MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 05-04-2007   #1
Gopherkid

Send a message via AIM to Gopherkid
E-85 Question

Alright, so let me start by saying this is kinda random for this site as its for my dirtbike, but no one on the MX forum I'm on had any experience with E-85 because it's still pretty rare down south. And it seems the MN dsm crowd is knowledgeable about it. (yes, I did do a search here too)

My main question is will the gas mix friendly in a gas/oil mix? I under stand you can cut E-85 with other fuels, but I just wanted to make sure it would hold the same with oil mixes.

I normally run 100 octane plus fuel in the bike, but this summer looks like gas is getting really spendy. I was also doing some general maintenance on the piece yesterday and noticed its running VERY rich. So looking at that and fuel cost, the idea of running E-85 popped into my head. Theres only one small 6in piece of fuel line thats rubber which can be replaced, but I'm also kinda worried about the carb as its alum. I searched and herd people scream bloody murder when E-85 touches alum, so I was also curious if anyone here had first hand experience with this? (anyone running it notice drastic wear)

I know i'll most likely have to re-jet the carb if i do the switch, but it looks like I gotta do that anyways. I'm not completely sure I want to switch, but if it would work, it would be really convenient. Any advice I can get would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2007   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: E-85 Question

I would just do an experiment. Put the mix in a glass jar and see if it separates. It should mix fine, but I would check.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #3
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: E-85 Question

http://www.ethanolmt.org/switch.html

Interesting article.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote