MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 05-11-2004   #1
jd1828

Send a message via AIM to jd1828
i think its time for some new brake fluid. i had to do a hard stop from 70mph and i lost almost all stopping power by 10mph. so i think its safe to say my current fluid is crap. anyone know a local place where i can get some good fluid? maybe some motul 600 or something else with a high 500 deg dry temp.
jd1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004   #2
Jacek
Captain J-Sack

Send a message via AIM to Jacek Send a message via MSN to Jacek
Quote:
i lost almost all stopping power by 10mph.
pedal fall to the floor?
Jacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004   #3
jd1828

it slowly got lower to the floor as i stopped. to a point where it was at the floor and i was still moving. the fluid in there could be as old as the car. ive only had it for 6 months and i havent changed it yet. so its actual boiling temp is probably a lot lower than it should be.
Old 05-11-2004   #4
Jacek
Captain J-Sack

i had this experiance when i had to slam on the brakes after someone pulled out in front of me to with my old car. to be able to stop and stay stopped on hills i would have to pump the brakes to maintian pressure because the pedal would fall to the floor. it was master brake cylinder.
Old 05-11-2004   #5
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Master cylinder could be leaking if the pedal is mushy or goes to the floor. Does your car have big brakes or small ones?
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #6
jd1828

small brakes, i havent had any problems with it losing fluid or any other brake problems with normal stopping. this was the first time ive had this happen with this car.
Old 05-12-2004   #7
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Get some ford blue dot. It is the 3rd best fluid. (Motul #2 and Castrol SRF #1 $$$ ) It is cheap and readily available at a Ford dealership.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #8
JustROLLIN
SpunBearing

Breakout Champion! Field Goal FootBall Champion!
If the pedal slowly falls to the floor, it is your master cylinder 90% of the time. Usually a bad secondary seal and fluid is leaking past it.
Old 05-12-2004   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Archer has some Castrol and Motul, but Motul shouldn't be used in street cars. If you dont flush often it will eat away at the seals. I used Castrol and it felt really nice but I never got a chance to really get on it since I was still breaking-in the Baers. I hear nothing but the Ford Blue so that is also a readily-available choice. My Castrol was like $7/pint, not sure what the Ford stuff costs.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #10
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Before jumping to conclusions (DSMers are notorious for this) start with the simple stuff. There is an excellent chance your problem will be resolved with a fluid change/bleed.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #11
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Castrol SRF is about $90 a liter, so you must have used a cheaper Castrol. Do a google search for Castrol SRF and Motul 600. You will find some really good spec sheets. The ford stuff is the best of the decent priced stuff.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #12
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
Mark just put Motul in the 240. He looked all over for it local, and I think he found it, but I am not sure where. I hear alot of good shit about Catrol SRF but damn I didn't know it was that spendy. We also carry it (well have access to it) and yeah, right abotu now it's about 80 per liter.

What about the Russell Fluids?
Old 05-12-2004   #13
520Talon

I don't know what the Ford Blue Dot is, but I use the Ford High Perfomance Dot 3 and it work extremely well. I pay $4 a pint at my local dealership.
520Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #14
jd1828

ill try out the ford stuff. i found some specs on it and its not the greatest stuff. its got a good dry boiling point at 550 but its wet point is 290. which is probably why racers like it so much, for its dry bp temp. so it should be fine as long as i dont boil it. if i do then at least its cheap enough to change it often.

my master cyl could be leaking but like chris said it makes more sense to start with the simple fix first. if new fluid doesnt fix it then ill start looking at the master cylinder.
Old 05-12-2004   #15
JustROLLIN
SpunBearing

Its not brake fluid. You either have a leak in your lines or you have a bad master cylinder. Fluid DOES NOT compress.
Old 05-12-2004   #16
jd1828

unless it boils and gives off a gas. then it does compress
Old 05-12-2004   #17
1Fst14B

Send a message via AIM to 1Fst14B
air bubbles sure do compress thou

ive seen it many times, it seems like alot of cars we buy from down south need to be bled/flushed after being here for a little bit of time...
1Fst14B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #18
Jacek
Captain J-Sack

the air compresses only so much and is the first thing you feel making it spongy.
if it is air in the line, it would have to be a shit load of it. but if he feels brake pressure then the pressure all the sudden falling, id say master cylinder. especially after slamming on the brakes to stop super fast.
Old 05-12-2004   #19
ABV
Admin

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
I just put Motul RBF 600 in my car. I found it at a local cycle shop (Midwest Cycle Supply) for, I think, $12 per half liter. Pretty expensive, but I only needed 1 bottle to completely fill and bleed my brake system. This is on a 240 though, so you might need more or less. I can't say what the brake fluid alone did, because when I changed it, I also changed to ss lines, and upgraded brake pads. I can say though, that with those changes, and the fluid, it made a big difference.

If I were you I would try the Ford Blue dot, stuff. I've heard good things about it as well. It has about half the wet boiling point of the Motul, but the dry boiling point is still very good, and it's much cheaper. Plus, if you change the fluid, and find out that it is in fact you master cylinder that's bad, then you wont have to spend as much for new fluid when you replace it.
ABV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #20
JustROLLIN
SpunBearing

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacek@May 12 2004, 04:02 PM
the air compresses only so much and is the first thing you feel making it spongy.
if it is air in the line, it would have to be a shit load of it. but if he feels brake pressure then the pressure all the sudden falling, id say master cylinder. especially after slamming on the brakes to stop super fast.
Exactly. If it were simply air in the lines, the pedal would have that spongy feeling. You would not have a slow decline of the brake pedal.