MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 05-30-2015   #261
MorningWood

Drives: Evo 8, 2014 Silverado
Re: Project Black ValentNine AKA DSM9.0

If you need some help let me know. My schedule is a bitch to work around, but I'm sure we could find a day that I could help you put the shortblock back together. This is Troy in case you didn't know :P
MorningWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015   #262
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

As always, keep me in the loop on when you're in the garage. Always willing to help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #263
scheides
flips McGee

I appreciate all the offers for help from everyone! Love you guys you rock!!!

So check this out:

See where all that piston damage really came from? Stupid valve guide breaking...gah. I don't blame it though

16 new valves, 10 new valve guides, 16 new valve seals, a valve job and decking later:

One has a little bit of damage left but should be good to go.

One piston w/ rings is on order....
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #264
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I too have had no problems replacing one piston. The engine doesn't care if the alloy is newer in one cylinder than the rest.

Like others have said though, I'd definitely replace all bearings and freshen everything else up.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #265
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Maybe I am paranoid but I guess I would do a small overbore and go bigger pistons on something like this. I am no engine builder though, I just know how to wreck them.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #266
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Will that damage spots on the head cause any issues? Like get extra hot or anything in that area?
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #267
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Gl on the rebuild. Ensure you check the rod on cylinder #3 as well to make sure length is correct and the bearing isn't damaged. I would probably just replace bearings in the lower end at a minimum but I can't bring myself to do anything but a full rebuild on anything.

Oh and straight definitions are the same. I forget they put a slalom in the rear one.
Old 07-07-2015   #268
scheides
flips McGee

Ok time for a quick update. I developed a good case of the 'fukits' a few weeks ago, here's whats been going on:

First off, acquired new piston. Yummy!

Head was already off, pulled exhaust entirely off (easiest way), starter, and oil pan off so I'd be all set for help:

I had several offers for help swapping the piston from everyone from TKRMark, Ron@RS, etc but Troy basically showed up at my door one saturday at just the right time, in the midst of my dog being in the puppy ER and other general life madness.....and we just busted it out.

I learned how to use a stretch gauge! Awesome sauce.

I spent a bunch of time with some 600-grit sandpaper and my fingers sanding down the surfaces of the other pistons to take down any sharp edges caused by kamikaze valves. It turned out 100x nicer than I could have hoped.

THANKS AGAIN TROY!!! You are awesome, I appreciate the help and you taking the time to teach me the right way to do this!

Deck all cleaned and prep'd. Yummy!

I didn't know it but this was the beginning of thrash week before MAP Proving Grounds. Starting that Saturday I worked in my or someone else's garage on my or other cars for literally 5 days straight (plus worked a full work week 8-6 each day).

Honestly its been a while since I had a thrash session like this in my garage and it was incredibly fun! Shawn C, Dustin, Spaz, James, Matt D, Alex (neighbor across the alley), TKR Mark, Aly, their twins, my 7-year old neighbor Elliot...we all seriously threw down for a few days to get ready for racing. Literally any spare moment we had, was in the garage until 2am many nights.

Awesome sauce!

So about Tuesday I developed a serious serious serious case of the fuckits with this car. It was ready to start Sunday night and I spent all Monday night trying to figure out why the goddamn thing wouldn't start. Compression test on my janky POS tester was 0-0-0-0, timing was perfect, I was troubleshooting wiring, alignment of cam sensor plates, crank sensor plates, etc etc etc and by the time Tuesday rolled around I grabbed a beer, sat down, and dedicated my time to plan B for the racing weekend...more on that in another thread.

Raceaflais (the greek god of racing chaos) had us firmly by the balls at this point so we buttoned up as much as we could by Thursday night and headed off to the track Friday morning.

http://www.nsxfiles.com/cast_of_characters.htm

.....fast forward to this weekend, 4th of July. I had a few weekends of racing behind me, caught up on a ton of house projects (and some sleep), and finally opened the hood on this thing again. Here's what I found:

Notice anything goofy about the cam lobes in this pic? I did replace the exhaust cam but didn't touch the intake cam other than R&R it.

Look again, notice anything goofy?

The timing is set correctly, but the lobes on both cams are pointing the same direction! So I'm guessing either the alignment dowel snapped or something else happened but either way this shit is way borked.

This got mangled when it needed to be disassembled to clean out the gunk from the first build. Can't even get it off now.

See the alignment dowel pin? it should be facing the same way as the white mark on the cam gear but the cam is pointed all derpified.

I have another IX cam on the workbench already, just decided to order a new cam gear, seal, and bolt and trash all of this.

And last night, while I'm waiting for the parts to come in, I have decided that this car will no longer see the track...street duty only for this beast for a while. Don't worry I will put these parts elsewhere.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #269
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

Get it fixed and sold
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #270
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

^ What Mark said haha. Dang dsms! Good work though!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #271
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Dang dsms!
Don't let Curt hear that.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #272
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Damn, that's a string of bad luck right there.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote