MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 08-08-2007   #1
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23
PCV System

What should I do with it? What do you guys do with it. Keep it going to the manifold or just have it vent or what?
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #2
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
Re: PCV System

If you route it to the intake manifold like stock, throw a catchcan in between the two. Get a catchcan that actually does something, like one with steel wool inside it for the oil to condense onto.

You can also remove the PCV valve and route a line to your intake pipe that connects to your turbo. You'll always have vacuum so no need for the valve. Use a catchcan in this instance too.

bottom line is negative pressure in your crankcase is a good thing, dont just do away with the whole system.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #3
blageo23
AWD4G64

Damn, I didnt want to have to hook it up. hmm, now I got to think of a way to make it look perdy.
Old 08-09-2007   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Take out the PCV valve, its not creating any crankcase vacuum with an open crankcase breather (nipple/vent on left side of the valve cover when you standing in front of the car facing the engine). If you want to create a crankcase vacuum, which is a great idea, get a product called Krank Vents. I installed them on my S2000 and oil consumption has gone down to ZERO even when I went 4500 miles on an oil change (its normal for '00-03 F20C engines to consume oil, Honda claims its due to the high performance nature of the engine and the cylinder wall lining). With the engine running, its tough to pull out the dipstick with the vacuum, but when you do you can hear the air rushing in. This will prevent the typical DSM/EVO problem of the dipstick popping out under boost. Also, the crankcase vacuum will make your engine run more efficiently and you will pick up some power (non-turbo S2000's are averaging about 3whp on back-to-back runs, the boosted ones even more).
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #5
blageo23
AWD4G64

$110 for a pcv vavle, thats kinda alot(I realize that its not just a pcv but still). Plus one of the main things is Im dont have room on my magnus to put a vacuum source. thats a main reaon I dont want to hook up the PCV. I dont even have enough room for my FPR to get vacuum.

Last edited by blageo23; 08-09-2007 at 10:53 AM..
Old 08-09-2007   #6
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kracka View Post
Take out the PCV valve, its not creating any crankcase vacuum with an open crankcase breather (nipple/vent on left side of the valve cover when you standing in front of the car facing the engine).
That crankcase breather port isnt suppossed to be open to atmosphere. From the factory that port is routed into the piping in front of the turbo which assures a constant vacuum.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #7
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

This thread topic is something I've been wondering about for a while. From the looks of it, the Krank vent seems like a good solution?

http://www.et-performance.com/turbo.html

I am not that read up on this subject, but know it's a problem with higher hp cars and for longevity. I want a solution!
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #8
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
That crankcase breather port isnt suppossed to be open to atmosphere. From the factory that port is routed into the piping in front of the turbo which assures a constant vacuum.
The problem is most DSM's are running around with them not hooked up to the intake, and also regular PCV valves leak boost through into the crankcase.

$110 for these things isn't exactly cheap, but at the same time they are serving a lot of functions. For the dip stick popping out its an actual solution, not just a patch like zip ties or springs to hold it in. I am glad I bought mine, I plan to get them for any car that I modify and consider to be my "good car".
Old 08-09-2007   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
From the looks of it, the Krank vent seems like a good solution?
They are hugely popular in the S2k-world for both N/A and FI cars.
Old 08-09-2007   #10
blageo23
AWD4G64

Im sorry I didnt get a chance to read up on the krank vent but do you need hoses off of them or what? how do they hook up?
Old 08-10-2007   #11
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blageo23 View Post
Im sorry I didnt get a chance to read up on the krank vent but do you need hoses off of them or what? how do they hook up?
You can use them on a stock emissions system or you can use them venting to atmosphere. They simply plug into the hoses coming out of the valve cover.
Old 08-10-2007   #12
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Yeah, plug it in and seal up the crank case - don't have any leaky or open ports, I guess.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #13
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
The main reason why it's routed back into the intake pipe is so the air going into the valve cover is filtered. Ther is no real vacuum on the inlet side of the turbo unless you are running a clogged air filter. 2nd reason is that if you have a worn out engine with excessive blow by, it will go into the intake system to get burned by the engine. But that can cause build up in the turbo, piping and the FMIC. The Magnus SMIM should have 4 ports on it, I'm sure one of them can be used for the PCV. Get a vacuum block or t-fitting if you need more.

I run the Jaz mini catch can/breather and it works fine with the stock PCV.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_69732_-1

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)

Last edited by 1ViciousGSX; 08-10-2007 at 07:45 AM..
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #14
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
This thread topic is something I've been wondering about for a while. From the looks of it, the Krank vent seems like a good solution?

http://www.et-performance.com/turbo.html

I am not that read up on this subject, but know it's a problem with higher hp cars and for longevity. I want a solution!

I use something simmilar to this on my car. However I didn't pay this amount of money for that! I paid like $5.00 for a pack of 4 (they came in sets). Main reason is the ones I bought are plastic and these are metal. Mine hold 125psi so I am also good on "high boost applications". These just are pretty and shiny. however they are still to be used with the PVC valve. you just splice them inline.

You still need to just buy a PVC valve even with this kit. It serves a big function. I recomend putting a filter on the line as well.

The problem I am running into is that I am running a GM MAFT and when the PVC valve is open I am pulling in unmetered air into the manifold. I will have you guys think about that for a while.

however this is what I use:

Breather side : VC -> catch can (sealed) -> intake pipe.

PCV side : VC -> PCV -> optional 2nd catch can (sealed) -> heavy duty check valve (which is what that kit offers but don't pay that amount of money!) -> intake manifold.

I recomend the catch cans on older cars. It does save on cleaning a lot of oil. I build my own using PVC pipe and painting it black.
Old 08-10-2007   #15
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ViciousGSX View Post
The main reason why it's routed back into the intake pipe is so the air going into the valve cover is filtered. Ther is no real vacuum on the inlet side of the turbo unless you are running a clogged air filter. 2nd reason is that if you have a worn out engine with excessive blow by, it will go into the intake system to get burned by the engine. But that can cause build up in the turbo, piping and the FMIC. The Magnus SMIM should have 4 ports on it, I'm sure one of them can be used for the PCV. Get a vacuum block or t-fitting if you need more.

I run the Jaz mini catch can/breather and it works fine with the stock PCV.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_69732_-1
Not picking on you but the vent on the side sees lots of vacuum when the turbo is spooling. Thats when the engine needs vacuum under boost. When it is at idle (off boost) for example, is when it doesn't see much vacuum however that when the PVC valve works and is sucking air out.

The other reason that it is routed into the intake line is because it needs metered air.

So the people that have vents on the side of their valve cover are also pulling in unmetered air through the PVC system. Kind of like what I am dealing with using a GM MAFT

Last edited by Andrew7dg; 08-10-2007 at 10:05 AM..
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #16
1ViciousGSX
Admin

If you are running DSMLink, SFAC or MAFT you can compensate for the air bleed at idle and zero in your STFT/LTFT. So the PCV air bleed will not be an issue. How's that for thinking about it?

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 08-10-2007   #17
blageo23
AWD4G64

4 Nipples on the magnus.
Brake booster
MAP sensor
BOV
FPR/Boost gauge

So lets say I have a 2" hose coming off each side of the pcv system and put the krank vents on. then thats it no other hoses need to be ran? Sorry im not understanding this too good i guess.

Last edited by blageo23; 08-10-2007 at 10:11 AM..
Old 08-10-2007   #18
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blageo23 View Post
4 Nipples on the magnus.
Brake booster
MAP sensor
BOV
FPR/Boost gauge

So lets say I have a 2" hose coming off each side of the pcv system and put the krank vents on. then thats it no other hoses need to be ran? Sorry im not understanding this too good i guess.
Yes, just put it in line.

Is that the DSM MAP sensor or for an EMS? I don't even use the DSM MAP sensor with DSMLink.

You could just tee the BOV line.

I have this;
Brake booster
BOV
FPR/Boost gauge
PCV

(#Y#)
Old 08-10-2007   #19
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ViciousGSX View Post
If you are running DSMLink, SFAC or MAFT you can compensate for the air bleed at idle and zero in your STFT/LTFT. So the PCV air bleed will not be an issue. How's that for thinking about it?

not thinking hard enough

ok you are on the highway off boost and there is vacuum in the intake manifold. That PVC valve is still opening pulling unmetered air. I just used the Idle as an example.

I am not saying that it is going to make a huge difference either. However pulling in unmetered is still kind of unwanted...
Old 08-10-2007   #20
blageo23
AWD4G64

Its the MAP for the AEM.