain warranty vs 10 year.

Hyundai saved their money by putting junk parts inside their 4B11.
Old 03-14-2012   #1884
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Armando has nearly 60k miles on his '08 and his stock pulleys and belt look perfectly fine. We're going to replace the belt soon anyway as preventative maintenance and will inspect further then.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #1885
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Armando has nearly 60k miles on his '08 and his stock pulleys and belt look perfectly fine. We're going to replace the belt soon anyway as preventative maintenance and will inspect further then.
You can see very slight grooves in my OEM pulley's, as in very slight. Nothing that I think would cause any problems. That is after roughly 28k miles.
Old 03-14-2012   #1886
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
5 year powertrain warranty vs 10 year.

Hyundai saved their money by putting junk parts inside their 4B11.

So they are the same pulleys, but just metal? what is the issue if thats the case?
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #1887
Murlo26

I believe so yes. Your guess is as good as mine, I don't know why there are issues but the pulley's are the only difference so something has gotta be wrong there.
Old 03-14-2012   #1888
Murlo26

It still works

Getting ready to head to Shawn's place Saturday. We are going to fix pulley's and install as much shit as we can. Can't wait. Man did I miss driving this.

My car really doesn't want to idle at stoplights. Coming to a stop it really goes low and I don't want oil pressure dropping too low so I rev it to keep it up. If I start it and leave it the idle seems fine. So who knows.

Now that i cleaned out all the serpentine belt chunks/strips from the pulley, the belt seems to be fine, minus a 1/4" of belt. So maybe its just hitting something, hopefully it will be obvious.
Old 03-15-2012   #1889
turbotalon1g

Good luck on saturday, I'm sure shawn will be able to spot it if its something easy.

What's the price of E85 these days?
Old 03-15-2012   #1890
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

It's been between $2.95 and 3.15 the past month or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #1891
Murlo26

What spaz said, low $3.00 range.
Old 03-15-2012   #1892
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quite a bit of profit in that at 3 bucks.
Old 03-15-2012   #1893
turbotalon1g

Quote:
Quite a bit of profit in that at 3 bucks.
Those A-holes.
Old 03-15-2012   #1894
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Those A-holes.
Old 03-18-2012   #1895
Murlo26

LONG ass day of working on the car!

First off I would just like to say Shawn (aka simulatedwood) is the man. Could not have done any of this by myself really. Thanks for the tools, lift, time and teachings! I owe ya.

So I got to his place around 9:30am and left just about 6pm. Seems like wrenching always takes a bit longer than you think. But we got work done for sure.

First thing we tackled was the serpentine belt issue. Had to take off the undertray and another splash shield and the overflow tank and then it wasn't too terrible. It came off much easier than going back on. We spent quite a bit of time eyeballing everything and measuring the stock pulley's vs. the Hyndai ones. We ended up spacing one of the idler pulley's that tracked the belt right near the block (like 1mm) with a washer (1/2mm extra spacing). We also compared Shawns stock setup on this X for reference and made the call to space it vs. putting the stock one back on. I think we are alright on this but only time will tell. We pushed the clutch in and out to see if the crank pulley was moving the belt and it didn't seem like it was. The gates belt that DB put on really took a hit vs my old OEM one that more so frayed. The new one is OEM. I drove 60 miles home from Shawns and it still looks good but this will be watched.

Next up was brakes. I got the Ferodo 2500's and ATE superblue. We looked at my rotors and shawn said they looked pretty damn even/good. So he showed me how to take apart the brembo's and push the pistons out then I swapped out all the pads. Then we used Lomker's old Power bleeder (RIP Lomker, still helping out). Man that thing was awesome. My old pads were just below half way down it looked like. The new ones feel awesome, like a million times better. I didn't think i would notice. I needed a brake bleed for sure as now my peddle is firm again and the thing stops fast. So far no noise as we lubbed up the back of the pads/shims. I know how to swap pads now, yay!

While I did that Shawn worked on fixing my drooping exhaust. Found out one of the buschur slip fittings was installed wrong. FIxed that and now its all good.

We tried to throw on the rear sway bar but my endlinks were rusted pretty good and basically we have to destroy them to get them off. So I am going to buy some OEM replacements that Shawn recommended and we will do that in the coming weeks.

We both worked on the driveshaft bushings after all that. They were a real pain the ass with the exhaust in the way. Ugh. Took forever, but we got it done.

Then I did the rear diff bushings. All was going well until I went to screw in the last big bolt on one side with the new bushing. He has impact tools so I was using one and kind of cross threaded the bolt. We backed it out and Shawn cleaned it up on the die grinder a bit and buffed it. Then we heman'ed it in essentially. It's not going anywhere but it will need to be drilled and tapped next time it comes out...first bad news

Second bad news. Found a small oil leak. Not sure where it is coming from. It looks like the oil filter actually as the pane bolts have minimal oil on them but noticeable. I am putting this on my todo list, annoying but could be worse.

Despite those things, overall a very successful day! Got a lot done. Oh also installed the center caps for RPF1's!

But with all the good comes some bad. The worst part of the day is shown below!

When we pulled off my front tires, one looked like this and the other front was a slick on the inside but no cords showing...FUCK ME SIDEWAYS! My $1200 star specs lasted 6-7k miles, mostly driving for break ins on two motors Shawn believes the alignment was whack to begin with. I don't want to blame that for sure, but i haven't really been beating on my car much lately so who knows. All I know is I don't want tires that cost this much and last 10k and under on street driving again.

Any suggestions for something in 275's that are solid? I think 275's will give me enough traction for street driving with my power as long as they are pretty good. I just don't think i need star spec quality tires anymore as I almost never turn crazy like ya know? I go fast straight. Plus they were heavy as shit, wouldn't mind having normal weighing tires.

Thanks again Shawn! Ya da man.

Last edited by Murlo26; 03-18-2012 at 02:06 AM..
Old 03-18-2012   #1896
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

What size tire do you run? I'll find you something. I think you would probably like the Hankook Ventus V12's that I just had. They lasted me 25k miles of aggressive street driving and they handled well enough to be very fun. Simulated also ran a set of these so I'm sure he'll chime in too.
Old 03-18-2012   #1897
Murlo26

Quote:
What size tire do you run? I'll find you something. I think you would probably like the Hankook Ventus V12's that I just had. They lasted me 25k miles of aggressive street driving and they handled well enough to be very fun. Simulated also ran a set of these so I'm sure he'll chime in too.
275/35/18

A few guys on evoxforums said nt555 or ad08.

I also looked at the nt-05's last night. Installed at discounttire they are basically $1050. Not horrible but probably similar results to my star specs for wear.

I just need a good alignment.
Old 03-18-2012   #1898
Murlo26

Well, I am now leaning toward the Nitto Nt555's. Anyone used them before? People seem to think they are very good for how long they last. 300 tread wear, so almost double the star specs.

Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2012   #1899
scheides
flips McGee

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....TRZ3&tab=Sizes

I have the sumitomo HTRZIII's on my car and Anna's car, they're great tires and don't cost a fortune. They are not nearly as sticky as the starspecs I'm sure but for a street car and my casual autoX/drag racing they've served me well.

Nice work on the brakes! Not too terrible, eh? The nice thing is now you can do brakes on any brembo brake, they're all the same! And really not terribly different than brakes on any other car, but they are definitely easy as pie to hammer out in an afternoon with a friend!

Also glad to hear about the pulley situation. I'm replacing my belt soon so I hope to inspect my pulleys and see what they look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #1900
Murlo26

I thought about those ones Scheides. They are a good deal for sure. I am sure they would work but I always get nervous on stuff I don't know a lot about. Those are still on my radar for sure though.

Feels great to know the brakes now though. Seriously doing bleeding without that power bleeder is so gay. I will never do that again. Next time if I need to I will buy the power bleeder as using Shawns aka Lomkers spoiled me.

I can help you knock out the belt if you need, I figured a few things out on it. Nothing too terrible though. Also I still have my stock pulley's so if you need another OEM one I can give you one.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.