MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-26-2005   #1
TurboDomestics

Send a message via AIM to TurboDomestics
NOOBIE Aftermarket Intercooler, where to start??

Im looking into getting an aftermarket intercooler, for my 16G, plans are 300-350 awhp, and thats it.

I dont have enough money to go out and buy a real nice FMIC kit, and I want to mount the ic, and make the piping myself. Hopefully,

I have no clue what size ic to get, QPR Mike said I would be fine with the factory SMIC with hardpipes and a bigger inlet and outlet.

However I'd rather play it safe, and not worry about heatsoak.

Heres my lame attempt to make it look like I at least researched this a little bit:

I figured I should get a Tube & Fin intercooler, opposed to a Bar and Plate ic, since the T&F cools better, but the B&P flows better. (right???)
Since I wont be pushing alot of air through the ic, T&F sounds like a good choice for me.

Also it seems like it would be a lot simpler to make the IC piping if bothe the inlet and outlet were on the passenger side, however I dont see many intercoolers like this, and Im assuming that there is a good reason for that.
Whats the benefit of having a side to side flowing intercooler as opposed to a top to bottom flowing intercooler???

Also what ic setup would you guys recomend for around $350??

thanks for any help, advice, or guidance in the right direction!!

-Charlie
Old 12-26-2005   #2
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Re: NOOBIE Aftermarket Intercooler, where to start??

I'd take a look at the JR intercoolers that have been sold on eBay for quite a while now. Of course they were initially ripped on because they're sold through eBay but they have been continually getting excellent reviews by people. Search on Tuners and you should come up with more information than you could ever want about the intercoolers.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #3
Bode

Drives: 01 Impala

I would go ebay, that is were I got mine and it is great, very cheap to. I would start there.
Bode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #4
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Just buy yourself an intercooler on eBay. They can be had for under $200 shipped for sizes up to 24x12x3.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #5
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Ebay Core for that budget Charlie.
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #6
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Bar-and-plate intercoolers usually flow better and cool better. Tube-and-fin and especially extruded tube intercoolers are usually cheaper to make and lighter. Flow and cooling will all depend on the dimensions of the core the turbulators though. For 300-400whp, you can run just about any piece of shit intercooler, the difference in power might only be 0-10whp between FMICs. Good intercooler deisgn becomes more important at higher HP levels and escpecially at very high boost levels.
Old 12-26-2005   #7
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

my 1g has a Road race intercooler on it... seems to be of pretty good quality, not sure what the price on it was though. Just another idea. My civic has an ebay bar and plate IC, it was cheap and it seems to be of very good quality. Can't go wrong! its 3.5" thick too!
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #8
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey
I'd take a look at the JR intercoolers that have been sold on eBay for quite a while now. Of course they were initially ripped on because they're sold through eBay but they have been continually getting excellent reviews by people. Search on Tuners and you should come up with more information than you could ever want about the intercoolers.
I actually got a chance to install and used there smaller IC core which we purchased complete for 575. JR is a great guy to deal with, his shipping is fast and well packed so you don't get bent fins like my Dejon tool one. Plus it comes with T clamps. I think there small core is plenty for you running a 16g turbo. The price is not bad. Make sure you don't get him confused with Johnny Race Core. They are two different people. Good luck on what ever you buy. You might want to check out CVD for sale add he has a Bushcar set up he is selling.
x-pride is offline   Reply With Quote